Installing an OS via floppy disk

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

lithiumdeuteride
Space Cadet

Installing an OS via floppy disk

Post by lithiumdeuteride »

I'm using Basilisk II build 142 with a Quadra 630 ROM on a Windows XP SP2 machine.

A Basilisk guide I read offered a hard disk image containing a bare-bones implementation Mac OS 7.5.5. I was able to boot successfully from this disk image, as well as format a large hard disk image file I created with Basilisk.

The guide suggested I then download Mac OS 7.5.3 from Apple's site and install it to the large disk image file. However, I'm running into a couple problems trying to do this:

1) Mac OS 7.5.3 comes on 19 Mac-formatted 3.5 floppy disk images, and I don't own a physical floppy drive, nor will my virtual floppy drive mount these images.

2) The Basilisk preferences editor recognizes my virtual floppy drive (A:) just fine, but I don't know how to check if the Mac OS recognizes it. I am dubious, because the preferences editor also recognizes my physical and virtual CD drives, yet the Mac OS does not respond when a CD or CD image is loaded/mounted into these drives. I have placed both floppy and CD drive letters in the list of drives to send to the Mac OS.

So basically I have no way of getting data from Windows into the Mac OS, so I can't install a full OS or any of the classic games I wanted to play.

I'd be grateful for any assistance you could offer.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Do you have HFV Explorer installed? It can read the disk image you use with basilisk and the floppy images. That way you can move data to a disk image and use it in Basilisk.

HFV Explorer: http://www.fenestrated.net/~macman/stuf ... exp131.zip

Best wishes,
Cat_7
lithiumdeuteride
Space Cadet

Thanks. I was able to copy the disk images to the HFV file and install Mac OS 7.5.3 successfully.
lithiumdeuteride
Space Cadet

Now I have a new problem: the games I install run much too quickly. Is there a way to throttle the speed of execution?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I don't know, maybe someone else knows.

Best,
Cat_7
lithiumdeuteride
Space Cadet

The problems I now have are limited to Brickles running at about 100 times normal speed, and several other games demanding that I change to 256 or 16 colors.

When I set Basilisk to the appropriate number of colors in the "screen" tab, it does not have an effect on the Mac screen output, and the games still ask me to change to 256 or 16 colors. In the Mac OS, the only option listed in the Monitors control panel is millions of colors, regardless of the screen settings in Basilisk.

How can I get the Mac OS to display fewer colors?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

There should be an option to set Basilisk II to 256 colors within the GUI. Don't recall what tab it is in offhand... but it is there.

Some old documentation, just for tips and stuff is over here:

http://mes.emuunlim.com/projects/basilisk2/b2.htm
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

A few notes about colors:

"Q: When I try to run a certain game (example: Escape Velocity), I get an error message that says something about a "Monitor Tool" and the game won't run.

A: The game requires 256 colors as most 68k Mac games do. Basilisk II cannot switch resolutions "on-the-fly" during an emulation session. You will need shutdown Basilisk II and set it to 256 colors using the Monitors tab of the Basilisk II Configuration Utility (BasiliskIIGUI), then try again.

Q: My desktop is gray and the Desktop Patterns control panel won't work. But the Monitors control panel says that I have thousands of colors.

A: You are using a Mac operating system pre-OS 7.6. Basilisk II has a long-known bug where this problem occurs on older OSes if Basilisk II is set to higher then 256 colors. If you change to 256 colors, your desktop pattern/picture should be there. Also, if you are using a more recent Mac OS and experience this problem, it could be your ROM checksum."
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Have you checked that BasiliskII GUI saved the colour settings to the prefs file?

I have changed to 256 colours recently using the GUI and it has worked fine.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Doo hoo, I didn't read the original post properly. I suck.
lithiumdeuteride
Space Cadet

I switched to Windows GDI display mode, and it solved the number-of-colors problem. However, I still can't run Brickles at normal speed. Is there no way to throttle execution speed?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

That hasn't really been addressed. It came up on the sourceforge forum a long time ago:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php? ... um_id=6132

The recommendation of trying out mini vMac for your really old 80s games is probably your best bet.

There is an idea over here, but I don't think it will help:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php? ... um_id=6132