Can't run PearPC in MacOSX via Wine

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

tempbeta
Space Cadet

Can't run PearPC in MacOSX via Wine

Post by tempbeta »

First, please forgive my poor English.

i am a beginner in wine, i try to run pearpc virtualboxgui in mac via wine ( crossover, winebottler or wineskin ), i create a config for 10.4, when i click start, it gives me vbgui runtime 445 error, if i run pearpc, it gives me such errors: pearpc.cfg: '"' expected in line 1. usage: ppc configfile

please help me to fix it, thanks a lot !

:smile:
Last edited by tempbeta on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Can't run PearPC in MacOSX via Wine

Post by adespoton »

We'll need a bit more info; I've found that some versions of SDL and some versions of WINE don't play nicely with PearPC, but that doesn't appear to be your issue -- your issue appears to be with your config file.

So, here are the questions:
1) What version of PearPC are you using?
2) What version of WINE are you using?
3) Have you tried WineSkin? I find it's the simplest method, as I can just drop PearPC in it and create a runnable App with the drive image and the ppc.cfg inside -- one for each OS version I want to use. It also contains its own versions of X and SDL, which helps.
4) Are you able to run other similar programs using the same techniques? If you run from Terminal, what errors are reported? What errors are reported in Console.app?

My guess is that answering these questions won't solve your problem (except maybe using WineSkin), as your config file appears to be the issue.
tempbeta
Space Cadet

Post by tempbeta »

adespoton wrote:We'll need a bit more info; I've found that some versions of SDL and some versions of WINE don't play nicely with PearPC, but that doesn't appear to be your issue -- your issue appears to be with your config file.

So, here are the questions:
1) What version of PearPC are you using?
2) What version of WINE are you using?
3) Have you tried WineSkin? I find it's the simplest method, as I can just drop PearPC in it and create a runnable App with the drive image and the ppc.cfg inside -- one for each OS version I want to use. It also contains its own versions of X and SDL, which helps.
4) Are you able to run other similar programs using the same techniques? If you run from Terminal, what errors are reported? What errors are reported in Console.app?

My guess is that answering these questions won't solve your problem (except maybe using WineSkin), as your config file appears to be the issue.
1) I using PearPC v0.5 and v0.4.
2) I tried Crossover 13.1, Winebottler 1.6.1 stable and WineSkin Winery 1.7.
3) I tried WineSkin Winery 1.7. I create the config file by PearPC Virtualboxgui, and tested the config file in Windows XP, so i think there is no issue with the config file.
4) I can run PearPC Virtualboxgui via Wine, but i don't know how to debug it in terminal.

Could you zip the runable pearpc wine-bundle and send it to me? I wanna see how you config the wine to make pearpc run correctly. Thanks!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I'll see if I can zip it up tonight, sans disk image. It should just require a drop-in image to start up correctly.
tempbeta
Space Cadet

Post by tempbeta »

adespoton wrote:I'll see if I can zip it up tonight, sans disk image. It should just require a drop-in image to start up correctly.
I found the reason why I can't run pearpc via Wine in Mac OS X:

I use VirtualBox to create a virtual Windows XP, install pearpc virtualboxgui to generate a config file, then i drag it from virtual machine to Mac OS X.

I need modify the master_image and slave_image paths, so I open the config file via TextEdit.app, because of my Chinese Locale, if I modify the line that contains quotes, such as the image path line, TextEdit.app will auto change the " to “

That's why Wine always show me this error:
ppc.cfg: '"' expected in line 1.
usage: ppc configfile

Now I fix it and run smoothly.

Thank you so much, adespoton !
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Ah yes; never use TextEdit to modify XML and config files; it doesn't usually end well. If you absolutely need to use TextEdit, ensure that you save as plain text and not rich text -- that sometimes fixes the problem.