Obtaining a bootable Image of a Darwin CD

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

rossmac
Space Cadet

Obtaining a bootable Image of a Darwin CD

Post by rossmac »

I have installed Pear PC 0.3.1 successfully and I have downloaded and expanded a 6gib root hard drive file successfully.

Pear PC 0.3.1 sees the hard drive file, but the hard drive root file now needs to be formated.

I am following the instructions on the Pear PC site to format the hard drive by getting a copy of an .iso image of a Darwin Bootable CD and booting this image in order to format the hard drive.

http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/installdarwin.html

The above page refers me to the following site to get the .iso image of the darwin CD

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/

Unfortunately, when I try to download the .iso image of the CD from the above site, I cannot unzip the image and when I run an MD5 sum on the image, the result does not align with the posted MD5 sum on the website.

Therefore, I think the darwin image is corrupted and I am looking for an alternative image of the Darwin 8.0.1 iso CD image.

Where can I find a copy of the Darwin CD image?

/Ross
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello,

The iso file is just an image of a cd. You shouldn't need to unzip it, in fact you can't. Just start pearpc with it by setting the iso as second ide device and setting the device type to cdrom.

If you are trying to run OS X, you can format the hd-image from within OS X installer, so there is no need for Darwin.

Don't know where to get a correct Darwin iso, but I guess the one from the apple site should be perfectly OK. Maybe download it again?

Cat_7
MacOSX
Tinkerer

Post by MacOSX »

Cat_7 wrote:Hello,

The iso file is just an image of a cd. You shouldn't need to unzip it, in fact you can't. Just start pearpc with it by setting the iso as second ide device and setting the device type to cdrom.

If you are trying to run OS X, you can format the hd-image from within OS X installer, so there is no need for Darwin.

Don't know where to get a correct Darwin iso, but I guess the one from the apple site should be perfectly OK. Maybe download it again?

Cat_7
Nope it's .gz....... i had same prob but after i downloaded for the 4 or 5 time it worked.... i dunno....