Old version of Basilisk II 142, graphical corruption

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Knight
Student Driver

Old version of Basilisk II 142, graphical corruption

Post by Knight »

Okay, so I have this old version of Basilisk II 142.

It's from 2001. More exactly, 22 July 2001.

It doesn't work correctly on Windows 8 anymore. I've got a new computer with Windows 8, that's why I mentioned Windows 8. a HP Pavilion p6-2375eo.

Amongst others, there is graphics corruption or whatever you call in Escape Velocity: Override.

If you drag the map around with the mouse, you see a few systems on the edge of the map. Plus some visual problems. I can do a screenshot of what I have experienced if you want. Write a post to me telling you want a screenshot then.

Then there is a IARS file, a file telling how to play the missions in the Escape Velocity Mugabi and Destiny plug-in. It becomes so garbled it is unreadable.

ResEdit becomes unusable too, as the fields change to read in a way that is unreadable.

Then there is Norton Disk Doctor, for some reason clicking the File menu will make Disk Doctor crash. The menu does not open and if I remember correctly, remains in a state where the menu has a black hightlight color.

One of my Escape Velocity plug-ins does not launch correctly, you see the splash screen as black. Usually the splash screen is in color.

Once the emulator crashed so badly I got told Basilisk II is shutting down. From mere use, no clicking outside the window.

I downloaded & set up the newest version of Basilisk II 142 downloaded from the wiki article on how to setup Basilisk II 142. That one works, it has no problems the older version has. I installed a full copy of System 7.5.3 in it.

I thought I could install a full version of System 7.5.3 in the older version too. Maybe that could fix the graphics problems?

I have changed the Installed disks section in the Disk tab in BasiliskIIGUI so that System70_boot.dsk is the highest up, and thus Basilisk boots from it. I did it because I can then toss the System Folder I have on a another disk called macos and still boot.

I just need to make a new disk I can then install this new System 7.5.3 on.

Then I need to copy the 19 install files to that disk and then install System 7.5.3.

It doesn't even be so important to me - I have a new version of Basilisk II 142 which works. From August 27 2008. It has everything I need- even a Escape Velocity Override plug-in that I actually intend to play.

But I would still like the older version to work - just so I can see that version fixed.

I can copy the files that are in the older copy by Stuffing them, and then copying them over to the My Computer icon, to the folder with the newer Basilisk . Then I can unStuff them on the newer Basilisk.

Do I do a Universal install? Because then the install program does not install system files for a Quadra 650; it installs for a Mac IIci. I'm planning on changing the model ID to a Quadra 650 once the old Basilisk works.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Old version of Basilisk II 142, graphical corruption

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Are you referring to the 2008 "142" build available in our forum? It should not differ from the 2001 build.
Have you tried to change the screen settings with the GUI for your old build? I had some interesting screen corruptions with some settings. Please look up what settings you use for the new installation not showing the problems and change the old one accordingly. Perhaps that already fixes your problem.

You can also start the old basilisk with the disk image from your new installation. That way you can see whether the graphics problem is Mac OS related.

I gathered from your post that you already did a new installation, but later on I must assume you are still in the process of making a new installation. I would suggest doing a universal installation.
What exact effects the changes to the mac model have in the 142 builds (besides allowing support for Mac OS 7.x or 8.x) is beyond my knowledge. I only know you can get some info on from which model the rom is obtained and whether the rom file you are using is clean and sometimes whether it supports appletalk.

You should be able reuse your disk images with all the information intact in a newer version of Basilisk, or at least add the old disk image volume to a clean installation. That way you won't have to stuff and unstuff through the my computer tool.

Best,
Cat_7
Knight
Student Driver

Post by Knight »

My post refers to the 2001 version I forgot where I have downloaded it.

The only part where I don't refer to it is this: [...]I have a new version of Basilisk II 142 which works. From August 27 2008. It has everything I need- even a Escape Velocity Override plug-in that I actually intend to play. That part refers to the 2008 version.

And also when I say this: [...]and then copying them over to the My Computer icon, to the folder with the newer Basilisk . Then I can unStuff them on the newer Basilisk. That part also refers to the 2008 version.

