Can PearPC run YellowDog Linux?

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Xenphor
Space Cadet

Can PearPC run YellowDog Linux?

Post by Xenphor »

I searched google and found a link to a PearPC version with YellowDog 3.x but I was wondering if PearPC could run any more recent versions. Does anybody know?

And further, would Qemu be my only other option for emulating the PowerPC (besides sheepshaver)?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello and welcome!

I guess you summed up your options for emulating the PowerPC processor. PearPC doesn't run PowerPC linux versions (some efforts were made to run a later Mandriva PPC version, but these failed). SheepShaver only runs Mac OS for PPC (up to Mac OS 9.0.4). Currently, Qemu would be your only option. PPC emulation in Qemu is worked in the Google summer of code, so perhaps new capabilities (like running Mac OS) come into being.

Best,
Cat_7
Xenphor
Space Cadet

Post by Xenphor »

Will PearPC only run MacOSX or can it run the versions (9.1) of MacOS9 that Sheepshaver can't run?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

No, there is a gap between Mac OS 9.0.4 (maximum version for SheepShaver) and OSX 10.2 (minimum version for PearPC, but better support for 10.3/4).
However, as said, qemu might run 9.1 and 9.2 when further developed.
Qemu also seems to run OSX: http://nnucomputerwhiz.com/run-osx-in-u ... -qemu.html

Best,
Cat_7
Xenphor
Space Cadet

Post by Xenphor »

Okay well now I have a somewhat unrelated question. If I wanted to buy a PowerPC mac, what would be my best choice as far as compatibility and performance? Ideally I would like a model that would afford me with enough speed/power for any PowerPC applications as well as be compatible with anything I would like to run. It would also be nice if it were something like a Macmini that did not take up a lot of space (independent/no integrated monitor). I wouldn't want to spend that much money for something that old so it would also have to be cheap/easy to find. I don't suppose you would know of any models that fit this description?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

EDIT: Didn't realize answer was the wrong one. Sorry.
Last edited by emendelson on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I would say you basically have 2 options:
-a G4 mac mini that runs OSX
-a G4 1.25Mhz which is the last model that can still boot Mac OS 9, but also runs OSX

Best,
Cat_7