Login  •  Register

The time is now: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:34 am

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:41 am 
Space Cadet

Hello everyone,

from time to time I set up a classic Mac system in order to play some of my old games like Wolfenstein 3-D. Until now I used BasiliskII with System 7.5.5 but after reading about qemu-system-ppc I reated a VM with a Mac OS 9.2.2 system and installed the game there. This seems to work great. However, the game does not start because it seems to be confused about graphics: "No color-capable monitors are connected to this system." (needless to say: the Mac OS renders in full color)

Playing around with the setup a bit I found that the game actually starts when I boot the VM in 8 bit color mode (by appending x8 to the resolution). It actually seems to run at acceptable speed and mouse control seems to be better than in BasiliskII. Problem is, this 8 bit mode seems to be grayscale only, so it is still unplayable.

Any idea how to force 8 bit _color_ (256 color) mode or else trick the game into running?

Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:30 pm 
Forum All-Star

Yes; use the new build that was just released, and use the 256 color ndrv file to enable 256 color mode.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:24 pm 
Space Cadet

adespoton wrote:
Yes; use the new build that was just released, and use the 256 color ndrv file to enable 256 color mode.

You mean the Windows/Mac builds? They won't do me any good as I am using Linux. However: is this upstream functionality which will sooner or later be available in Fedora's Qemu package (currently on 2.9.1) or some kind of unofficial patch?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:12 pm 
Expert User

You can still download one of the builds and use the desired driver. It is just a file that works on any platform.

Best,
Cat_7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:07 pm 
Forum All-Star

To clarify, run the build script on Linux, and then drop in the vga binary blobs from the windows/mac builds.