Trouble setting up networking on OS X "error of type 3&

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

jepjepjep
Space Cadet

Trouble setting up networking on OS X "error of type 3&

Post by jepjepjep »

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting networking working. I have installed System 7.5.3 under Mac OS X and I get the error "The application 'unknown' has unexpectedly quit, because an error of type 3 occured." whenever I try to set the TCP/IP settings. If I try to open iCab for example, the system crashes. I've set it to use slirp and changed to OpenTransport in the Network Software Selector. Anyone know what is causing this error message or what it means?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I get the error "The application 'unknown' has unexpectedly quit, because an error of type 3 occured." whenever I try to set the TCP/IP settings.
1. Does the error occur when you try to open the TCP/IP control panel or when try to change settings or when you close the control panel?

2. Which version of BasiliskII do you use (specifically, from where did you download it)?

3. Which version of MacOSX do you use and on what kind of machine (Intel or PPC)?

4. Do you use the 68k version (Pre2.99b) of iCab?
jepjepjep
Space Cadet

Post by jepjepjep »

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for being so helpful on this forum.

1. The error occurs when I close the TCP/IP control panel. I can open it and change the settings without problem.

2. I'm using the latest version of Basilisk from this forum that supports fullscreen in OS X.

3. I'm using an intel macbook with Leopard.

4. Yes, I'm using the Pre2.99b version of iCab.

I was able to get networking to work by using MacTCP and classic networking and following your instructions from another post. I was also able to get networking working through OpenTransport by using Mac OS 8.1. Any idea what the error message means though?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

jepjepjep wrote: Any idea what the error message means though?
This is the official explanation of an error 3:

ID=03 Illegal Instruction
The computer has a specific vocabulary of machine language instructions it can understand. If a computer tries to execute an instruction that isn't in its vocabulary, you see this error code. It's less likely than error 02, but still very common.

Doesn't help much, does it. Could be anything. You could have tried removing the TCP/IP preferences and restarting.

Maybe the combination of ROM file and 7.5.3 did not allow using OpenTransport. I remember that there were some Macs that could not use OpenTransport until 7.5.5.
HankDazzle
Space Cadet

Re: Trouble setting up networking on OS X "error of type 3&

Post by HankDazzle »

I realize this is thread necromancy of the extreme kind (5 years later) but I just want to say I had the same problem as OP and found a resolution, at least in my case.

I had set the RAM on my machine to 512MB as some tutorial I found said "set it to whatever you want". Reducing this to a more reasonable 128MB eliminated my "error of type 3" messages and I was able to use the TCP/IP panel just fine.

I'm using the old world ROM (Performa) in order to run OS 7.5.3 and even 128MB seems excessive -- those maxed out around 36MB!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I'm surprised 128MB worked -- we're talking the 24 bit days, so you should only be addressing up to 16MB RAM. 32 bit Macs should address up to 4GB RAM. Best to keep the memory size on 7.5.5 and lower to 16MB max.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I use BasiliskII OSX with System 7.5.3 and 7.5.5 with RAM set in the GUI to 256MB (ramsize 268435456). Works fine. The MacOS system recognizes all of it, the About this Macintosh window shows 262,144K of memory.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Refreshed my foggy memory with Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_mem ... -bit_clean

And...
http://lowendmac.com/trouble/32bit.shtml

Looks like System 7.0 onward could do 32-bit addressing and so the OS itself should be good up to 4GB, assuming you're running in 32 bit mode instead of 24 bit mode (set in the Memory control panel).

also:
One more problem is that some of the earlier Macs (Mac II, IIx, SE/30, IIcx) didn't ship with 32-bit "clean" ROMs, meaning they couldn't operate in 32-bit mode without some help. Connectix created a program, Mode32 (search the page for "mode32"), which let Macs with "dirty" ROMs operate in 32-bit mode. Apple licensed the software, allowing any Mac user who needs it to download a copy for free.
So it looks like to address more than 8MB RAM (due to funky addressing), you need a 32-bit clean ROM or a dirty ROM with the MODE32 extension enabled. However, as BII patches a bunch of stuff anyway, I'm not sure if this holds true in the emulator. Which ROM are you using, Ronald?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

As far as I am aware, 32-bit is the default setting in Memory control panel in System 7.5.x.

