BasiliskII MacOSX Universal build 4 October 2009 available

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

jaoswald
Space Cadet

Post by jaoswald »

Sorry to belabor this, and thanks for the information, but are you using the XCode project in src/MacOSX, or are you using your own XCode project based on src/Unix and src/Unix/configure? The XCode project in src/MacOSX seems to be broken in CVS HEAD as well.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I never used a XCode project for building BasiliskII. The one that can be found in BasiliskII source is Nigel Pearson's. It is old and has not been updated to work with 10.4 or later.

I compiled BasiliskII as is described in the compiling guide: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/com ... r_basilisk

If I remember well, my 4 October 2009 build was made with SDL 1.2.13, and compiled in Leopard against 10.4 SDK.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The current code from cvs doesn't build using the xcode project. It does build using gcc manually as in the guide, but the results suffers from what I think are SDL memory claim errors and a "no pool in place, just leaking memory" error from some NSxx function. I remember this error bugged SheepShaver as well, until someone fixed it.

What you can build now runs, but not from the package after make basiliskII_app only the executable itself runs when you set memory very low and don't use high resolutions or the jit-compiler. And even then it only sometimes runs.

Cat_7
jaoswald
Space Cadet

Post by jaoswald »

Oh, I think I understand now, by Xcode version numbers you are referring only to the version of gcc, etc. in the Developer Tools, using them from the command-line, and not using the XCode IDE. Sorry for my confusion.

I was hoping to get the nice Cocoa interface from the src/MacOSX, but it seems that portion gets even less developer attention than the src/Unix building on Darwin/SDL.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

That interface is used in the BasiliskII port by Nigel Pearson. It can be built in OSX 10.2 and possibly 10.3. The source has not been updated in the past 5 years.

On Nigel Pearson's site you can still find old versions with that interface: http://web.netcall.com.au/~pear_compute ... iskII.html
shellhrs
Space Cadet

Post by shellhrs »

I've read about running System 7 using Basilisk II on Windows XP. I followed the instruction from http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup and from http://wiki.oldos.org/Mac/68kEmulator on my XP-only PC, and it worked.

I also have a Macbook Pro running OSX Leopard. I have XP running using Vmware Fusion there without any problem. But now, I'm wondering if I can run System 7 using Basilisk II here. I tried the steps from wiki.oldos.org, but I couldn't even install Aladdin StuffIt Expander for Windows 5.0 into the emulated XP.

Have anyone tried running System 7 using Basilisk II on Windows XP inside Vmware Fusion on Mac OSX before? (Sorry for this unusual system, but I prefer not to run Basilisk II directly under OSX to simplify its removal someday.)

Thanks in advance.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

shellhrs wrote:Have anyone tried running System 7 using Basilisk II on Windows XP inside Vmware Fusion on Mac OSX before?
Please start a separate new topic for your question. This topic is about BasiliskII for MacOSX, not about BasiliskII for Windows inside a Windows virtual machine in MacOSX.
(Sorry for this unusual system, but I prefer not to run Basilisk II directly under OSX to simplify its removal someday.)
Managing BasiliskII is easier in MacOSX than it is in Windows for most purposes and if you keep all related files inside one folder, trashing that folder will remove everything except for the files .basilisk_ii_prefs and .basilisk_ii_xpram in your Home folder.
andii
Space Cadet

Post by andii »

Hi,

I had the BasiliskII set up on MacOSX, however it seemed to have 'died' on me. I tried to re-install the emulator by trashing the basilisk folder i used and re-downloading all the components.

however, when i run the newly downloaded GUI, it comes up with the old disk images in the directory from the previous basilisk that i trashed. I can remove the 'old' disk images and install up to when you open basilisk and get the floppy error, however it stays on that page and doesn't change.

i was wondering if there's a way to completely remove BasiliskII from my Mac hd, so that the GUI is empty when i start it up from a freshly downloaded file?

I have also looked for the two files you mentioned in your previous post (.basilisk_ii_prefs and .basilisk_ii_xpram), however finder couldn't locate them on my Mac.

many thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Those files are invisible in the Finder (all files with names that start with a dot are normally invisible in the Finder).

You can either use a utility that can make invisible files in the Finder temporarily visible and trash the files, or you can use Terminal to remove the files.

Launch Terminal, and type:

Code: Select all

rm .basilisk_ii_prefs
followed by a return, and

Code: Select all

rm .basilisk_ii_xpram
again followed by a return.
andii
Space Cadet

Post by andii »

Thank you very much Ronald !! you've solved my problem, basilisk is up and running again !!

thanks again!