Basilisk II - Command-H (Hide Basillisk) menu item

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

anagram
Student Driver

Basilisk II - Command-H (Hide Basillisk) menu item

Post by anagram »

The Command-H menu item (Hide Basilisk) functions if you access it in the OS X menu, but it does not function when pressing Command H on the keyboard. It seems like it should work, since it is listed in the menu as a key equivalent.

Thanks,
Anne
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The command key is intercepted by BasiliskII and used inside the emulator, for instance for command-Q. The key equivalents should probably not be listed in the BasiliskII menus.
anagram
Student Driver

Post by anagram »

Intercepting the Command key makes sense for Command Q - Quit.

I can see why it works the way it does, but my friend uses Command-H all the time to jump around between open apps.

Is it possible to pass other Command key combo's along to the parent OS?
The only application I know of that may suffer in the OS 7 realm is Hypercard. (Go Home) is Command-H.
Perhaps it could be a setting in preferences.

Anyone else have opinions about this? Are there other ramifications I have not thought of?

Would it be to difficult modify the code, in case I am asked to make a custom build for my friend?

Thanks,
Anne
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I do not know how this is determined in the source code (I am no programmer), but I suppose the command key is simply intercepted for all command-key combo's. Command-H is used in several programs (SimpleText, BBEdit Lite: Find selection; Acrobat Reader: Actual size; iCab: Home Page)

One can also easily hide the front application by option(alt)-clicking on anything else outside that application that you want to use next.
anagram
Student Driver

Post by anagram »

Thanks Ronald!
this info was very helpful!

"you can hide the front application by option(alt)-clicking on anything else outside that application that you want to use next."

Anne