I do not know exactly which rom file I use. I got a whole bunch downloaded years ago and I forgot the source. The one I use is 1,048,576 bytes. I have at least six rom files of that same size, I suppose all essentially the same one but each labelled with a different name. Could be a Performa rom or a Quadra rom.

For System 7.5.1/7.5.3/7.5.5 I use settings: 265MB RAM Size, Mac Model ID Quadra 900, CPU 68040

For System 7.0.1 I use settings: 16MB RAM Size, Mac Model ID Mac IIci, CPU 68020
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

..and as both of those are 32-bit clean, there shouldn't be an issue on the ROM side, assuming the ROM is compatible with the gestalt ID reported. I do notice your IIci setup only goes to the 16MB theoretical limit though :)

I've generally tried to keep my memory settings true to the original hardware, and haven't had any type 3 errors in all the years I've been using BII :)
Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

However, as BII patches a bunch of stuff anyway, I'm not sure if this holds true in the emulator.
Yeah, none of the 24-bit talk applies to Basilisk II, as it always forces 32-bit with its patches.

MODE32 only works with real Macs, as the OS under emulators like Mini vMac MacII will not boot (I’ve seen it just go to another volume to start up, get the blinking '?' disk, etc.).

Basilisk II isn’t really 24-bit compatible, and Mini vMac MacII isn’t really 32-bit compatible, currently.  The lack of 32-bit compatibility explains some issues with 32-bit QuickDraw’s dependencies, which can include “white expanses,” or problems with QT movies— though the problems regarding QT under SheepShaver may have more to do with screen depth assessment (none of these emulators fully set the screen device settings; the Apple menu shows up as the black character, other graphics may show up monochrome).

But back to the point of the topic…from 2009: type 3 errors in networking.

Type 3 errors are typical when running the emulator with JIT on (CPU instructions recompiled into native).

Massive RAM sizes can promote problems given the software for real Macs never expect them (under 256MB recommended), but sizes too small can also cause instructions not handled by B2 well to be executed, breaking the ability to run multiple programs at once unless raising it to at least somewhere above 8MB.  There appear to be a number of bugs in the OS, as well as in the emulation, causing all sorts of ‘undefined’ values (including old 32-bit native pointers) to show up.  (It’s amazing that I can get MacsBug to work at all, with one of the versions of B2.)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

sorry... tangent again. Which version of B2 are you getting Macsbug to work on? I've been trying to do that for years!
Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

I’ve mentioned my getting MacsBug to work before, on another thread; but here, I’ll add some detail.

The debugger is very sensitive, and probably will only work under 32-bit Windows (not 64-bit), with Basilisk build 142 only, running mainly OS 7.5.5 exactly. The debugger is sensitive enough that you shouldn’t boot the disk image with any other emulator, how they may alter the disk (I had to replace mine with a backup).  It’s easiest to start out with the 7.5.5 starter disk, and just put MacsBug in the System Folder.  If that doesn’t work, then it probably won’t run at all (emulator hangs instead of getting the 640x480 MacsBug screen, on top of the regular screen).

There are additional problems if you do get it working, such as having to fix the stack pointer all the time (less of a problem if the _Debugger trap is in an A6 link frame), and in the occasional case, having to reboot with the mouse cursor with the MB menubar when the keyboard doesn’t work.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

ah; so setting up MB with the menubar param is a must.
Original post: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... bug#p46581

What version of MacsBug are you using there? I presume earlier than 6.5.3 if it's on 7.5.5.
Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

With B142, the last version, 6.6.3.

Note that Mini vMac is able to run all versions of MacsBug, however not the mouse/menubar versions (6.6.x) due to MvM-II’s trouble with 32-bit mode; 6.5.x are the last versions that MvM currently support.

Update: with build 142, the required OS to get MB running without hang may vary, but really only in the 7.5-7.5.5 range.  Back when I was stuck with Windows Me, I remember using 7.5.0, straight off the Performa 636 it was installed on (which is more buggy than 7.5.5, for the most part); MacsBug in the Me setup gave "Bus Error" messages instead of "Illegal Instruction," and you couldn’t 'step,' which made it useless.  So OS 7.5.5 exactly should be the target, with maybe v6.6.3 preferred.