PearPC in OS X via WineSkin

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

PearPC in OS X via WineSkin

Post by adespoton »

I figured I'd start a thread for this, as setting it up via WineSkin is much faster/stabler than the OS X build -- and JIT is enabled.

Basic instructions: get the latest version of WineSkin and create a skin. Then copy the PearPC folder into the drive_c folder. Select Advanced, and select ppc.exe as the executable, and your config file name as the EXE flags (eg, ppc.cfg).

You'll need the 6gb image in your pearpc folder, and you'll probably want an install cd/dvd image in there too, both set up in the config file.
Last edited by adespoton on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: PearPC in OS X via WineSkin

Post by adespoton »

Now that I've got this thread started, here's the bits I've been having issues with:
1) Alt is mapped to the left command key.

2) I haven't been able to get the TUN driver installed inside WINE -- I'm not sure if it's possible, or if there's some other way to trick the system into using a working network interface. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Other than these two issues, this creates single-app OS X bundles with everything you need to run PPC OS X 10.1 through 10.4.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote:Now that I've got this thread started, here's the bits I've been having issues with:
I posted a basic technique for fixing mistaken Alt-key remapping in Wine here:

http://portingteam.com/topic/9966-xmodm ... __hl__vdos

You will almost certainly need to modify this to suit what you're doing. That same forum might provide an answer to your TUN driver question if you sign up and ask.

Could you possibly give more details of exactly how you created the PearPC folder, etc., so that those of us who have never tried it at all can get started? Thank you!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Wine and wineskin provide a basic windows environment to run Windows applications in Linux or OSX. Nothing else is needed to run PearPC. If you already have a running version in Linux or Windows, you can just copy the files to the wineskin you created. Some settings, such as paths need to be altered in the pearpc prefs file, and you need to set the executable (ppc.exe) to use the prefs file. Then you're good to go.

Alas you can't install openvpn (for the tap based networking capabilities of standard PearPC) or winpcap (for the Redscorp versions) in your Wineskin, otherwise you might (wineskin permitting?) also have network access.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

emendelson wrote:
adespoton wrote:Now that I've got this thread started, here's the bits I've been having issues with:
I posted a basic technique for fixing mistaken Alt-key remapping in Wine here:

http://portingteam.com/topic/9966-xmodm ... __hl__vdos

You will almost certainly need to modify this to suit what you're doing. That same forum might provide an answer to your TUN driver question if you sign up and ask.

Could you possibly give more details of exactly how you created the PearPC folder, etc., so that those of us who have never tried it at all can get started? Thank you!
cat_7 covered the basics. As for the alt-key remapping, it turns out Doh123 already thought about that; I think I found the bit for that in his latest version of Wineskin.

As for the portingteam site... http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/ ... eam/page-7 (my relationship with The Porting Team predates the website) -- but you're right; I should ask some of those guys. More likely, it'd be the winehq forums that'd provide my answer though.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

To answer the inevitable questions in more detail:

To use WineSkin, you can either use the GUI and follow the fairly clear buttons, or you can right-click on a package once you've created it, and view contents. Inside, is the drive_c folder.

What you'll need to do with pearpc (I use 0.5) is download the zip folder and uncompress it. Take the resulting pearpc folder and put it in drive_c. Inside that folder, you'll need ppc.exe, ppc.cfg a 6gp disk image, and your install ISO. Set up ppc.cfg to point to the appropriate bits as the guide on here shows, and follow the instructions in my first post on setting up the wineskin wrapper. Then all you need to do is double-click the wrapper (the .app that you viewed the contents of), and it'll fire off the ppc child process (complete with pear icon).
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote:As for the alt-key remapping, it turns out Doh123 already thought about that; I think I found the bit for that in his latest version of Wineskin.
Could you explain what this means? What is "the bit for that"? By "his latest version of Wineskin" I think you mean this:

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php

But maybe I'm wrong? And is there a version later than 2.5.12, which is what I use for the DOS project I'm working on?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote:"the bit for that":
http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-i ... +-+Options
- See the bit for mapping Alt to Opt
Ah - that's what you meant! I couldn't get it to work the application I was using. It uses SDL for the keyboard, not standard Windows, and that might have been the problem. It's why I needed to create the .Xmodmap file..
marka4
Space Cadet

Post by marka4 »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

Alas you can't install openvpn (for the tap based networking capabilities of standard PearPC) or winpcap (for the Redscorp versions) in your Wineskin, otherwise you might (wineskin permitting?) also have network access.

Best,
Cat_7
Are there still no options for networking with Wineskin on Mac OS X?

Thanks,
Mark
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

marka4 wrote: Are there still no options for networking with Wineskin on Mac OS X?

Thanks,
Mark
Nope.