MacOS hangs after first reboot in PearPC

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

huoqianyu
Space Cadet

MacOS hangs after first reboot in PearPC

Post by huoqianyu »

Hello everybody! I'm new here so if I did sth wrong please forgive me...:)
The problem is that I recently installed MacOS 10.1 in PearPC and after copy the files it needed a restart, but after restart(Before that I removed the ISO), it only appears a gray screen with a very small computer but not an apple. I waited for 2 hours but nothing happened. So I started with ISO ,but it soon booted into the install program again.

Could you tell me how to solve the problem?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: MacOS hangs after first reboot in PearPC

Post by adespoton »

You have to treat 10.1 very carefully in PearPC to make it work. The first thing you'll probably want to do is blow away your nvram file. It will create a new one on first launch. After that, make sure that you don't cross-polinate your 10.1 nvram file with any created by another version of OS X -- they aren't compatible.

If you have the same issue again after first reboot, try rebooting a few more times; with a clean nvram file, it usually comes back eventually, and then you should be trouble-free.
huoqianyu
Space Cadet

Post by huoqianyu »

adespoton wrote:You have to treat 10.1 very carefully in PearPC to make it work. The first thing you'll probably want to do is blow away your nvram file. It will create a new one on first launch. After that, make sure that you don't cross-polinate your 10.1 nvram file with any created by another version of OS X -- they aren't compatible.

If you have the same issue again after first reboot, try rebooting a few more times; with a clean nvram file, it usually comes back eventually, and then you should be trouble-free.
Thank you very much! May I ask another question? My MacOS 10.2 are two mdf files but not ISO. I tried to convert them to ISO but failed, I mounted them as CD Drive but PearPC cannot read them. How to solve this problem? Thankyou!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Mount them as a CD drive, and create an ISO off of the mounted drive (on your host). Either that, or use disk imaging software that can natively convert from one format to another. It's been a while since I've done this on Windows; I can't even recall the best software for handling/converting MDF.