AppleTalk network between two PCs with Basilisk II

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

SSS wrote:OK, I'm thinking I'm almost there. On both Basilisk II's, I upgraded the AppleShare client (to have the Server IP Address button in Chooser) and Open Transport. I can connect to other file servers over IP (I tested it and I got the "Connect to the file server "blah blah" as:" window), but I can't connect to the other Basilisk. I enter the IP Address of the other Mac, but then Mac OS hangs and does nothing. Can anyone help?
Did you set up some software to link between the two?
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

PPC_Digger wrote:
SSS wrote:OK, I'm thinking I'm almost there. On both Basilisk II's, I upgraded the AppleShare client (to have the Server IP Address button in Chooser) and Open Transport. I can connect to other file servers over IP (I tested it and I got the "Connect to the file server "blah blah" as:" window), but I can't connect to the other Basilisk. I enter the IP Address of the other Mac, but then Mac OS hangs and does nothing. Can anyone help?
Did you set up some software to link between the two?
No. What software do I need?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Did you configure file sharing like I described in an earlier post in this thread?

QUOTE:
2. In Control Panel "File Sharing" (not sure if this is the correct name as I have a Dutch installation of OS 8 )
-Fill in a different network identity for both machines (Name, password, computer name)
-Start File Sharing

3. Make sure in the Appletalk control panel at "connect through" you have selected "ethernet"

4. Start the Chooser, click on Appletalk "Active" if it is not already active
-Click on AppleShare and the other computer should show up.
END QUOTE

Cat_7
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Cat_7 wrote:Did you configure file sharing like I described in an earlier post in this thread?

QUOTE:
2. In Control Panel "File Sharing" (not sure if this is the correct name as I have a Dutch installation of OS 8 )
-Fill in a different network identity for both machines (Name, password, computer name)
-Start File Sharing

3. Make sure in the Appletalk control panel at "connect through" you have selected "ethernet"

END QUOTE

Cat_7
Yes, I did that.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

SSS wrote:
Cat_7 wrote:Did you configure file sharing like I described in an earlier post in this thread?

QUOTE:
-Start File Sharing

END QUOTE

Cat_7
Yes, I did that.
You do use two loopback adapters, don't you? Because if you do, you must link them. You can't expect packets to be forwarded magically. Install WinGate.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

PPC_Digger wrote:
SSS wrote:

QUOTE:
-Start File Sharing

END QUOTE

Cat_7
Yes, I did that.
You do use two loopback adapters, don't you? Because if you do, you must link them. You can't expect packets to be forwarded magically. Install WinGate.
I haven't installed the loopback adapter on the other machine, and what WinGate software do I need? WinGate or WinGate VPN?
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

SSS wrote:
PPC_Digger wrote:You do use two loopback adapters, don't you? Because if you do, you must link them. You can't expect packets to be forwarded magically. Install WinGate.
I haven't installed the loopback adapter on the other machine, and what WinGate software do I need? WinGate or WinGate VPN?
It doesn't matter, as both do what you need. However, WinGate VPN has much more options, so to not get confused, I would suggest the regular WinGate.
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

I think your problem is that your second machine doesn't use a standard NIC card and that is tripping up Basilisk II. My advise: Buy a standard NIC card for your second computer and save yourself the hassle.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

I know this is a really old topic, but I figured out how to do it (after a million years and a day ;)).

First, on the server Basilisk II, what I did was instead of using the NAT/Router module, I changed the configuration to use Ethernet instead. (I did the same thing with the client Basilisk II on my other computer.) I then set the TCP/IP control panel on both BII's to configure itself from the DHCP server. But, I found that, on both machines that was assigning it the host OS's IP address, so in order to avoid an IP conflict, I had to configure both manually using the same settings that the DHCP configured it, except for the IP address. I gave both BII's IP's that weren't in use by any machine on my network. After that was done, on the server Basilisk II, I enabled File Sharing in the Sharing Setup control panel (obviously). Then, I installed ShareWay IP, a program that takes an AppleTalk file server and enables it for TCP/IP connectivity (AFP over TCP/IP), and started ShareWay IP. On the client Basilisk II, I installed the AppleShare Client version 3.7.4 (so that BII could connect to the TCP/IP server). I went to the Chooser, and clicked AppleShare. The server didn't show up in the list, but I clicked the "Server IP Address..." button, typed the IP of the server BII in, and the log in window appeared. :mrgreen:

Screenshots:
Server Basilisk II (running on Windows XP): Image

Client Basilisk II (running on Windows Vista): Image
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Wow, that is what I call "persistence" :lol:

Good to see you got it running.

Best,
Cat_7
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Yet another bump here, but I manage to figure out how you can setup a pure AppleTalk network (no TCP/IP translation involved, unlike my previous setup), which was what the original poster was asking how to do. Anyway, here's how I did it:

- I connected a standard CAT-5 Ethernet cable between the two PCs with the Basilisk II emulated Macs I wanted to network. Oddly enough, this worked (I though you HAD to buy a special crossover ethernet cable for something like this to work, but apparently I was wrong). I configured the "Ethernet" tab in the BII GUI on both machines appropriately.

- Enabled Open Transport on both machines, configured Ethernet to determine IP address using DHCP server, again, on both machines.

- On the Basilisk II that I was using as the server, I configured and enabled file sharing. I was basically finished there, and just had to go to the Chooser on the client Basilisk II, select the server BII, and connect.

Here are some screenshots:

Image (server Basilisk II)