Intel BasiliskII GUI for MacOSX 10.6 and 10.7

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

vasi
Tinkerer

Intel BasiliskII GUI for MacOSX 10.6 and 10.7

Post by vasi »

I built the BasiliskII GUI for Intel Macs, including Lion, since the old PowerPC version no longer works without Rosetta. https://github.com/downloads/vasi/b2gui ... I-10.6.zip.

Caveats:
  • * This is just the preferences GUI, you'll still need to grab BasiliskII itself from the sticky thread.
    * This GUI is only built for 10.6 and higher. If you're on older versions of OS X, the old PPC GUI should still work fine anyhow.
    * It still doesn't look very Mac-like, though it's at least prettier than the old one. In particular, it still has the ugly GTK file choosers.
    * It's rather large, at about 5 MB. Yes, that's bigger than BasiliskII itself.
I'm going to look into creating a Cocoa GUI based on the SheepShaver one, but it's not a priority so don't sit around waiting.

EDIT: Updated download URL: "Start" button works now.
EDIT: Updated version for Lion. Now only works on 10.6+.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason:  
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

Wouldn't it be easier to just use the preferences file?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Intel BasiliskII GUI

Post by emendelson »

vasi wrote:I built the BasiliskII GUI for Intel Macs, since the old PowerPC version will no longer work on future versions of Mac OS X. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1355986/BasiliskII-GUI.app.zip
Thank you for this. A lot of us are going to be very glad to have it. AND it looks a lot better than the old PPC version.

If it's OK with you, I'd like to include it in a download that I put together a few years ago, which installs Basilisk II with a disk image that includes System 7.5.5, WordPerfect for the Mac, and a few other things. The current version installs the old GUI, and I'd like to modify the AppleScript that does the installation so that it installs your version of the GUI on Intel systems:

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac ... rnate.html
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Great! Seems to be working perfectly (but I haven't done much testing)

Best,
Cat_7
vasi
Tinkerer

Post by vasi »

emendelson wrote: If it's OK with you, I'd like to include it in a download...
Please do! It's all open source anyhow :)
Silent Flamer wrote: Wouldn't it be easier to just use the preferences file?
For some people, yes; for others, no. Personally I often edit the pref file in a text editor myself, but sometimes I'd rather not worry about typos. Or keying in long paths. Or remembering what each option means: what's modelid 5 off the top of my head?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

vasi wrote:
emendelson wrote: If it's OK with you, I'd like to include it in a download...
Please do! It's all open source anyhow :)
Done! I've posted the new version. Thanks.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Thanks, now we have a GUI that can run on Intel without Rosetta (and thus can be used in OSX 10.7, Lion).

I did not have the time yet to test it extensively, but it seems to work fine for changing settings. Nice that one can save changes without starting BasiliskII. The Start button does not work, though. It seems that this GUI.app expects BasiliskII to be inside the GUI.app package instead of together with the GUI.app in the same folder. It would work if in the path "BasiliskII-GUI.app" is replaced by "BasiliskII.app".
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Thanks a lot, vasi!
Finally it is possible to MOVE the volumes in the GUI, just like it is done on Windows or GNU/Linux hosts.
If it is no asking too much, would you fix the start button eventually?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Hello vasi,

Since we're making requests about your terrific GUI app, here's one more:

Could you let us specify the exact location and filename of the Basilisk II.app, in case (for any reason) we've changed the name of the app? For example, I would like to be able to change the name of the application that I use for running WordPerfect for the Mac to something like "WordPerfect Mac Appliance.app" - and it would be terrific to be able to specify the name and location in the GUI - maybe by navigating to the location and selecting it in a list of files.

Apologies for asking so much when you've already given us so much!
vasi
Tinkerer

Post by vasi »

I'll fix the start button, expect an update later today or tomorrow. I won't be adding an option to specify the name of BasiliskII.app however, this GUI is just a hack to tide folks over. When I get around to writing a Cocoa GUI, remind me of that feature idea!
vasi
Tinkerer

Post by vasi »

Ok, new version posted, the "Start" button should work now.

Also, the process I used to build it, plus the changes to the source, are available on Github: https://github.com/vasi/b2gui. So if there are any modifications you wish to make, go ahead and fork! :)
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Thank you so much for kindly fixing the "Start" button.
I do not have to keep the BII app in the dock no more!

Do you think, you could adapt your work and donate a SheepShaver GUI as well?
The built in SS GUI does not work for me at all and the GUI Alexei Svitkine made,
though looking cool, has no "Start" button.
vasi
Tinkerer

Post by vasi »

I actually use SheepShaverLauncher, it's rather nice. Is it not working for you?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Yes its nice, but doesn´t work for me. Maybe because of my Mac pro Hackintosh...
It is a snow leo with MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com boot ROM.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Strange, I cannot imagine why the built-in prefs editor or the Launcher would not work on a Hackintosh. Exactly what does not work on your machine with the built-in prefs and what does not work with the Launcher?

BTW: We drifted off-topic. Further questions, requests, or discussion about SheepShaver prefs editors and/or Launcher please in SheepShaver forum.
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

Try my GUI.

http://julialy.x10.mx/macsarenotfornoob ... rPrefs.dmg

EDIT: this prefs editor does not (yet?) read and write from/to the prefs file!

EDIT 2: main topic(also with source): http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7148
The file buttons also do not work.
Last edited by uyjulian on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
LazarusNine
Space Cadet

Post by LazarusNine »

I have been trouble getting fullscreen to work properly using this GUI. The old Rosetta GUI worked fine (I'm running the latest version of Basilisk for Mac OS X). The buttons are a bit askew in the 'graphics' settings area of this new GUI. When I set Basilisk to fullscreen, save and start, it resets to windowed mode. Any explanation for this? Any advice? Thanks so much for creating an Intel native version of this GUI. It was a concern of mine a few months ago on these forums and I'm grateful someone managed to pull it off.

If the problem persists, can someone explain how to change the Basilisk prefs file manually to have Basilisk load in fullscreen? Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

julialy's sketch for a Prefs application is just a GUI front with no functionality, it does not read the prefs file, nor writes to it.

For now, the old GUI application can be used on Intel with Rosetta. Hopefully someone will provide a real Prefs application that will run on Intel. The prefs file can also be viewed and edited in a text editor like TextEdit. You can open the file in TextEdit by typing in Terminal:

Code: Select all

open .basilisk_ii_prefs
followed by a return

The line that starts with "screen" sets window mode "win" or full-screen mode "dga", and the screen size. Resolution "0" is what is called "Maximum" in the GUI
screen win/1024/768 is window mode size 1024x768
screen dga/0/0 is full-screen using the actual screen resolution
LazarusNine
Space Cadet

Post by LazarusNine »

Thank you for these instructions, Ronald. It helped out a lot. Now I'm running in full screen. I wasn't using Julialy's prefs GUI, but the one posted by vasi at the start of this thread. It seems it does everything quite well and is a great alternative to the PPC GUI that will be made obsolete with Lion. The only problem is, when you select fullscreen, it only seems to edit the prefs file to say dga/ instead of dga/0/0 or some other resolution. Therefore, the program was simply starting by default into windowed mode. Until vasi fixes this, I suppose I'll stick with editing the prefs file directly as you suggest. Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

LazarusNine wrote:I wasn't using Julialy's prefs GUI, but the one posted by vasi at the start of this thread
Oops! :oops:
I reacted too quickly and didn't look back in the thread. I also forgot about vasi's GUI even though I have it installed. (I myself usually edit the prefs file in a text editor.)

The full-screen setting does indeed not work properly in this GUI. Strange things also happen in the GUI window when I try to set full-screen, the Window Refresh Rate menu and the Width and Height fields disappear.

Edit: I wonder what these Frame Buffer settings are about. They are not in the original BasiliskIIGUI.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The GUI by vasi also doesn't work in the Lion preview. (among others) it give the following error:
Symbol not found: _iconv

Best,
Cat_7
vasi
Tinkerer

Post by vasi »

I haven't yet upgraded to Lion, I'll look into it soon.
thecontractor
Space Cadet

Post by thecontractor »

Can't seem to get it open in Lion. Could be my error, but I've tried everything I know. Just a heads up :D
ewood
Space Cadet

Lion

Post by ewood »

I can't get it to open in Lion either, and I wouldn't know how to set up the prefs by hand. Is there no working config app for Lion yet? I'd do it myself if I were a programmer..
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

No, the editor doesn't work in Lion. We just have to wait.

Cat_7