New PearPC: July 13

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ClockWise
Site Admin

New PearPC: July 13

Post by ClockWise »

Wow. Five and a half years after the last release comes a new release of PearPC. Say hello to PearPC 0.5.0.

http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/

Quote:

"It took a whole lot of a while but here is finally the 0.5.0 release. This is the first release with AMD64 support. The are also a lot of smaller bug fixes and compilation problem fixes."
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Full changelog says:

"version 0.5 (released 13. July 2011):
- slightly better code for lmw/stmw opcodes
- use "GNU as" instead of nasm
- use -mdynamic-no-pic on *darwin
- fixed some strict-aliasing problems
- JITC: AMD64 support
- compiles with gcc 4.3, 4.4, 4.5"
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

This is incredible, after so many years ;-) And it works, but still has quirks like locking up with mouse movement etc. But it feels faster somehow. Perhaps I upgraded my PC during the long wait? Can't remember.

I wonder why it happened.

Best,
Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I wrote over on PearPC.net:

"Redscorp, how does your build compare to the new 0.5.0 release of PearPC? Does it include any of your work?"

He checks his thread there quite often.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The JIT still doesn't compile for OSX. Whether that is due to some silly missing include (I get a XXX not defined) or the assembly still not being compatible, I don't know.

Best,
Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I sent a note to Sebastian Biallis who develops PearPC, point out this thread and the build you did. I mentioned that the JIT doesn't compile. Maybe he will share some thoughts, or make it possible to build in his next release.

We shall see!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I just thought that perhaps the lack of rosetta in the upcoming Lion OSX version might have triggered new impulses?
Let's see if he gets back to you.

Best,
Cat_7
McIntosh
Tinkerer

New Release

Post by McIntosh »

Wow. I just finished compiling it. Time to try it out. Anyone want binaries? I can give OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD, etc BSD, and Ubuntu(not windows, that is not in my grasp) If anyone could build it for windows, that would be good for windows users. Honestly, I have no clue how to do it on win. By 'small bugs', does anyone think that that may include running OS 9? If so, that would be interesting. My guess is that that will require a ROM file. I thought that PPC was out of dev for good like SS, B2, and Softmac. I had come to an early conclusion that Mac emulating was coming to an end, mostly because of Apple's switch to Intel(hackintoshing).
McIntosh
Tinkerer

Segmentation Fault

Post by McIntosh »

This new release ended with a seg fault while running 10.2!!!