BasiliskII for Linux

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

BasiliskII for Linux

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

New builds of SheepShaver and BasiliskII for Linux are now available as appimage packages from https://github.com/Korkman/macemu-appim ... r/releases

Use them with our new guide (in progress) here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... skii_linux

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
24bit
Forum All-Star

SUCCESS!

Post by 24bit »

Cat, the SDL version did it for me, thats really great!
Many many thanks!
So fullscreen should be possible with SS too, at last.
Greetings!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Yes, full screen works! Do check the SheepShaver forum for Cat_7's SS builds!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I got the impression that these BasiliskII builds seem to be more stable than the SheepShaver builds.
I will rebuild the SheepShaver_X and SDL builds on OpenSuse and see what that brings.

Best,
Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

The Windowed build doesn't work for me. It just doesn't launch. The full-screen build seems to work fine.

Any thoughts?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Here's my error message from the terminal:

"./BasiliskII_X_Linux_13_09_2010: error while loading shared libraries: libXxf86dga.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

That might be due to the fact that I encountered problems when building with the naming of some header files. The links to the files were renamed by Christian Bauer some time ago from e.g. x86.... to xX86....(or the other way around) This doesn't work in OpenSuse, but does in (some) other distros. Perhaps compiling without support for the dga extensions helps, but I don't know.

I'll see what I can do, juggling/struggling to keep three host OS'ses in the air is taking it's toll.....;-)

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Please try this build: http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/She ... _noDGA.zip

Best,
Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

That build works. But as you may know, it is a SheepShaver build, not a Basilisk II build...
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

:oops:

http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/Bas ... _noDGA.zip

Better?

Cat_7

Edited by Ronald: Changed backslashes to slashes. :wink:
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

That one produces the following error:

"error while loading shared libraries: libesd.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Well, well, we are doing great. In a attempt to get sound running in SheepShaver for Linux, which doesn't allow selecting the built-in sound device when you use an old world rom (have you noticed that?), I installed the ESD development libraries. I then compiled and it seems that using ESD is the standard setting in the configuration phase. I will try to build a version without ESD support.

But first I need to wait for a torrent to download. I'm going to install Mac OS 10.2 or 10.3 on my old G3 266Mhz.

New try here: http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/Bas ... No_ESD.zip

The JIT compiler was not activated in the earlier builds. It is in this one. Take care to set enough Memory on the Jit compiler tab, otherwise the compiler will be disabled or crash.

Best,
Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

And that one works!!
24bit
Forum All-Star

4MB ROM

Post by 24bit »

You are doing great, for sure!
This may be the wrong thread, but SS for Linux does play sound for me with your latest builds.
I am always using the Old-World ROM for my hosts, if only for downward compatibility.
Maybe I am getting something wrong.
uhhu
Inquisitive Elf

Post by uhhu »

Cat_7, is your (latest) Basilisk II source available somewhere?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The source is freely available to everyone. It's not my source, I only build versions from it:

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.cebix.net:/home/cvs/cebix login
#password is "anoncvs"
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.cebix.net:/home/cvs/cebix checkout BasiliskII

if you also want SheepShaver, add this:
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.cebix.net:/home/cvs/cebix checkout SheepShaver

to build use:
cd BasiliskII/src/Unix
NO_CONFIGURE=1 ./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-jit-compiler=yes (check configuration options with ./configure --help, also see below for SDL options)
make
strip BasiliskII

If you want to use SDL, install the development packages first and use
--enable-sdl-video=yes and --enable-sdl-sound=yes with ./configure

Best,
Cat_7
uhhu
Inquisitive Elf

Post by uhhu »

Thank you for the info, Cat_7.

Now how to get it to compile with all these autoconf errors...

Code: Select all

checking xxxxxxxxxx.h usability... no
checking xxxxxxxxxx.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: xxxxxxxxxx.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: xxxxxxxxxx.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: xxxxxxxxxx.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: xxxxxxxxxx.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: xxxxxxxxxx.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------------- ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to Christian.Bauer ( ) uni-mainz.de ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------------- ##
checking for xxxxxxxxxx.h... no
All usability checks reported "no" although most of the presence checks reported "yes".

