Windows 7 and Mac OS X Tiger, prohibitory sign on PearPC

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

BigMacintosh
Space Cadet

Windows 7 and Mac OS X Tiger, prohibitory sign on PearPC

Post by BigMacintosh »

Hello. I am new to this forum. I've searched everywhere in this forum and on Google for a solution to the problem I'm having, but I couldn't find it, so I thought I should ask.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed with boot camp on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2.53ghz, mid-2009). I've been trying to get Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger working on PearPC. I know there's a port for Mac, but just to be on the safe side, I decided to use Windows.

I'm using PearPC 0.5.0, and I put all the files I needed in C:\Pearpc (the 6GB disk image) and the Tiger install disk that I called "1.iso" (it's the CD-ROM version of Tiger, not DVD).

I built the config file with the pearpc control panel, and I modified it a bit myself, here it is.

Code: Select all

pci_ide0_master_installed = 1
pci_ide0_master_image = "C:\Pearpc\pearpc-6gib.img"
pci_ide0_master_type = "hd"
memory_size = 0x40000000
ppc_start_resolution = "1280x720x32"
redraw_interval_msec = 60
prom_driver_graphic = "C:\Pearpc\video.x"
ppc_start_full_screen = 0
key_toggle_mouse_grab = "F12"
key_toggle_full_screen = "Alt+Return"
key_change_cd_0 = "none"
cpu_pvr = 0x00088302
pci_3c90x_installed = 1
pci_3c90x_mac = "de:ad:ca:fe:12:35"
pci_usb_installed = 1
prom_bootmethod = "select"
prom_env_bootargs = ""
prom_env_machargs = ""
nvram_file = "nvram"
pci_ide0_slave_installed = 1
pci_ide0_slave_image = "C:\Pearpc\1.iso"
pci_ide0_slave_type = "cdrom"
Instead of running it with the control panel, I used pearpc.bat, which contains this code.

C:
 cd C:\Pearpc\
ppc.exe "ppc.cfg" > "C:\pearpc\log.txt" 
When I open the batch file, I get the splash screen, but after a minute or so, I get the dreaded "prohibitory sign" (AKA "no sign"). The Apple logo gets replaced with that sign (a circle with a line through it) and there's still the cartwheel below. But it's stuck there forever.
I was afraid that this was a still waiting for root device error. I changed the line prom_env_machargs = "" to prom_env_machargs = "-v" and yes, it gets stuck there.

This is what the log ("log.txt" in my batch file) says, if it helps at all.

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as published by
the Free Software Foundation.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111 USA

GenuineIntel
 CMOV MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3
[CPU/MMU] new pagetable: sdr1 = 0x00300003
[CPU/MMU] new pagetable: sdr1 accepted
[CPU/MMU] number of pages: 2^15 pagetable_start: 0x00300000 size: 2^18
start: 0
Loading XCOFF...
[CPU/CPU] execution started at 05600adc
[CPU/MMU] new pagetable: sdr1 = 0x3fc0003f
[CPU/MMU] new pagetable: sdr1 accepted
[CPU/MMU] number of pages: 2^19 pagetable_start: 0x3fc00000 size: 2^22
[IO/CUDA] <Warning> keyb reg1
I tried changing everything I could (making the hard drive slave and the CD master, the type of CPU, the memory, the network), but I still have problems. Is it a problem with my computer? Or the CD image? Should I try using the Mac port of PearPC? The CD image was ripped from the retail DVD with Disk Utility on Mac OS X, and then converted to ISO on Mac OS X with a program called Damage Isolation.

I've also tried starting from scratch and building the file with the PearPC Virtualbox GUI, but nothing changes.

Any help is appreciated, thank you very much.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Windows 7 and Mac OS X Tiger, prohibitory sign on PearPC

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi, welcome!
The CD image was ripped from the retail DVD with Disk Utility on Mac OS X, and then converted to ISO on Mac OS X with a program called Damage Isolation.
You can't rip a CD from a DVD ;-) You need the 4 Tiger CD's (PowerPC version, not Intel.)
I believe you don't have to do a conversion to .iso, as the images you rip with DiskUtility, when not compressed, are OK to boot PearPC with. If you want you can rename them to .iso but that's not required.

You might set:
prom_env_bootargs = "-v" to get verbose setup info.

-Can you also describe what choices you have in the pearpc window to boot from, e.g. the partition list of the CD image?
-Where did you get the 6 Gb image from? Did you expand it to its original 6Gb size?
-Best not to activate networking for install.
-Set the CD image as master, the HD as slave. However, when you need the second disk during install, set the HD as master first. But try to minimize the installation by selecting only the bare minimum software for installation at first.

The OSX version of PearPC is dead slow, so you choice for using Windows is OK. And I don't believe there is anything wrong with your machine per se.

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
BigMacintosh
Space Cadet

Re: Windows 7 and Mac OS X Tiger, prohibitory sign on PearPC

Post by BigMacintosh »

Whoops, brain fart! I have the version with 4 CDs. The CD image was ripped from the CD, not the DVD. I'll try using the original dmg instead of converting.
I've already tried the verbose mode, as I said it says still waiting for root device.

-It doesn't ask me for anything, as soon as I start I get the apple logo.
-I got the 6gb image from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pearpc/ ... ib.img.bz2
I extracted it with winrar, I knew I was supposed to wait a while. I waited, and it extracted successfully.
-I'll try disabling it.
-Already tried it.

I will retry everything tomorrow. Thank you very much for the reply