10.2 ok in 0.4, but no networking - help please?

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

humbug
Space Cadet

10.2 ok in 0.4, but no networking - help please?

Post by humbug »

First apologies if everyone runs away in horror at what I'm trying to do.

My Win7Home is the 64-bit system on an Intel i5 cpu (2 cores, 4 concurrent threads, 2.5GHz) laptop and I keep it up to date with necessary software patches using Windows Update and Secunia PSI. My laptop accesses the internet using the Wireless network adptor connecting to my DSL router.

PearPC is a PowerPC emulator - I'm using version 0.4 which is said to be fine with Mac OSX 10.2. I got this all installed and working and am somewhat amazed that it does work. Of course, it is incomplete without being able to access the world outside of itself - shared drives and the internet.

There are some very plausibly comprehensive (to me, but I may be very naive) guides on PearPC.net explaining how to get networking going and they all involve using a single instance of OpenVPN TAP. None of the methods suggested there are working for me.

My most recent attempt involves bridging the Wireless adaptor and the TAP adaptor. From the Mac OSX side, I cannot ping anything on the Windows side, but interestingly when I open System Preferences on the Mac side and then examine the Network, it reflects some properties not set by me in Mac OSX, but seemingly detected via the bridge - it shows the ip-address, the subnet mask, and the default gateway. It kind of seems like I'm not far off getting it working, but I'm missing some key step.

Ok, I confess to not having much understanding of networking and bridging.

Is there a kind soul willing to help me out to get this solved?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Re: 10.2 ok in 0.4, but no networking - help please?

Post by ClockWise »

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for any help. I think that the PearPC user base these days consists of... well... you.

Maybe Cat_7 might have an idea when he visits the forum again in a couple of weeks.

Maybe a forum search will turn up something. PearPC used to have a lot of users.
humbug
Space Cadet

Post by humbug »

Thanks for putting me out of my misery, kind of :-)

I'll hang on a little longer to see if Cat_7 has any suggestions.

So has Mac PPC emulation completely died or moved to something else like SheepShaver?
BasiliskII seems fine for 68k emulation, I have a few Hypercard things I'd like to resurrect.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I expect Cat_7 to be back next week.

For Hypercard I would rather use SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator that can run classic MacOS. Hypercard runs in MacOS, not in MacOSX. As far as I know, PearPC can run early versions of MacOSX, but not MacOS and not the Classic environment in MacOSX.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

As our wiki points out, PearPC's development sort of ground to a halt when it became possible to run OS X natively on the x86 platform. At that point, most users didn't have much use for the emulator.

PPC Emulation is still very popular, of course. There are many people who use SheepShaver. But the usage is different: most people use it to support their old software from back in the day.

For what it's worth, I'll point out that you are not using the most recent version of PearPC. There is a .5 release from July of last year:

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/pearpc

I also suggest that you read about the redscorp build of PearPC, which is experimental:

http://www.pearpc.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5523

I think it dealt with networking at some point. Maybe start on page one, and keep reading until you find something. :)

Sorry we can't be of more help.
humbug wrote:Thanks for putting me out of my misery, kind of :-)

I'll hang on a little longer to see if Cat_7 has any suggestions.

So has Mac PPC emulation completely died or moved to something else like SheepShaver?
BasiliskII seems fine for 68k emulation, I have a few Hypercard things I'd like to resurrect.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi all,

The latest Redscorp PearPC build allowing networking through winpcap. How it works is described somewhere on the pearpc wiki. But it involves several changes tot the pearpc ini file

It is described here: http://www.pearpc.net/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... =30#p47546

The "normal" networking option works indeed works through the VPN tap adapter. Whether it works bridged or normally is a matter of trail and error, and whether it works with wireless connections is also unclear. I never tried that. I have a hunch that networking 10.2 requires running an older version of Pearpc (0.3 comes to mind) and the tap device.
Somewhere deeply buried in the forum there is a post on how to get networking going with 10.2 I'll see if I can find it.

There is info on networking 10.2 over here:
http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/apsl.html It tells you how to install the 3com network adapter driver, which is needed to network 10.2

And then here is the post about networking 10.2, it involves quite some fiddling:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... ked+pearpc

EDIT: currently it is easier to network 10.2 (I used PearPC 0.5) Just install the OpenVPN connect software, share your internet connection and install the 3com driver in OSX. Set the network to use an IP address one higher then the tap device and use your real DNS entries.

Someone should write up a small guide on the forum wiki about these specific issues....

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: