Using Basilisk to transfer programs to old mac

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

rbiondi
Space Cadet

Using Basilisk to transfer programs to old mac

Post by rbiondi »

Hello guys,

This is my first post here. I have two intel macs: a mac mini dual core (10.4) and a mac book core2duo (10.5). And I also have a Mac Color Classic (7.3) in great shape which I'd like to give to my son for educational learning.

I installed Basilisk in mac mini and I'd like to ask what is the best path to transfer programs to old mac. Here, where I live is very difficult finding a SCSI CD-ROM, so I thought buying a cheap USB floppy drive and connect to Mac Mini. But some SIT files are greater than 1.44mb, then I'm trying Basilisk to install programs in a virtual hard disk and then, copying separate files to floppy disks and rejoining in Mac Classic.

But there are some files greater than 1.44mb... And I'd like to ask you if is there a suggested freeware file splitter/joiner for mac 68k.

Thank you too
Rogerio
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Is it possible to use Stuffit Expander?

I've not used Stuffit for splitting files so I can say how to do it but I'm sure it is possible.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

That would be the complete Stuff-it program. The free expander can't stuff and span archives over multiple disks. Stuff-it is not freeware.

Best,
Cat_7

Right, I cleaned up after myself.....
Last edited by Cat_7 on Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Going a bit crazy with the Submit button there Cat? :lol: (I see the site has been a little slow/unresponsive today)

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought it could but hadn't seen the option in Stuffit Expander.

I have come across free archiving software for MacOSX but can't remember the names of any of it or what it does.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Apple's Disk Copy lets you segment disk images into separate files that can be mounted again as one joined volume.
Disk Copy is usually installed with the system. Disk Copy 6.3.3 (for System 7.0.1 and later, 68k and PPC) can still be downloaded here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60353
rbiondi
Space Cadet

Thank you too much

Post by rbiondi »

After doing some research there are also two programs to help splitting and rejoining:

In MacosX: Split & Concat
For System 7: Chunkjoin

Both are available in site

http://www.pure-mac.com

Thank you
rbiondi
Space Cadet

No way

Post by rbiondi »

Hello,

Unfortunatelly when I drag and drop files to Chunkjoiner icon, they are only moved over it, don't start program. The same for Stuffit Expander. Do you know if System 7.1 supports Drag and Drop?

My USB floppy could not mount in Basilisk both in Windows or OSX (10.4).

I have Stuffit Deluxe in MacOSX and splitted a sample program in three parts, but could not rejoin in Color Classic using Stuffit Expander. It seems I need a "Drop Stuff with Expander Enhancer". I found Stuffit Expander 4.5 and Drop Stuff 4.0, but Expander refuses to install in System 7.1.

Thanks