Mac-on-Mac in PearPC

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ClockWise
Site Admin

Mac-on-Mac in PearPC

Post by ClockWise »

Just for fun, I spent a few hours trying to get Mac-on-Mac working in 10.3 inside of PearPC. But PearPC crashes every time when Mac-on-Mac is trying to boot. An old post on PearPC.net also suggests that Mac-on-Mac doesn't work in PearPC.

But has anyone here ever tried? Anyone have more success than I?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

"Em" on Macscene is trying to do the same thing. He wrote:

"OK: I think I've got myself a way to get 9.1 through 10.0: archlinuxppc in pearpc, with MoL (MacOnLinux) running inside. I'll let you know how it goes... I tried MacOnMac already, but haven't had any luck getting it to actually boot anything. Since the project is dead, but is rolled into MacOnLinux which is still alive, I'm hoping bugs are fixed."

http://macscene.net/component/kunena/75 ... .html#2553
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

Err... wouldn't it make more sense to use MoL with the faster QEMU PPC? Just saying. :wink:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Mac-on-Mac in PearPC

Post by adespoton »

Figured I might as well revive an old thread and post here with update:

I wasn't able to get MoL running (yet)... I may try again with QEMU PPC. Definitely tricky stuff, and I don't have much time to work on it.

-Em.

Current list of functioning OS-in-an-apps (they can all run at the same time):
Macintosh System (Mini vMac)
System 1.1 (Mini vMac)
System 2.0.1 (Mini vMac)
System 5.1 68k (Mini vMac)
System 6.0.8 68k (Mini vMac II)
System 7.0.1• 68k (Windows BII via WineSkin)
System 7.1.2 68k (Windows BII via WineSkin)
System 7.5.5 68k (Mac BII)
MacOS 7.6.1 68k (Mac BII)
MacOS 8.1 68k (Mac BII)
MacOS 8.6 PPC (Windows SheepShaver via WineSkin)
MacOS 9.0.4 PPC (Mac SheepShaver)
MacOS 9.2.2 PPC* (Mac SheepShaver) *This is 9.0.4 with most of the guts of 9.2.2 moved over, but the system file is still 9.0.4.
OS X 10.1.5 PPC (Windows PearPC via WineSkin)
OS X 10.2.8 PPC (Windows PearPC via WineSkin)
OS X 10.3.9 PPC (Windows PearPC via WineSkin)
OS X 10.4.11 PPC (Windows PearPC via WineSkin)

Still haven't got Mac OS 10 DR2 (Rhapsody) running reliably (MoL supposedly runs it), nor OS X Public Beta (with date hack) or OS X 10.0. The latter two ONLY run in MoL.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Wow,

That is some list of setups you assembled over time!

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

After attempting a few variations, I'm still stumped as to how to go forward (hopefully I'll get it running eventually).
Right now I'm attempting to install Debian Woody PPC under Q (PPC). I've also attempted it under barebones qemu-ppc with no success, and have even tried a custom patch compile of 0.14 against gcc (compiling the most recent gcc to run under 10.7).

Anyone know the magic combination to get a functioning PPC linux (preferably Debian variant) under qemu? Once I get this far, I should be able to create a single portable app binary of Mac-on-Linux that will actually run as a MacPPC-on-MacX86. I'll post full instructions when I get that far :)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi, these images work for me:

http://people.debian.org/~aurel32/qemu/powerpc/
They run on qemu-powerpc (at least in windows)

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Thanks; I found those too. They let me run lenny, but I've got a bit of a repo headache now that lenny's been moved to archive status -- it doesn't work well with the Mint install script (Mac-on-Linux is being actively developed under Mint, and some stuff they're doing on there doesn't seem to like default deb very much).

I'm also considering the Google Summer of Code project from 2010 that attempted to compile MoL right into qemuppc -- they never got it fully integrated AFAIK, but I'm willing to attempt to tinker with it if the other solutions are too slow/don't work out.
sentient06
Mac Mechanic

Post by sentient06 »

adespoton, I have a VMWare Fusion working image of Rhapsody DR2. I got from a torrent. I tried the installation steps, but the emulator crashes, so I never managed to finish all the process.

Look for it and update your list! :wink: