Installation from multiple disks?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

shiggity
Space Cadet

Installation from multiple disks?

Post by shiggity »

I'm having trouble installing a program in BII running 7.5.3 when it asks me to "insert disk 2." Mounting all three disks at the same time doesn't work. I don't own a detachable floppy drive.

Is there anything I can do? I'm guessing that a lot of programs created in that era span across multiple floppy disk images, so I'm hoping there's a solution.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Installation from multiple disks?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You can try this:

Have all floppies mounted in BII. In 7.5.3, drag the mounted floppy volumes one by one to your startup volume (or to another volume that you created for this purpose). The floppy volumes will be copied as folders with the same names as the mounted volumes. It is important to not change the folder names and to keep them together in the same location, best at root level of the volume they are now on. The floppies can be unmounted. Start the installation from the folder that is a copy of the first disk.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
uhhu
Inquisitive Elf

Post by uhhu »

Or try this:

Make a disk image of each floppy with Disk Copy.
Unmount the floppies.
Mount the disk images by double-clicking.
Start installation from the first disk.
Nicolaz
Space Cadet

Post by Nicolaz »

My first attempt was to make disk images in disc copy. All was fine. I mounted the disc images in sheepsaver. They are on my desktop now. I opened the first installer of two. It was installing the software. The progress bar went about 50% then stopped to instruct me to insert disc 2. I could not get out of this dialog box. Had to force quit.
Thank you for your help
shiggity
Space Cadet

Post by shiggity »

These methods never worked for me on either BII or SS because the installer would capture all the input, similar to the thread at http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5281. It sounds like that person tried to use Windows because you're able to explicitly mount a physical floppy drive on demand on the Windows port? And it sounds like he was unsuccessful. I don't know if there's a way around this but the Windows method might work -- it would require an external floppy drive and copying the images onto physical disks and for Windows-SS to recognize them on command though.
Macinspanish
Space Cadet

Post by Macinspanish »

I'm trying to install Adobe Photoshop (from Macintosh Garden). To complete the instalation, the installer needs more than one disk. Basilisk II don't accept mounting drag&drop disk images.

How do I to mount a floppy disk image directly to continue the instalation?

I'm using Windows 7.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You can try to mount all floppy images as disks by adding them to the volumes list.
Please check that the images are write-only in Windows.

Best,
Cat_7
shivladsky
Space Cadet

Post by shivladsky »

Hello all,

I know its 2022 and all, way out into the future, but I found this post and especially Ronald's answer the most helpful.

In case if anyone else is googling this, here's what you can try to install from multiple floppies (I tried with 30 in my case) into 7.5.3 from Windows:
  1. Make sure you have DiskCopy and Aladdin Expander
  2. Get all the files into your Mac via Enable "My Computer" icon on your Mac desktop... option in Basilisk II Settings
  3. Extract/do whatever needed to get your .image files
  4. Mount each one with DiskCopy and drag over into your system drive (aka Macintosh HD, aka the one with your System Folder in it) - as Ronald suggested
  5. Unmount each disk before mounting and copying the next one
  6. There's a gotcha here: 7.5.3 Eject Disk option doesn't work (at least on my computer), so just drag each disk over the trash bin to unmount
  7. Repeat for all disks
  8. Launch setup from the first folder (Install Disk 1 most likely)
  9. The installer will run and won't ask you to swap
  10. Done
I tried booting with the floppies mounted, but 1. It would take forever to mount 30 floppies that way, and 2. System asked me if I wanted to format them or something so I quickly abandoned that option.
Last edited by shivladsky on Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

For those interested, here is again a more elaborate decription of my procedure for installers on multiple floppy disk images.

1. Make sure to have sufficient room on the system disk (or other volume that you created for this purpose) to hold the content of all floppies.,
2. Have all floppy images mounted in BasiliskII by adding them to the volumes list in the GUI.
3. In BasiliskII, drag the mounted floppy volumes one by one to your startup volume (or to other volume that you created for this purpose). The floppy volumes will be copied as folders with the same names as the mounted volumes. It is important to not change the folder names and to keep them together in the same location, best at root level of the volume they are now on.
4. Shut down BasiliskII.
5. Unmount the floppy images by removing them from the volumes list in the GUI.
6. Start BasiliskII and start the installation from the folder that is a copy of the first disk.
SparkyRaccoon
Space Cadet

Post by SparkyRaccoon »

Hey Ronald,

Thanks for the detailed instructions. However, I'm still getting the "Please insert the disk - Disk2" popup, which forces me to shut down Basilisk.
I attempted to mount via Basilisk and DiskCopy : in both cases floppy images are mounted. I drag them in the startup volume which I assume is named MacOS753, folders are created successfully. When mounted via Basilisk I unmount with the GUI. With DiskCopy I simply drag the volumes in the trash bin. In both cases I get stuck (literally) with the popup, when starting the installation from the folder that is a copy of the first disk.

Any further ideas ?
Thanks a lot,
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

There are some installers that assume a single floppy drive and will only use that; for these ones, you need to wait to mount the disk image until after the prompt comes up. For the rest, the main installer goes in a folder (essentially, disk 1's contents), and disk 2++ go as folders inside the disk1 folder.
SparkyRaccoon
Space Cadet

Post by SparkyRaccoon »

Well, I have tried to move disks 2+ as folders inside the first one as suggested, but it doesn't make a change.