16-bit programs on 64-bit Windows

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

UbuntuXP
Tinkerer

16-bit programs on 64-bit Windows

Post by UbuntuXP »

I think I figured out how to get intergrated 16-bit compatibility mode on 64-bit versions of Windows. Just base it off of WINE's source code, modify it to build and run under Windows, and try running some old Windows programs (i.e. Microsoft BOB) in it.
"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things."

Doug Gwyn
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: 16-bit programs on 64-bit Windows

Post by adespoton »

Or you can just run them in DOSBox -- although then you need a copy of Windows 3.1.1 as well, if the software in question uses PE.
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

However some 16 bit libs might not be available.
Just have a VM of 32-bit windows, that's what I do.
UbuntuXP
Tinkerer

Post by UbuntuXP »

I could (in fact, I do), but a more seamless experience is better.
"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things."

Doug Gwyn
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

UbuntuXP wrote:I think I figured out how to get intergrated 16-bit compatibility mode on 64-bit versions of Windows. Just base it off of WINE's source code, modify it to build and run under Windows, and try running some old Windows programs (i.e. Microsoft BOB) in it.
You make it sound like you're the first person to ever think of this in the last ten years. That's rather off-putting.

In fact, http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOnWindows has been around for ages, but unfortunately it seems as if no one is interested in taking this project to the point of being useable. Apparently Wine is so dependent on the nature of Linux that it is no trivial task to "modify it to build and run under Windows". (I understand the WineD3D libraries, which translate Direct3D calls into OpenGL, are somewhat useable in certain circumstances, however.)

There's been some interesting progress lately in getting Linux to run in unofficial builds of DOSBox. It's the most promising sign I've seen so far of actually getting Wine to run in Windows – though you could just as well use a VM instead. I understand XP mode in Windows 7 is already pretty "seamless".
UbuntuXP
Tinkerer

Post by UbuntuXP »

Yes, I knew about it, it's just 64bit versions of Windows lack 16bit compatibility, and now someone could make it useful.

EDIT: Also, I was thinking about Windows 8 users like me, though I would like for all 64bit builds of Windows as well.

Doug Gwyn
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Well, the best bet is to compile it and all its dependencies under Cygwin or MinGW. Best bet is probably MinGW-w64, where you could compile it directly for a 64-bit target instead of running in 32 bit compatibility mode.

Or, install GNUStep and compile it in there :D
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

adespoton wrote:Well, the best bet is to compile it and all its dependencies under Cygwin or MinGW.
The aforementioned link suggests neither of those options works very well and particularly that "Win16 is disabled in Cygwin". Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if the information was out of date.
UbuntuXP
Tinkerer

Post by UbuntuXP »

I'm also thinking about comparing ReactOS source code to Wine. ReactOS might be better anyways.

Doug Gwyn
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

ReactOS and WINE share code; I think you'll find there isn't really a difference.

After the ReactOS source tree got compromised and they had to start from scratch, they used WINE as their starting point. The goals are different, but the code, flaws and all, for loading, parsing and executing PE headers, API calls and code structures is identical.

However, one major difference is that ReactOS handles driver code, where WINE doesn't, as it is implementing the entire OS instead of just the API layer.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Apparently because of a recent kernel update, even 64-bit Linux can't run 16-bit programs using Wine anymore.
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22568
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I find this ironic...
If you want to run 16-bit Windows software on a modern OS, you now have to...
Use a Mac.

(or run it under DOSBox of course)
aris95
Space Cadet

Post by aris95 »

It is possible to install MS Virtual PC 2007 and virtual 32-bit windows in it, i'm not sure if the Virtual PC 2007 is still downloadable from Microsoft but maybe there are some mirror sites...?
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

aris95 wrote:It is possible to install MS Virtual PC 2007 and virtual 32-bit windows in it, i'm not sure if the Virtual PC 2007 is still downloadable from Microsoft but maybe there are some mirror sites...?
Hint... F746D8E0CD8934A507A4702CDCFA3EC092FC6F60
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

I see no particular reason not to just use VMware Player instead; it's probably a little more up-to-date.