My new version has the following settings: Windows GDI as Screen type. Screen width 800, Screen height 600. Colors 256 color palette (8-bit). Refresh rate Monitor default The old version has the exact same settings.

I did not already do a new installation of System 7.5.3 in the old version of Basilisk, the 2001 one. I have only done this: changed the System_70.dsk to be highest up in: Installed disks section in the Disk tab in BasiliskIIGUI, and so Basilisk starts from it. I haven't even tossed the System Folder yet.

The only new installation I have done is the 2008 version I got from the wiki article Setting up Basilisk II 142. http://emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_142_setup

Do you mean that one when you say "I gathered from your post that you already did a new installation"?

Then you say that I am still in the process of making a new installation. That's where I am still - I haven't even created a new disk for a new System 7.5.3 in the old version of Basilisk II from 2001.

You wrote that I can start the old Basilisk with the disk image from my new installation. That would be easier than installing System 7.5.3. However, you did not write what do after that. You only say that I can see if the graphics problem is Mac OS related.

If the old Basilisk does not have any problems after I use the disk image from my new installation, then do I toss to the Trash the System Folder the old installation currently has? And do I after that install a full System 7.5.3 (on a new disk)?

More information: My old version has seven disks, including the one with the System folder. There is also disk with every file from the Desktop (I did it because the files apparently are from different Desktop Folders from different disks). The last one is the System 7 boot disk.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Shouldn't you be using the "Build 143" executable? The fix in that one is explicitly for Escape Velocity Nova and not for Override, but nonetheless it is surely worth a try.
Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

Also keep in mind that the older 142/143 builds don’t handle JIT well, and can be unstable, producing garbled text rendering under OS 8.

There are expectations of these builds—meant for older operating systems (Windows 95/98/Me/2000) and the Intel Pentium generations (some emulated instructions will only work properly with these older CPUs, too), while the newer builds (2008+) work better with the Core Duo and later.
Knight
Student Driver

Post by Knight »

I don't know about build 143. Never used it because it was for Nova (at the Ambrosia Software forums it is always shortened, I call it Nova).

Maybe I can try it because installing the full System 7.5.3 didn't work. Yeah, that was for jorpho. The rest is in general for everyone here.

I installed System 7.5.3 on a different disk 1 GB in size. I did a Universal Install for any Macintosh. I then changed the settings in BasiliskIIGUI to start from to the new install.

I got a error about A/ROSE... Googled emaculation a/rose. You were supposed to be able to fix the error by pressing Shift and then deleting A/ROSE. Couldn't do that as the error would come up anyway when I pressed Shift and clicked Restart. I tried to press Shift only some time after pressing Restart, didn't work.

I changed the settings in BasiliskIIGUI so Basilisk II would boot from macos, a disk that did not have a full install.

I tossed A/ROSE in the trash and changed the settings so Basilisk would boot from the full System 7.5.3 install again.

I could now start but er... I got a dialog about preserving comments on Angels of vengeance (that's a disk name). It remained on the screen a long time so I closed the emulator. Then I started it again. Now it would show the desktop fine.

Apparently, having a full install is not enough to make the old version be problem free. I tried the Control Panels folder in the Apple Menu, it was so long this time there was arrow pointing downwards (for scrolling). When I scrolled very fast so that my mouse went under the downwards pointing arrow, this happened: https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=7349E61A ... 66B274!320

This did not happen the second time I tried to scroll to the bottom, slower. Or the third time, when I scrolled faster and I would say at a normal speed.

Also: clicking on the File menu makes the emulator crash, after scrolling the Control Panels folder in the Apple Menu. The menu highlights in black, but does not open. Nothing happens and you have to close the emulator to make it work again. This happened all three times I tried to scroll the Control Panels folder.

This is what Escape Velocity: Overrides map looks like when I try to scroll the map with the mouse faster than very slow. When I move the map more than a little at a time: https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=7349E61A ... 66B274!322

I don't know what to do now. Maybe the old version doesn't just work on Windows 8. Maybe Windows 8 is too new? Or maybe my processor is too new? Adan P writes: [...]"while the newer builds (2008+) work better with the Core Duo and later." My processor is a Core i5. I don't know what he means with this though: "There are expectations of these builds"[...]. What do you mean, Adam P? Can you explain?

