Help

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

hayhay7789
Student Driver

Help

Post by hayhay7789 »

I am setting up Mac OS 7.5.3 on Basilisk II. I have downloaded the .smi and .part files from Apple. The only issue is, in the guide I am following, I am supposed to open them. They are in disk image format. When I open them, my current OS (Mac OS X 10.6.8) says that the disk mounter "cannot mount the disks because the disks are not recognized."

What should I download to open these files?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Help

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You are not supposed to open the 19 files in MacOSX.

Do you follow this guide? http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/bas ... _osx_setup
hayhay7789
Student Driver

Post by hayhay7789 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:You are not supposed to open the 19 files in MacOSX.

Do you follow this guide? http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/bas ... _osx_setup
Yeah, I use that guide. Thanks for informing me of this. I must have read the instructions improperly. Thank you again :mrgreen:
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The confusion might be around this part in the guide
Then download the 19 installer parts for System 7.5.3 from Apple and place them in the folder.
Take a look at the file names. If the first is named with a ”.smi” extension and the others with a ”.part” extension, you can skip the next step of double-clicking all files individually. Double-clicking the files will unpack them, leaving you with the double amount of files in the folder. When finished, remove the files not named with the ”.smi” or ”.part” extensions.
It means that when the files you downloaded already have the one .smi and 18 .part extensions, you do not need to open them in OSX. They can be used in basilisk directly lateron in the installation.

Best,
Cat_7
hayhay7789
Student Driver

Post by hayhay7789 »

Okay. Thanks guys for your help. I'm really looking forward to System 7 on my MacBook. Just like my old Performa :mrgreen: