Is Speed Disk good for Basilisk?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

IPalindromeI
Tinkerer

Is Speed Disk good for Basilisk?

Post by IPalindromeI »

I'd be using the Norton Utilities 2.0 version, would it do any good?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I am using the Version 5 SpeedDisk for all my emulation images.
It might be a god idea to defragment files once in a while.
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

Speed Disk doesn't work with my disk , somehow . It only can show the fragmentation map (which shows a crazy mapping) but cannot optimize it . I don't think this will happen with smaller disks , but just telling (my disk is well over 1GB) .
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

Wouldn't it be faster (and more efficient) to just create a new, blank disk image and then just copy all the files to the new disk image? Or would doing so just copy fragmented files onto said pristine disk image? Or would doing so simply place the files onto the new disk but as if they were non-fragmented?

I admit that I don't know much about file systems and what-not... but I assume that if you duplicate a disk image that contains fragmented files, you'll end up with an exact duplicate of the disk; fragmented byte for fragmented byte.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

File fragmentation may not be such a big issue with images, on the other hand Speed Disk is pretty fast,
at least with the Shaver. However it will not handle volumes with open files (objekts in use) on it.
To optimize your volumes, best boot from a seperate volume with Speed Disk on it, to process you other disks.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

And copying everything to a new disk fresh disk image will indeed also result in non-fragmented files.