Tips for getting going on Windows?

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

peter_j
Tinkerer

Tips for getting going on Windows?

Post by peter_j »

I have followed what I could find of instructions here - thank you for all the guides.

Trying to install Panther. Things go fine until the business of accepting the license - the sheet pane drops with the buttons but the mouse cursor turns into the beachball and hides behind the sheet pane and no mouse cursor will show on the sheet. Many attempts with no luck. Any pointers?
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Re: Tips for getting going on Windows?

Post by kataetheweirdo »

This is a known bug. Right now, you can download the version of QEMU from July 15, 2016 to install Mac OS X Panther. This can be download from https://qemu.weilnetz.de/. Afterward, you can use the version from July 23, 2016. This is a regression that needs to be fixed in the future. Personally, I'd suggest waiting until at least 2.7.0-rc2 gets released.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

This is from our known issues list:

Using no cpu parameter results in booting with a G4 cpu. This leads to loss of mouse/keyboard control during installation of OSX. Explicitly set -cpu G3 for such installations.

Perhaps you try this and report back.

Best,
Cat_7
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Thank you. Setting the cpu to g3 solves the problem. I managed to run the install via the first CD, swapped the disk/cdrom positions on the "reboot" so as not to boot the installer again, but Qemu will not boot the hard drive. Just sits there in the yellow screen and glowers at me.

I also tried the build for Win32 on 14/07/2016 - no better.

I will keep fighting. Thanks for the help.

EDIT. Stupid me! Forgot to change to boot c. Trying again.

EDIT 2. Got it up finally. But the bizarre and infernal mouse behaviour makes it pretty well unusable at this stage. I will wait for newer releases.
Telorand
Space Cadet

Post by Telorand »

Maybe try adding (without quotes): "-usbdevice mouse -usbdevice keyboard" to the batch file (I don't know if also adding -usb is important. Didn't seem to matter for me). My mouse was jittery and basically unusable in both windowed and fullscreen before I added those.

According to the QEMU documentation, those parameters override the default PS/2 configuration. Hopefully that helps! Now, if only my installer would quit hanging during file installation. Anyone else experience that?
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Thanks very much for the tip. Sadly no luck yet - this PC has PS2 devices, but I did plug in a second (usb) mouse. I'll try later or tomorrow at home where the PC has usb kbd/mouse.

( I have not tried full screen mode - a pet hate of mine ;) )
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Well, the saga continues...

I have yet to find any solution to the mouse pointer problem in windowed mode. The pointer keeps hitting a vertical or horizontal "brick wall" past which it will not move.

A LOT of frustration, aggravated by how slowly this emulator runs. A couple of installs done, then the hard drive won't boot.

BUT! The good news of the day is that Qemu will run (most of) the hard-drive-images I have set up for PearPC. Jaguar, Panther and Tiger all come up (if slowly) but I cannot get any sense at all with Puma, or trying to install it fresh.