No "Unix" Drive on Desktop at start of BasiliskII

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ScottA
Space Cadet

No "Unix" Drive on Desktop at start of BasiliskII

Post by ScottA »

I did not get the "Unix" disk to show up on the BasiliskII desktop after going through the installation procedure. Everything else is there the "Disk Tools 1", "MacOS753" and the "InstallerParts" just not the "Unix" disk on the desktop. The Unix Root I used is "/Users/Applications/BasiliskII/Shared" minus the quote marks. I have my Shared folder in my BasiliskII folder and my BasiliskII folder in my Applications folder so I believe the address is right but it did not show up as a disk on Basilisk II desktop. Any help to resolve this problem so I can install the operating system would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
ScottA
Space Cadet

Re: No "Unix" Drive on Desktop at start of BasiliskII

Post by ScottA »

Never mind, I figured it out.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

I'm having the same problem but for a different reason.

I installed System 7.1 and 7.5.5, and each shares the same basilisk preferences file. My Unix shared folder is showing up on the 7.5.5 desktop but not in 7.1. Does this feature not work in anything lower than System 7.5.3?

I can work around the problem by transferring files onto a .dmg image and loading that as a secondary hard drive image for both systems to access.

However, for simplicity and ease of use it would be nice to have both systems accessing the same shared Unix folder.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,
Does this feature not work in anything lower than System 7.5.3?
Indeed, too bad, but the shared drive doesn't show up when using Mac OS 7.1

Best,
Cat_7
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

It seems the lack of access to the Unix drive is more of a problem than I first thought.

In OS 10.8 I can only mount and copy files to MacOS Extended formatted dmg images, such as the ones I use with MacOS 8.1 and SheepShaver. While the dmg will mount in System 7.1, I get the text message telling me I cannot access the files unless I use MacOS 8.1 or higher.

If I try mounting my MacOS 7.x dmg images in OS X, I get read-only access.

So, without access to the Unix drive, I seem to have no way of getting files transferred into my System 7.1 hard disk image. :???:

Is there something I can do to get read/write access to the System 7 formatted drive from within OS X? If all else fails I will look into what can be done using Windows, but I would rather resolve this from within OS X.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

One solution I know is to also mount the Mac OS 7.5.3 disk when running System 7.1 and copy files to that disk. After closing 7.1, you can fire up 7.5.3 and use the shared disk. ;-(

In Basilisk for Windows, the My Computer tool (comparable to the shared disk) also doesn't work with System 7. You have, however, access to HFV explorer, which can open disk images and copy stuff to the local file system. However, files copied to the windows file system become unusable on the Mac if you don't use a format that preserves all file data on the Windows disk.

Both solutions are indirect, defeating your desired setup.

I just remembered a third option: you can boot from the Mac OS 8 disk tools floppy disk image and have the System 7 disk mounted. That will give you access to the shared folder, but you would need to alter the emulated machine model in the Basilisk GUI before Mac OS 8 can boot. And change it back if you want to run System 7. All in all, all three options are cumbersome.

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

Thanks for those solutions.

I have determined that the best method will be to mount the 7.1 disk in 7.5.5 to copy the files across via the Unix folder.

It is a little awkward, as the shared preferences file means that both systems use the same hard drive name. I will to need re-name the 7.1 hard drive and edit the prefs file each time I do this.

However, it does get the job done and I won't be needing to copy things to 7.1 that frequently.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

You could use the Basilisk Disk Image Chooser application that I wrote in AppleScript to make the job easier:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... f=6&t=5455

Assign different names to the two disks. Then have both the 7.1 and 7.5 disks mounted at the same time, but use this application to switch between them so that one or the other is the boot disk.

Also, it should be easy to modify the AppleScript to create two applications, one that would boot the 7.1 disk, the other that would boot the 7.5 disk.