Where to find Preferences menu?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Tech-Demo-T-Rex
Space Cadet

Where to find Preferences menu?

Post by Tech-Demo-T-Rex »

Right, I just got into this whole emulation business and managed to set up everything. I can boot into System 7, unpack things with StuffIt and get into the one game I have installed (Marathon) pretty smoothly. Now the Marathon mouse settings are way crazy and can't be changed in game... So I went looking through the Basilisk manual:

http://www.emaculation.com/b2manual/Bas ... Manual.pdf

All those preference settings look really neat! Trouble is I can't access them. When I launch the Basilisk II GUI I only get a few tabs - Graphics/Sound, Keyboard/Mouse etc with very few alternatives. How do I bring up these other settings? I'm not all that savvy when it comes to weird runtime stuff and how they work, but I did install the GTK+ runtime that was linked on the Emaculation setup guide page. Are they missing because I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, or am I missing something much simpler?

Thanks for any help that's available!
Still dreaming of making it BIG
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Where to find Preferences menu?

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You are mixing up two versions of Basilisk. The manual you refer to deals with the specific windows version we call "build 142". Then there are the more recent versions of BasiliskII that have a so-called JIT compiler, making the emulation faster. They are managed with another GUI which has a lot less configuration options. You seem to refer to the latter, as it does need the GTK toolkit to function.
Please look through the setup guide here for your specific version: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup

The old version also has a setup guide: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_142_setup

I doubt whether the mouse problem can be fixed through the GUI. Perhaps you should at the settings in the mouse control panel in Mac OS first.

Best,
Cat_7
Tech-Demo-T-Rex
Space Cadet

Post by Tech-Demo-T-Rex »

Yeah, I've used the most recend build that was listed in the main topic for Windows above, along with the guide that you specified. The guide for the old version showed up when I was googling for a solution. I already tried lowering the sensitivity in Mac OS, and also lowered it in Windows. I even downloaded a seperate Mac program to manage mouse sensitivity inside the emulation. All this actually does work, right until I load the game world. Even when I navigate the menus I have a noticeably lower sensitivty. But once the game loads the sensitivity appears to skyrocket, and the directions seem to get all mixed up as well. I can move the camera around but there doesn't seem to be any consistency to it: one second I can look left while making a (very) small adjustment, but next time it sends me spinning 270 degrees and staring into the ceiling.

I'm starting to wonder if the game just has a lot of trouble interpreting an optical mouse. The game files are the original ones Bungie put up for download... At this point I might actually buy a real Mac off eBay just to see if I can get the game to work properly. It's still playable using just the keyboard but it's a shame to not be able to use what was a top of the line feature at the time. I know I can use the Aleph One source port for Windows but ideally I want to get as close to the original experience as (conveniently) as possible...
Still dreaming of making it BIG
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Cat_7,

Does the most recent Windows build include the patch for mouse control in FPS games that uberfox (I think it was him) contributed?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

tech-demo-t-rex,

I think it is. So you don't need to download a special build... but you do need to try the instructions contained here:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 04&p=43052

Hope that helps...
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

No, the most recent build doesn't include that patch. I have Uberfox' source code but haven't made a patch from it yet. If someone is interested?
You'll need to link to it explicitly.
EDIT: I see, you did.

Best,
Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Thought that patch might help out in this instance. I think that the original poster is trying to play a first person shooter.
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

ClockWise wrote:Thought that patch might help out in this instance. I think that the original poster is trying to play a first person shooter.
Yep. Marathon's a first person shooter from Bungie.
Tech-Demo-T-Rex wrote:Now the Marathon mouse settings are way crazy and can't be changed in game...
What do you mean way crazy? And as far as I remember, Marathon had an options menu in it. Check the main menu (if there's one), or check the usual bar at the top. Most of the full-screen games that I've played like to hide the bar at the top with the game graphics.

In a pause or main menu (when your cursor is visible), try clicking the top. Some games will have essentially nothing there, but there are also many that hide things like game options in there. Keybinds and things that are usually on the main menu should be hidden there.
Tech-Demo-T-Rex wrote:How do I bring up these other settings?
By the way, I thought the options that aren't available in the GUI would still be in the config file? Or do the different versions of Basilisk II also make different configuration files altogether?