Any opinions on MintPPC (Linux Mint for PowerPC)?

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

kikkoman
Master Emulator

Any opinions on MintPPC (Linux Mint for PowerPC)?

Post by kikkoman »

I'd actually like to try my hand on a Mac/PPC 'flavor' of Linux (after almost 4 years since I last tried it on my 6100). And after doing some light scouring, I have happened upon MintPPC. I've heard and read that it is fairly light, comes with the bare essentials for a productive, low-horsepower desktop, and works on an iMac G3.

In my case, I'll be installing it on my iMac G3/600 Snow (with DVD). But since I don't want to spend hours (or even a whole day) downloading something, if I can't have some assurance that my mileage won't vary, I'd appreciate your input and advice if you, yourself, have happened to try this particular Linux distro.

http://www.mintppc.org/about

Also, apparently, this 'distro' doesn't have a stand-alone .ISO file to download when compared with other flavors of Linux. So I guess i'd have to download some other Linux, install just the 'core' of it all, and then install the "MintPPC" portion on top of that... well, I guess i'm asking for a world of hurt, aren't I? lol.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I guess you should look here for downloads?:
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

edit: Nope, only x86 and x64 versions

I would be interested to see how you fare. I still have a 4400 with G3 upgrade and a G3 266 Mhz doing next to nothing.
Perhaps running a small web server would be interesting.

Best,
Cat_7
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

Well, I managed to install MintPPC on my G3 iMac (slot-loader model).

It boots, but it just refuses to launch any sort of GUI. The error has something to do with some sort of xorg.conf issue, which I had hoped to have been able to avoid.

Man, there are times when I wish that Linux would someday be intelligent enough to do away with the need to configure or edit settings using text commands or text editors. If only the chore of both installing -&- configuring Linux was as straight-forward as using the SheepShaver/Basillisk II GUI.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

The X-Server can be a nuisance at times.
If your display is not auto configured, you will have to poke with a console to update drivers.
Really no fun. I am hating the command line interface, but sometimes I must use it.
Did you look at the old Mandrake 9.1 distro already?
Someone told me it was not too bad.
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

With regards to Mandrake, no. I don't mean to sound stuck up or anything, but I really don't want to fuss around with any other Linux distro, once I have my mind set on one that I am already working on. And while I do have broadband, it is actually a very, very slow broadband, and I really, really don't want to waste my time downloading iso after iso after iso... ya know? Sure, there's bittorrent, download managers, and all that... but I also don't want to deal with any of those neither. lol.

For the record, I once tried to get linux on my 6100 with a G3 upgrade card.... but since none of the distros i tried worked, I ended up with 6 totally useless CD-ROMs. And I downloaded half of them on dial-up, and the other 3 when I first got my slow-ass broadband. Frustration? Aye. :?
linuxopjemac
Space Cadet

Post by linuxopjemac »

Just come to the MintPPC forum. For most iMacs I have working xorg.conf files.
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

i'm rkmugen... lol ;)
anhem
Space Cadet

Re:

Post by anhem »

linuxopjemac wrote:Just come to the MintPPC forum. For most iMacs I have working xorg.conf files.
hi ..i need mintppc 11 and cannot download it.....do u know where i can find mintppc?