Networking under Mac OS X

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

danaris
Space Cadet

Networking under Mac OS X

Post by danaris »

Greetings.
I've been trying for some time to get networking running properly in Basilisk II. My host system is a MacBook Pro running 10.5.8 and my guest system is a Quadra ROM running 7.5.3. I am configured to use slirp networking, and I have tried both manual and DHCP network configuration.

I'm pretty good with networking in general, but it seems like the guest OS just isn't getting anywhere (slirp networking not functional?).

Any help would be most appreciated :-)

Dan Aris
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Did you use the network software selector to select open transport networking?
And set the TCP / IP control panel to connect through Ethernet and configure through DHCP?

That should do the trick.
Cat_7
danaris
Space Cadet

Post by danaris »

Cat_7 wrote: Did you use the network software selector to select open transport networking?
Yep. Actually, it was already set that way when I opened the NSS.
And set the TCP / IP control panel to connect through Ethernet and configure through DHCP?
Yes; as I said, I tried both manual configuration and configuration over DHCP.

If only it were so simple... ;-)

Dan Aris
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Did you actually try to access the internet with, for instance, a web browser? If TCP/IP is set to load only when needed (can be changed in Options in TCP/IP Advanced Mode) and using DHCP, Open Transport may not be activated (and thus no IP-address etc. will be obtained) unless an application asks for a connection.

If setting TCP/IP control panel to Ethernet and DHCP does not work, you can enter the needed values for slirp networking manually:
IP address: 10.0.2.15
Subnet Msk: 255.255.255.0
Router Address: 10.0.2.2
Name Server Addres: 10.0.2.3

(Using classic networking in 7.5.3, the same values will work when entered in MacTCP.)
danaris
Space Cadet

Post by danaris »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Did you actually try to access the internet with, for instance, a web browser? If TCP/IP is set to load only when needed (can be changed in Options in TCP/IP Advanced Mode) and using DHCP, Open Transport may not be activated (and thus no IP-address etc. will be obtained) unless an application asks for a connection.
Hmm, no, I didn't, actually; I saw that DHCP wasn't obtaining an IP address, and when I tried the manual configuration I saw that I couldn't ping it.

...Well, I'll be darned. It worked. I guess I'm so used to our always-on connections I never even considered the possibility that it wouldn't try to get an IP address immediately ;-)
(Using classic networking in 7.5.3, the same values will work when entered in MacTCP.)
Um...how do you actually set values in MacTCP? I've tried poking at it some, but it's extremely different from modern network settings, and I can't seem to figure out how to actually get it to do anything sensible...

But that's mostly for my curiosity; the Basilisk II OpenTransport networking is now working :-D

Thank you very much.

Dan Aris
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

danaris wrote:Um...how do you actually set values in MacTCP? I've tried poking at it some, but it's extremely different from modern network settings, and I can't seem to figure out how to actually get it to do anything sensible...
Configuring MacTCP for slirp networking in BasiliskII:

In MacTCP control panel, highlight the Ethernet icon
Then click "MORE..."

Obtain address "Manually"

Gateway Address: 10.0.2.2

Your IP address: 10.0.2.15

Set Subnet Mask with the slider to: 255.255.255.0

For the Domain name Server Information:
First row: A dot "." in the left field and 10.0.2.3 in the right field
Second row: Just a dot "." in the left field.
It should look like this:

Code: Select all

.          10.0.2.3
(The dot in the second row is a workaround for a bug in MacTCP. You can enter more than one DNS address, but always use an extra row with just the dot.)

You can ignore other settings, the defaults will be OK.

Usually the Mac needs to be restarted after configuring MacTCP in order to make things work.