I'd like also him telling more what he means with that 142 can be unstable. That could explain all sorts of funny stuff that has happened under Windows 8.

What about about updating my graphics card driver? Would it make the old version work better? I have a Nvidia Geforce 640 GT. I have not updated yet the driver because the driver also wants to install Nvidia HD Audio, meaning I would lose the sound card driver that came with the computer. I don't know if the Nvidia driver gives me better sound (not that I have anything to complain about with the speakers I have now), and I don't even know which exact sound card I have. Maybe I should look it up with System Information for Windows (SIW)/ SiSoft Sandra, in case I want to reinstall the old drivers.

I hope I get more replies now that I wrote this post. I've noticed that if I write a post, people also write new posts. There should definitely be more material for them, including two pictures.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Knight wrote:I hope I get more replies now that I wrote this post. I've noticed that if I write a post, people also write new posts. There should definitely be more material for them, including two pictures.
I have mentioned before that sometimes (but not always) it is much better to get straight to the point.
I don't know what he means with this though: "There are expectations of these builds"[...]. What do you mean, Adam P? Can you explain?
It means the older builds may not run properly (i.e. "be unstable") on an i5 running Windows 8. So don't use them.

Updating your graphics card driver will probably not help as much as using a newer build.
Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

The “unstable” comment mainly regarded build 142 with Just-in-Time compilation on ("jit true" in BasiliskII_prefs)—recommend that you leave JIT off when using build 142 no matter the operating system.

JIT is so broken in 142 that it only works with the CPU set to 68040 (4)—not even the smiling Mac will come up with '020/030 and JIT on.

The older builds also appear to be most stable under System Software 7.5.5 exactly—stable enough to even run MacsBug to an extent (pre-143, displaces the stack pointer upon each entry/step, but better than nothing).

I’ve found two versions of build 142, one smaller—the one I use for smooth & stable emulation.
Last edited by Adam P on Tue May 07, 2013 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Knight
Student Driver

Post by Knight »

Adam P wrote:
The older builds also appear to be most stable under System Software 7.5.5 exactly

I’ve found two versions of build 142, one smaller—the one I use for smooth & stable emulation.
Okay, I'll try updating to System 7.5.5. I updated to System 7.5.5 already!

Which is the second version, the smaller one? The one which gives smooth and stable emulation? The second version I know of version 142 is from August 27, 2008. Maybe you are referring to that one?

I'll give up on making the old version work. I'll just transfer the hard disk images to the new version. It should be easier than Stuffing, using the My Computer icon in Basilisk, and Unstuffing in the new Basilisk.

Though I don't know if using version 143 would make the old version of Basilisk version 142 work better with Escape Velocity Override. Jorpho said to try that.

In a later post, Jorpho says: It means the older builds may not run properly (i.e. "be unstable") on an i5 running Windows 8. So don't use them.

So does this mean I shouldn't try version 143 after all?

And I don't even know where to download version 143 - I once saw it, but have forgotten where to download it. Can Jorpho give me a download link to version 143? Still more problems: That version had something called gamming ramping patch, and I don't know if I should try opening the patching program before I try Escape Velocity Override in the old 142 version.

And will that patch mess up my Windows version of Escape Velocity Nova? If so, I'd rather not try it. The Windows version of Nova is more important than the old Basilisk versions Escape Velocity Override.

Jorpho says: I have mentioned before that sometimes (but not always) it is much better to get straight to the point.

Well, once upon a time in a another forum I did write a short post. But then I wanted to make a another post. I think because I had something more to write. Then I did a second post, that means, double posted. Then the admin said I should edit my posts or make longer posts. I chose longer posts. I have been following the longer post advice ever since. I can't follow the advice of everyone - meaning I change the length of my posts just because someone says. I am following the advice of one person already, I can't change the length of my posts again just because someone says.

Cat_7 mentions: You can also start the old basilisk with the disk image from your new installation. That way you can see whether the graphics problem is Mac OS related.

Well, I don't know if I should try it anymore. I already did a new installation of System 7.5.3 in the old version of Basilisk 142, and it didn't work. That version works no better now.

Edit: Just tried Cat_7s advice. I started the old Basilisk from the disk from the new installation. I tried to scroll the map. I still got graphics corruption. I don't know what still getting graphics corruption means, Cat_7 didn't mention more than saying I can see if the graphics problem is Mac OS related. He didn't mention what it means to still get graphics corruption means.

I think I'll give up. The old version just won't work.
Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

Build 143 is more stable with JIT (doesn’t work with all programs, though; can’t handle Marathon or DooM, but runs Norton Disk Doctor).

A download for 143 is right on the main emaculation page under Historic Versions.

As far as the main problem goes here, with 142, you should make sure JIT is off.  I can’t find JIT listed in the prefs app, so here’s what I’ve done:

Open BasiliskII_prefs with a text editor (i.e., Notepad), and change the line "jit true" to "jit false".  (Or, if "jit true" doesn’t appear, insert the line "jit false" somewhere).

If 142 doesn’t work after that, then you can give up with 142 on your machine.
Knight
Student Driver

Post by Knight »

Looks like I don't need to give up!

I tried the plug-in for Escape Velocity called Empire 3: Endgame. The splash screen shows in full color. Earlier it didn't even look normal.

I tried scrolling the map, I could without any corruption. Earlier I couldn't do that.

I then opened Escape Velocity: Override and tried to scroll the map in it. It worked. I could scroll as much as I liked, earlier anything but the slightest scroll would cause graphical corruption.

I think I need to say thanks! Umm and a reply would be nice... though I don't know if this kind of post gets replies. The kind of post that says thanks, though I did mention what happened, what I could do.

I could, however, not scroll the Control Panels folder anymore. I wonder if I have less Control Panels now? When I tried to open the Control Panels folder in the newer version of Basilisk 142, which I know works, I couldn't scroll that either.

The problem is only that I already having a working new Basilisk II. Maybe I'll just copy all the files I have over to the new version. I didn't except the old version to work better by typing jit false.
Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

Well, I’m glad you got it running.

As far as the Control Panels thing goes, it may be a math issue.  I got similar results with Wolfenstein 3D when clicking on the menus—a few FPU ops used in the menubar code, failed restoration of CPU registers, the game screen was drawn sheared sometimes… or even a crash.
On that, I can only suggest turning the emulated FPU off ("fpu off" in the _prefs file), which should fix some other things too.  Furthermore, SoftwareFPU is recommended for apps that require an FPU.
Knight
Student Driver

Post by Knight »

Er... which things does turning off a FPU fix? You say it should fix a few things too. Anyway, I don't know anything about FPUs. Why would they be a problem? I never had a problem with them in Basilisk II. Why does turning the FPU off fix things?

Is SoftwareFPU a program? How do I know which programs require a FPU? Does SoftwareFPU, if it is a program, need to be open as long as I use Basilisk II if the FPU is turned off?

Oh, and I counted the amount of Control Panels. There's 30 Control Panels in the Apple menu. And 30 Control Panels in the Control Panels folder, the folder says when you click on the folder in the Apple menu. So maybe there is no need to scroll and the Control Panels folder in the Apple menu works as intended? At least the amount of Control Panels in the Apple menu and the Control Panels folder match.

The point being, there are not more Control Panels than would be shown when you mouse over the Control Panels folder in the Apple menu without scrolling.

I may not need to turn off the FPU after all, or what do you say?
Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

It has nothing to do with a count of files in the folder.

It has to do with the math in the menubar graphics— the screen drawing and determining where the mouse cursor is.

This isn't a serious problem if you don't play games like Wolfenstein 3D, which depend on this stuff.  That's all.
Knight
Student Driver

Post by Knight »

I typed fpu off in the prefs file.

Then I saved it. And opened Basilisk. I still can't scroll the Control Panels folder.

The Basilisk version I used was the newest version of Basillisk 142 that I had copied the folder of.

I then used this version to turn the FPU off.

I guess I can never scroll the Control Panels then, in the Apple Menu.

Meanwhile, the old version of Basilisk is working so well I don't need the newer version.

I like having all my plug-ins in one place, even if I didn't need them.

Maybe some day I¨'ll copy my disks over to the new version.