What filesize does PearPC ACTUALLY demand?

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

What filesize does PearPC ACTUALLY demand?

Post by Silent Flamer »

I have the latest version of PearPC here (from 2011), I'm just using it temporarily to test my new OS X 10.2 discs. They're in .iso format, they're fine.

I tried running PearPC a few times, and it keeps complaining about my HDD. When I first ran it, I was trying to use a 1 GB disk made by HFVExplorer. Rejected, with the 512096 bytes error. I interpreted that is 512 MB, a.k.a. half a GB. 1 GB should be multiple of that. I was puzzled.

Then, both in the control panel program and in some topics around here, 3 GB and 6 GB HDD images are recommended. Since HFVExplorer cannot go that high, and I will hell not waste 3 GB of my bandwidth for a test, I decided to use PowerISO to make a 3 GB file for me. 1 GB was listed as 1024 MB, so I reckoned 3 GB would be 3072 MB, but just to be sure, I told PowerISO to just make "3 GB" and voila, it made a 3072 HDD image.

I loaded it again on PPC, and it still complains with the same error.

Should I ask PowerISO to make a disc that is EXACTLY multiple of 512096 bytes (so for 3 GB I would ask it to make a 3072546 byte HDD image)? Or is that the wrong way to go, or there's an easier method?

The last time I used PearPC, it wasn't this confusing...it worked pretty fine...This time everything seems a bit vague.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Re: What filesize does PearPC ACTUALLY demand?

Post by ClockWise »