System 7.5.3 01of19.smi file not recognized

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ersmiller
Space Cadet

Re: System 7.5.3 01of19.smi file not recognized

Post by ersmiller »

Thank you for uploading System 7.5.3.sit. However I cannot install StuffitExpander for 2 reasons. Since I am using the bootdisk from the instructions (http://emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup), I am running a MacOS too old for Stuffit to be installed on (It wants 7.1.1 or newer). Also, there is no room on the bootdisk to install it anyway.
ersmiller
Space Cadet

Post by ersmiller »

I have it working now.
I used Mini vMac (with the same system 7 boot disk) to extract the 19 disk images to get the installer. then switched back to BasiliskII to install it. I got an error the first time booting after installing 7.5.3 that required me to restart with extensions turned off. Once I disabled the extension "A/ROSE" (I think that was the name) I was able to boot correctly.

And now I can relive my memories of system 7, After Dark, and those really old/classic games from my school days. And this time I can even do it in color (I owned a MAC SE back then)!

Thank you everyone for helping out. I wish I knew what the actual issue was, but at least now there's a workaround.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've uploaded the extracted install files here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/4fe9um
For convenience, it also includes the 7.5.5 update, and documentation.
Paperweight64
Space Cadet

Post by Paperweight64 »

The easy solution to the checksum problem is to disable the JIT compiler from BasiliskIIGUI.exe
Classic_Mac
Space Cadet

Post by Classic_Mac »

Thank you Space Cadet for the tip about disabling the JIT compiler from BasiliskIIGUI.exe. I was having the exact same checksum problem. I used the WinMD5 validator mentioned in an earlier post to make sure Firefox wasn't corrupting the download from Apple, but everything looked normal. I had also tried every permutation within HFVExplorer to make the .dsk file, with no luck. Thanks again for posting your solution.
MacCraft
Space Cadet

Post by MacCraft »

Paperweight64 wrote:The easy solution to the checksum problem is to disable the JIT compiler from BasiliskIIGUI.exe
Thank you, it worked like a charm! :)
:)
Paperweight64
Space Cadet

Post by Paperweight64 »

No problem :mrgreen:
thewildeeper
Space Cadet

Post by thewildeeper »

The easy solution to the checksum problem is to disable the JIT compiler from BasiliskIIGUI.exe
Just to clarify, as it took me waaay too long to figure out how to do this-

Start BasiliskIIGUI (click on the happy mac icon)
Click on the JIT Compiler Tab
Uncheck the top box (Enable JIT Compiler)
Restart BasiliskIIGUI, and now you should be able to install System 7.5.3 :razz: