Really stupid question...

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ignats
Space Cadet

Really stupid question...

Post by ignats »

There is no "Unix" volume when I run Basilisk II, though the other volumes seem to be working fine. I'm not sure why this would happen. Help? I'm new to this...
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

What host system are you running? Windows? Mac OSX?
In Windows the shared disk is called "My Computer" on the Mac OS desktop. If you are running OSX or Linux, the shared disk is called Unix.

So, using the preferences editor, you need to enable the shared folder.
In Windows, you tick the box before "Enable My Computer on the Mac OS desktop" on the volumes tab of the preferences editor and choose which windows disk you want to shared.
In OSX, you need to enter the path to a folder that you want to share between Basilisk and Mac OSX.
You can read up on how to set it up exactly here: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/bas ... iliskiigui

Best,
Cat_7
ignats
Space Cadet

Thanks!

Post by ignats »

Embarrassingly, I missed a space in the name of my Basilisk II folder. Sigh. Anyway, thanks for the help!
jenorama
Space Cadet

I am having the same problem as well

Post by jenorama »

I am running on SnowLeopard and I have gone through the system setup guide. My Basilisk II folder in my home directory is called "Basilisk_II" and in there I have a folder called Shared which contains my 7.5.3 floppy disk files. In the Basilisk UI I have the path to the Shared folder (/Users/'username'/Basilisk_II/Shared) in the "Unix Root" field. The emulator starts up into the System 7 Network Access boot image, but the Unix folder does not appear. I have verified that the path shows up in the extfs line in the .basilisk_ii_prefs file. I get my MaxOS753 and the Installer Parts drives and Trash and that's it. I am running in windowed mode at 1024 x 768 on a 27" iMac, so I'm pretty sure I'm seeing all there is to see in the emulator window.

I have even put the Shared folder in the root of my home directory with pointers to that and deleted and re-created the folder in the Basilisk_II folder. As far as I can tell, it doesn't need any special properties to be turned on, such as file sharing, correct? I've tried making is a shared folder in the Get Info and it still refuses to show up. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Jen
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I guess your initial effort was OK, except for one small mistake: in the path to the shared folder, you need to replace 'username' with your user name in Mac OSX (the name of your home folder!). So, for example my path is: /users/hsp/BasiliskII/Shared/ . In this path "hsp" is my username and name of my home folder.

Good luck,
Cat_7
jenorama
Space Cadet

Post by jenorama »

Yes, I have the correct username. So, path is /Users/jen/Basilisk_II/Shared, yet it still refuses to show up. :(

Jen
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Very strange. This is the first time I hear of the Unix volume not appearing while a shared folder is in place and the path to that folder is saved correctly in the prefs file. I suppose you checked and double-checked the path in GUI/prefs as well as the actual folder names? No "Basilisk-II" instead of "Basilisk_II"? No "Shared " instead of "Shared"?
jenorama
Space Cadet

Post by jenorama »

I have checked the things you mention, Ronald. In fact, when I started this, I just called the Basilisk II folder simply BasiliskII. I've typed and re-typed the path, put the Shared folder just in my home directory to eliminate any confusion with regards to the spelling of and ambiguous characters in Basilisk II. Question: Does the folder that contain the Basilisk II stuff need to be called "BasiliskII"? Could I put it in a folder called "Bobby" or "Emulator" or whatever? I've been thinking of trying that, but I wanted ton confirm that there aren't any dependencies as the setup guide said the folder had to be called "BasiliskII".

Thanks!

Jen
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

These folders can be called anything you like and placed anywhere you like. The guide uses fixed names and places to make following and supporting it easier.

Please copy the content of your .basilisk_ii_prefs file here when replying.
To get to it: open a terminal and type "open .basilisk_ii_prefs", copy the content and paste it here.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember a similar situation arising (unix folder not showing) when I was writing that guide. I would like you to try two things in this order:
-Change the machine model in the GUI to 68030 and try again.
-Download the quadra 650 rom from the redundant robot site and try that.

Best,
Cat_7
JohnC
Space Cadet

Re: Really stupid question...

Post by JohnC »

Similar question I think.

I have downloaded the 2009 build and the 2011 GUI onto a MacBook Air with Mountain Lion.

