CD Drive

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

kyle10000
Space Cadet

CD Drive

Post by kyle10000 »

I can't get my CD ROM drive to recognize any CDs through Basilisk II. Anyone that can help I would much appreciate it.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: CD Drive

Post by Cat_7 »

Can you help us out an tell us on which host system you run BasiliskII?

On OSX: wait till the cd appears on the OSX desktop before starting BasiliskII
On Windows (not 64 bit): put the driver cdenable.sys in the correct location. See our guide on setting up SheepShaver, it covers the CD driver and use (which is the same for BasiliskII and SheepShaver):
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup

Best,
Cat_7
Margflower
Space Cadet

Post by Margflower »

I am having the same problem. I am a Mac OS X user and the CD isn't showing up in Basilisk. The program is compatible and keeps asking me to insert the disk.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

As of OS X mountain lion, Apple changed the way CD's are mounted. They now required admin rights to mount in Basilisk and SheepShaver. So we offer a work-around which is described in the SheepShaver setup guide. I paste text below:

Mountain Lion issue: Mountain Lion prevents mounting of physical CD-ROMs in SheepShaver but images created from CD-ROMs still work fine. You can create an image from a CD with Disk Utility. Make sure you choose either “read/write” (.dmg) or “DVD/CD Master” (.cdr) for the format. Compressed and read-only formats will not work.

If you are comfortable with the command line, you can also start Basilisk as root user (after making sure all paths to files needed by basilisk are full paths). If you are not, please forget this option ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
Margflower
Space Cadet

Post by Margflower »

Thank you! I thought I was doing something wrong.

So I tried creating a disk image and as it was finishing it said unable to create image.dmg (Input/output error). I guess I can't catch a break. If it helps anyone, the CD I am trying to create an image from is the game "Carmen Sandiego's Great Chase Through Time".
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

Margflower wrote:I am having the same problem. I am a Mac OS X user and the CD isn't showing up in Basilisk. The program is compatible and keeps asking me to insert the disk.
What version of Mac OS X are you using?
fabulousrice
Space Cadet

Post by fabulousrice »

kyle10000 wrote:I can't get my CD ROM drive to recognize any CDs through Basilisk II. Anyone that can help I would much appreciate it.
I am having the same problem... When I copy the elements of the CD to a Shared folder (or a DMG file of the CD) Basilisk can see them and launch the installer, but still asks me to insert the CD which is not recognised.
Even when I inserted it before starting Basilisk.

:(
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Next time, please be more specific when you post a question. Which host system (Windows or OSX and which version), which BasiliskII version or build, what kind of CD, and what kind of installer?

Physical CDs cannot be used in some host OS versions. You will then need to use disk images made of the CD.

If you are talking about a system installer that complains that it is not on the original media, you need to lock the image file in Finder Info (OSX) or mark the file read-only in file properties (Windows).

If you are talking about specific software (usually some games) that needs the original CD to be present, you may need the workaround with the Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility (see Known issues section in SheepShaver for OSX setup manual).
fabulousrice
Space Cadet

Post by fabulousrice »

Sorry for not being more specific before :)

Mac os 10.8.4 running Mac OS 9 through SheepShaver Wrapper 5.94.2.

I tried making both .cdr and .dmg disk images and neither solution worked (even locked from OS X).

I tried the Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility but either the new volume won't show up on the desktop, or the shared folder disappears… :(

Maybe I have to reinstall SheepShaver? I'm having a real hard time installing it there might be preferences somewhere that won't be deleted, is that possible?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

If you're using the SheepShaver wrapper, you're running SheepShaver, not Basilisk II. I put together the SheepShaver wrapper a few years ago, and haven't looked at it since, so I don't remember how it sets preferences. But you might try clicking on the top-line menu in OS X, under SheepShaver, then Preferences, and add the CD image to the list of drives. That's just a guess; I'm writing this on a Windows machine and I don't have access to the SheepShaver Wrapper.

But you're definitely not running Basilisk II if you're using the SheepShaver Wrapper.
fabulousrice
Space Cadet

Post by fabulousrice »

Sorry about that, I'll repost my question somewhere else I guess, when I figure out how to uninstall different versions of SheepShaver.
It seems some preference files just won't disappear... these GUIs are so confusing :) oh well, maybe a few more hours hard work will be enough to uninstall/reinstall a clean version of SheepShaver. Or I'll just give up and buy an old mac laptop lol

EDIT: I am currently running the app without a problem, after creating three disk images for each of the three install CDs, and adding them to BasiliskII. Thank you for your help.