Need Help Opening a Game (Titanic)

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

OTN3M3M
Space Cadet

Need Help Opening a Game (Titanic)

Post by OTN3M3M »

So I've searched and searched for an answer to this (and I'm sure there is one, but it's possible I'm just too dense to find it or understand it).

I've installed Basilisk II on my MacBook Air (running 10.6.8), following the setup on this website as is (the only difference is my hard drive is set to 2000 MB which I'll get to later) and Classic Environment works just fine.

The reason I installed Basilisk in the first place is because I would like to play an old Mac game, Titanic: Adventure out of Time. I do not have the discs anymore, but I have downloaded a folder with the CD images as MDF and MDS for each disc. I need to obviously put the disc images onto my hard drive, hence the 2000 MB size.

I have Toast and can combine the two files for each disc into one iso file, but I can't get that to play in Classic. Even after moving the file into the hard drive from my Unix folder.

I'm sure I'm missing some vital step in the emulation process, but can you guys help me out here? Is it a particular extension the files need to be in or should I be adjusting my hard drive or am I missing another piece of software?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can lend me.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Need Help Opening a Game (Titanic)

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You need to keep the iso file in OSX and add it to the volumes list using BasiliskIIGUI. It should then mount in BasiliskII the next time BasiliskII is started. Maybe you can install/use the game from that volume. If the game insists that the original CD must be present, you need to use the Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility to create a new image inside BasiliskII from the mounted volume and use that utility to mount that second image file.
http://www.emaculation.com/basilisk/Vir ... v1.0d0.sit

(How to use the Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility is also explained here in in the SheepShaver setup manual.)
OTN3M3M
Space Cadet

Post by OTN3M3M »

Thank you for your quick reply and suggestion.

I added the iso file to the volumes list and it did mount in Basilisk, but it acted as a simple folder when I double clicked on it. It just opened up and showed the MDF and MDS files there. When I tried to click on either of those, I get the message:

The document "TITANIC1.MDF" could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found. Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators.

Is that essentially saying I need the original CD? And the Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility you linked to would solve this problem?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I thought you said you recreated the .iso? It seems you just put the two files on an .iso image. That is not the same as recreating (an image of) the real cd.
You can do two things:
1. find a cd burning program capable of converting the MDF and MDS files into a real .iso
2. find a cd burning program capable of using the MDF and MDS files to recreate the real cd's, and then use a burning program to create real .iso's from the disks.

These resulting iso's should then mount directly in Basilisk, or mount with the virtual cd/dvd program.