Now I have gotten to this point in the instructions:

"… this manual assumes that a shared folder in the BasiliskII folder called “Shared” is available. Prepare for installation of MacOS by creating the Shared folder in your BasiliskII folder. Then download the 19 installer parts for System 7.5.3 from Apple and place them in the folder."

The shared folder is not available, though I did define one in the GUI. My preferences file is listed at http://johnsvirtualtavern.net/basiliskprefs.txt

And the designated folder seems to exist:
$ pwd
/Volumes/jfc/BasiliskIIUB20091004/Shared

I opened up the permissions to 777 on both /Volumes/jfc/BasiliskIIUB20091004/Shared/ and /Volumes/jfc/BasiliskIIUB20091004/ after trying several times with the default permissions.

At first, the parent folder name has spaces in it, but I thought renaming it to something solid would rule out any GUI vs. command line inconsistencies there.

I have searched for other posts involving this issue, but the ones that are solved have the Shared folder showing up in 7.5.3 or above. The only route I can see to downloading the fixings for 7.5.3 seems to be via the Shared folder.

Are there logs that can help troubleshoot this? I'll take any answer, but I'd prefer one that involves vim.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi, your prefs say you boot from the system 7 floppy disk image. This disk will not allow you to see the shared folder. You would need to boot from the system 8 disk image for that.

See our guide here: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/bas ... iliskiigui

The order in which the disks are in in the prefs file determines from which image Basilisk will try to start first. Please use the GUI to remove the first disk entry from the volumes list. To be able to start from the system 8 disk, you would also need to change the mac model in the GUI (see step 6 of the guide) to support Mac OS 8. Please don't forget to change the setting back after you installed System 7.5.3 and before first boot of 7.5.3

Best,
Cat_7
JohnC
Space Cadet

Post by JohnC »

Hmm ... Wonder where I grabbed System70_boot.dsk from. It rang a bell with you right away, so I reckon you've seen it before.

Booting with the System 8 floppy exposed the Unix volume, as you said.

On to the next sentence ...

"Then download the 19 installer parts for System 7.5.3 from Apple and place them in the folder. Take a look at the file names. If the first is named with a ”.smi” extension and the others with a ”.part” extension ..."

And they are not. They are smi.bin and part.bin. Thought I'd be able to crack that with Stuffit Expander. But bringing that across the newly created bridge and clicking the installer for it hung Basilisk, and for several minutes I thought it had crashed OS X as well. Brought over Binhex, which was offered as a .img. Could not deal with a .img in either Basilisk or OS X.

In Basilisk/System 8:

The application that created it could not be found.

In OS X:

The following disk images couldn't be opened
binhex_5.0.img no mountable file systems

When you click on the "19 installer parts for System 7.5.3 " link in those instructions, are you also seeing the .bin extensions?

Saw that there was a binhex command for Darwin, but could not really decipher the man page. This seemed like a safe use:

binhex -v probe ../System_7.5.3_01of19.smi.bin

but it gave me:
"System_7.5.3_01of19.smi.bin" is not recognized.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi, the guide says:
However, this manual assumes that a shared folder in the BasiliskII folder called “Shared” is available. Prepare for installation of MacOS by creating the Shared folder in your BasiliskII folder. Then download the 19 installer parts for System 7.5.3 from Apple and place them in the folder.
Take a look at the file names. If the first is named with a ”.smi” extension and the others with a ”.part” extension, you can skip the next step of double-clicking all files individually. Double-clicking the files will unpack them, leaving you with the double amount of files in the folder. When finished, remove the files not named with the ”.smi” or ”.part” extensions.
Some browsers automatically unpack the files when you download them, others don't. Did you try to unpack the files by double-clicking all files in the shared folder in Mac OS X before starting Basilisk?
I just checked: when I download with Safari, the files are automatically unpacked. When I downloaded with Firefox, double-clicking the files starts my default unpacker "The Unarchiver" to unpack the files.

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Cat_7 wrote:when I download with Safari, the files are automatically unpacked.
On a side note: Safari does this by default. If you value security, better disable this feature (Open "safe" files after downloading) in Safari preferences.
JohnC
Space Cadet

Post by JohnC »

I did try double-clicking the individual files first. "The application that created it could not be found," I think.

But I had downloaded them using Chrome. Downloading them in Safari did the trick. I was able to install and boot 7.5.3. It has the shared volume. And I was able to download and run an application.