I tried with Fedora 14 and Scientific Linux 6 beta 1, and both were installed as "software development workstations". I had no problems compiling from a 5 (?) year old source files with F14 or SL6b1. (I do not remember where I got the old source files.)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I have never compiled with any of the linux distro you mention, but I would suggest you are missing some development packages, and perhaps you are using the wrong version of the automake/autoconf tools (ver. 1.9?)

From memory, you need at least the development packages of:
X11-devel-headers
SDL 1.2.14-devel
Gnome-devel

and of course
GCC
G++

Best,
Cat_7
uhhu
Inquisitive Elf

Post by uhhu »

Cat_7 wrote:I have never compiled with any of the linux distro you mention, but I would suggest you are missing some development packages, and perhaps you are using the wrong version of the automake/autoconf tools (ver. 1.9?)
Fedora 14:
- automake (GNU Automake) 1.11.1
- autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.66

As I mentioned, Fedora 14 is installed as software development workstation so I think all the necessary and latest tools and libraries should be present. The <*.h> files are present but for some reason, they are not available (usability check returns no). However, they are available for the old Basilisk II source/config that I have.

I googled "Present But Cannot Be Compiled" for the right way to solve the problem but I do not fully understand what I have to do.

I'll download openSUSE (11.3)...
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I think I know why your headers can't be compiled. Somehow, your build proces uses the wrong compiler. Please check that you have gcc and g++ as default compilers installed. Or use Suse, as you are planning.

See here, at example 4.1: http://www.flameeyes.eu/autotools-mythb ... nding.html

EDIT: I have just installed fedora 14 invmware and compiled basiliskII succesfully. It runs great. That strenghtens my conviction that something is wrong in your development chain of tools. I can't guide you through what you need to install, it is to complicated to remember and thus explain.

Best,
Cat_7
madcrow
Inquisitive Elf

Post by madcrow »

I'm trying to do a 32-bit build for my old laptop running Fedora 14. Sadly, it seems that while the build appears to go well, things crash with an invalid pointer error as soon as I attempt to start emulation after finishing in the config screen.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Did you not have an error during the configure phase saying that a program that needed to establish whether low memory could be mapped was stopped by selinux?

I had that, and added a rule to selinux (which was suggested in the notification I got) to allow the program to work.
After that, I configured basiliskII again, and built it with only the --enable-jit-compiler=yes option.
It now runs OK.

EDIT: this was the line to set a new rule in selinux: setsebool -P mmap_low_allowed 1

Best,
Cat_7
madcrow
Inquisitive Elf

Post by madcrow »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

Did you not have an error during the configure phase saying that a program that needed to establish whether low memory could be mapped was stopped by selinux?

I had that, and added a rule to selinux (which was suggested in the notification I got) to allow the program to work.
After that, I configured basiliskII again, and built it with only the --enable-jit-compiler=yes option.
It now runs OK.

EDIT: this was the line to set a new rule in selinux: setsebool -P mmap_low_allowed 1

Best,
Cat_7
I'd already set that for Wine purposes...
uhhu
Inquisitive Elf

Post by uhhu »

Cat_7 wrote:EDIT: I have just installed fedora 14 invmware and compiled basiliskII succesfully. It runs great. That strenghtens my conviction that something is wrong in your development chain of tools. I can't guide you through what you need to install, it is to complicated to remember and thus explain.
Did you install Fedora as "Desktop" or "Software Development"?
If you installed as "Software Development", did you install additional tools or libraries?
Did you use a fresh BasiliskII folder? (I.e., one without a configure file so you have to run autogen.sh)

I came up with some kind of workaround: I did not run autogen.sh. Instead, I copied the configure and config.h.in files from an earlier source version. It is possible that some new features or tweaks are missing. But at least now running ./configure a "good" Makefile is produced and I can successfully compile and run BasiliskII.

So my problem is that the autogen.sh script does not produce a good configure file for me.

EDIT:
One step closer to solving the "Present But Cannot Be Compiled" problem (from my ./configure output):

Code: Select all

checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... no
 --- snip ---
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no
But both the gcc and g++ are installed and do compile if the configure file is OK..The problem now is: how do I make autogen.sh (or configure) to find them?
Last edited by uhhu on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I did a default install from a live cd, and then installed the development packages manually. That why I don't remember what I installed exactly.

I then downloaded the clean source and built it.

Best,
cat_7