MkLinux/LinuxPPC

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

fanman93
Granny Smith

MkLinux/LinuxPPC

Post by fanman93 »

I read in a guide that you can run Darwin and Linux in PearPC. Being an avid Linux user, I thought that it might be a good idea to try it out. I got to the MkLinux homepage, and found a working FTP for their pre-release disk image. Unfortunately, the download speed is unbearable. I'd rather not waste an entire day downloading one disk image, so my question is, does someone have a disk image that they could upload to an easier place to get it?
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

Did you mean MkLinux from within Sheepshaver? Or MkLinux from within PearPC?
fanman93
Granny Smith

Post by fanman93 »

Oops! I posted in the wrong area! My bad... :oops: Sorry, I do mean for PearPC. Maybe someone can change the location?
faizan123
Space Cadet

Re: MkLinux/LinuxPPC

Post by faizan123 »

Hi,

Welcome! I think you might run into problems trying to install from a DVD image. CD images would be better.
You need a PPC version of Mac OSX 10.3 or 10.4
You can set the prom_env_machargs = "-v" and prom_bootmethod = "select" so you get an overview of available partitions to boot from and can see the progress of the boot process instead of the gray apple screen. Perhaps that gives some insight into what is going wrong.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: MkLinux/LinuxPPC

Post by adespoton »

I've never had an issue with DVD images; I use them for 10.2 and up.

HOWEVER

What I usually do is copy the image to an 8GB hard disk image, and then I boot off of that to kick off the install. That's the method that has always worked best for me (even back with real images, I used to create an 8GB partition at the head of the drive and toss the install DVD on it).