Some Qemu NOOB questions

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

peter_j
Tinkerer

Some Qemu NOOB questions

Post by peter_j »

I have been battling to find answers on the net here. Windows user.

1. I see from the Mac batch commands some have posted that the disk image names can be quoted like -drive file="somefile". On Windows Qemu does not seem to like this. Is there a way?

2. Some of the wip binaries and/or bios files automatically use sdl. I acknowledge that not using sdl leads still to mouse craziness, but, if using sdl, is there a way to get the actual Qemu window to open at a specific size? I know you can drag the corner and make the initial small screen visible, but the sdl screens are always blurry. And would that help?

3. Is there a way to specify the Qemu parameters in a file ( .conf or something ) instead of the long command line?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Some Qemu NOOB questions

Post by Cat_7 »

1. Works this way: -drive file=d:\Qemu\10.3.raw,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=d:\Qemu\10.3Disk1.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom

2. initial window size is set in the source (800x600). If you then use -g 1024x768x32 in the command line, you get that size cramped into the initial size window. Blurriness is indeed an sdl problem. I'm looking to build a windows version that uses gtk or sdl2. It is not blurry, but has mouse problems.

3. It is possible to split the command line into single parameters and then use the ^ (caret) to append them. Don't forget a space before the caret!
example:
d:\Qemu64\qemu-system-ppc-wip.exe ^
-bios d:\Qemu64\openbios-qemu-wip.elf ^
-L d:\Qemu64\pc-bios ^
-boot d ^
-m 512 ^
-M mac99p ^
-prom-env "auto-boot?=true" ^
-prom-env "boot-args=-v" ^
-sdl ^
-net nic,model=sungem ^
-net user ^
-drive file=d:\Qemu\10.3.raw,format=raw,media=disk ^
-drive file=d:\Qemu\10.3Disk1.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Thank you for the detailed info. Pondering... :wink:
sidoh
Tinkerer

Post by sidoh »

Cat_7 wrote:initial window size is set in the source (800x600). If you then use -g 1024x768x32 in the command line, you get that size cramped into the initial size window. Blurriness is indeed an sdl problem. I'm looking to build a windows version that uses gtk or sdl2. It is not blurry, but has mouse problems.
Actually, this can be fixed when QEMU starts. Just use the key combo Ctrl-Alt-U to set the resolution to the correct size. If it still seems blurry, press Ctrl-Alt-U and everything will be fine.
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

sidoh wrote: Actually, this can be fixed when QEMU starts. Just use the key combo Ctrl-Alt-U to set the resolution to the correct size. If it still seems blurry, press Ctrl-Alt-U and everything will be fine.
Pretty marvellous! That helps a lot. Thank you. :smile: