unable to boot BII after a crash

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

chelim78
Tinkerer

unable to boot BII after a crash

Post by chelim78 »

I used to run quietly BII on OS 10.5.8. I upgraded to 10.6.8. and installed GUI-10.6. It was OK, but it happened that an unfortunate wrong typing crashed BII, and it could not boot anymore. I tried to reinstall the whole stuff (with a new MacOS753 volume), but the OS does not boot, although I have the locked file DiskTools_MacOS8.image at the top of volumes list in BII settings. All settings are written according to
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/bas ... _osx_setup
except for 10.6 specifications for JIT Compiler (no compile FPU instructions, translation cache size = 8192 KB).
When trying to boot I see the no system found icon ("?" on a floppy disk).
I tried PERFORMA.ROM and Mac OS ROM.
I cant imagine what's wrong. Maybe should I erase some invisible file somewhere ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I cant no more have access to 30 years of research files…
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: unable to boot BII after a crash

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. Which BasiliskII build do you use?

2. Please post here the content of your BasiliskII prefs file:
- Launch Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/)
- In Terminal window type at the prompt open .basilisk_ii_prefs and hit return. The prefs file will open in TextEdit.
- Select all, copy, and paste here.
chelim78
Tinkerer

Post by chelim78 »

Thanks a lot,
I suppose the answer to your first question is :
Basilisk II 1.0 (2009-10-04), Copyright © 1997-2006 Christian Bauer et al.

Terminal says :
disk /Users/Shared/BasiliskII/DiskTools_MacOS80.image
disk /Users/Shared/BasiliskII/MacOS753
disk /Users/Shared/BasiliskII/InstallerParts
extfs /Users/Shared/BasiliskII/TAUL753
screen win/1160/750
seriala
serialb
ether slirp
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom /Users/Shared/BasiliskII/PERFORMA.ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 67108864
frameskip 0
modelid 14
cpu 4
fpu true
nocdrom false
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit true
jitfpu false
jitdebug false
jitcachesize 8192
jitlazyflush true
jitinline true
keyboardtype 5
keycodes true
keycodefile /Users/Shared/BasiliskII/BasiliskII_keycodes
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 1
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
chelim78
Tinkerer

Post by chelim78 »

Well... I understand that I should have use the "Basilisk II GUI, Copyright © 1997-2006 Christian Bauer et al." version with the "67" icon, but actually this 10.6 BII build does not fix my problem.
chelim78
Tinkerer

Post by chelim78 »

Sorry, I'm tired, I mean I have tried "Basilisk II version 1.0, Copyright © 1997-2006 Christian Bauer et al. Mac OS X port 19"
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The settings look alright to me. The JIT Compiler settings are indeed the recommended settings for BasiliskII-10.6, not for the older 4 October 2009 build that you used but I understand that you have now replaced the BasiliskII application with the 10.6 version. The used RAM Size is 64MB, you can try a larger value, 128 or even 256. To make sure that you do not use a corrupted boot disk image, use a fresh copy of the DiskTools_MacOS80.image. Are all files owned by you (the user logged in on your host)?
chelim78
Tinkerer

Post by chelim78 »

So I gave 256 MB for the RAM size, copied a fresh copy of the DiskTools_MacOS80.image from
http://www.imsearchfile.com/info-about- ... cca55h32i0#,
locked it, ran BII GUI "67"... with no result, no boot disk found.
All files are mine since I am the only user on my mac. The BII folder is part of Shared folder and this never caused any problem...
Could there be a problem with OS 10.6.8 I upgraded to a few days ago ? I noticed that with this newer OS my mac does not appreciate at all going to sleep. With OS 10.5.8 I use to let it sleep overnight with all my file open, including those in BII. It slept fine, but now, instead of sleeping quietly under its covert it warms up to 80 °C, plays with the mouse and looks if there is a disk in the CD/DVD drive. When awakened, the prompt goes crazy and I cant no more do anything except shut down and restart, so I dont no more let it go to sleep, I shut down before I go to sleep myself. I dont know if there is a relationship between those two problems.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Can it be you are using the very old basiliskII port by Nigel Pearson? It was called port 19. You should update to a new version of Basilisk and use the modern GUI with that new version. You can find newer version in this forum.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The sleep problem does not sound right. I never had a problem like that with 10.6.8. I think you should try to find what is wrong regardless the problem with BasiliskII. After upgrading from10.6.8, Spotlight may do a complete new indexing that will take a while. Did you give your Mac time to complete the indexing? One of your running processes may have a memory leak problem in 10.6.8. Did you check Activity Monitor?

I cannot imagine what the problem in BasiliskII could be. It boots fine here from the DiskTools_MacOS80.image with the same settings in different OSX versions. There is one thing I can think of that you could try, which is removing the .basilisk-ii-xpram file. You can do that in BasiliskIIGUI by choosing "Zap PRAM File" from the File menu.

@ Cat_7
I understand that chelim78 now uses the newest BasiliskII (BasiliskII-10.6 by vasi) that is available here. It also happens to have "Mac OS X port 19" in its version description in Finder Info. Indeed very confusing.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

OK. Did you check the machine type and CPU? It has to be Mac os 8 compatible to be able to boot with the mac os 8 disktools. After the new installation of mac os 7.5 it has to be set to system 7 compatibility.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Cat_7 wrote:OK. Did you check the machine type and CPU? It has to be Mac os 8 compatible to be able to boot with the mac os 8 disktools.
From the prefs file above:

Code: Select all

modelid 14
cpu 4
Those are the correct settings: Model ID Quadra 900 (MacOS 8.x) and CPU 68040
After the new installation of mac os 7.5 it has to be set to system 7 compatibility.
Not really needed. System 7.5.3 will run fine on the same settings. (Only the reverse is true: MacOS 8 will not run on the MacOS 7 settings.)
chelim78
Tinkerer

Post by chelim78 »

I dont know how I did since I tried different prefs but I got a bright new BII with OS 7.5.3.
It remains a problem which did not exist with older BII : when the new BII is on my macbook warms up to 67 °C and the fan noise is very uncomfortable.

The prefs are now these :
disk /Users/Shared/BasiliskII/MacOS753
extfs /Users/Shared/BasiliskII/TAUL753
screen win/1160/750
seriala
serialb
ether slirp
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom Users/Shared/BasiliskII/PERFORMA.ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 67108864
frameskip 0
modelid 5
cpu 4
fpu true
nocdrom false
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit true
jitfpu false
jitdebug false
jitcachesize 8192
jitlazyflush true
jitinline true
keyboardtype 5
keycodes true
keycodefile /Users/Shared/BasiliskII/BasiliskII_keycodes
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 1
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true

Should I modify anything ?
I have not yet reinstall my software Foxpro on BII.

Another question : what can I do when this software crashes OS7 ? Can the old command-control-reset be used to restart OS7 or do I have to reinstall BII again ?

About the sleeping problem I suppose I'd better to reinstall OS 10.6.8 ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Should I modify anything ?
Settings look OK to me.
Another question : what can I do when this software crashes OS7 ? Can the old command-control-reset be used to restart OS7 or do I have to reinstall BII again ?
Better not restart MacOS in BasiliskII. Quit/shut down BasiliskII (force-quit if necessary) and start BasiliskII again.

It is a good idea to always keep a backup copy of the installed system disk image, with the system and all your additional software installations on it. If a crash corrupts the file system on that volume, you can simply make a copy of that backup to replace the corrupted disk image and you are back in business.
About the sleeping problem I suppose I'd better to reinstall OS 10.6.8 ?
Well, you could try, but if it is not the system software itself that causes the problem that will not help.
1. Make sure all your software is compatible with OSX 10.6, not only the regular applications but also plugins, bundles, application extensions, etc.
2. Make sure you have sufficient free space on your hard disk, at least ten times the amount of installed RAM. Others claim that at least 10% of the disk needs to be free.
3. Try to see in Activity Monitor if there are processes that take up unusual amounts, or gradually increasing amounts, of CPU time or memory.
4. Try startup while keeping the shift key down. Your Mac will start up in safe mode, during startup an additional check of the hard disk will be performed and most cache files will be emptied or deleted. After that, you can do a normal restart. This procedure solves some problems.
5. You can download the 10.6.8 combo-updater and simply install it over the existing system.
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?view ... cale=en_US
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri May 03, 2013 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
chelim78
Tinkerer

Post by chelim78 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:It is a good idea to always keep a backup copy of the installed system disk image, with the system and all your additional software installations on it. If a crash corrupts the file system on that volume, you can simply make a copy of that backup to replace the corrupted disk image and you are back in business.
Good idea, done.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:2. Make sure you have sufficient free space on your hard disk, at least ten times the amount of installed RAM. Others claim that at least 10% of the disk needs to be free.
I have 40 Go free on my 80 Go hard disk.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:You can download the 10.6.8 combo-updater and simply install it over the existing system.
This file cannot be opened, it's not recognized.

Trying to reinstall Foxpro software on MacOS753, the installation begins and stops with "System error -51". According to this page :
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1618
its a file system error (rfNumErr Reference number invalid)
I had no difficulty to install it on older BII build.

Moreover I kept a small game needing 800 Ko memory. It doesnot open anymore because "lack of memory" although RAM is 64 Mo.

So... maybe should I go bak to OS 10.5.8 !
chelim78
Tinkerer

Post by chelim78 »

More : New BII cant open directly as older BII could, I have to open BIIGUI and click "start".
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I really do not know what is going on your Mac, this is all very strange.

Have you checked the file system on your hard disk: In Disk Utility select your hard disk and click the "Verify Disk" button. If the disk is not found to be OK, there is a problem with the file system on the disk. If and after the disk is found to be OK, you can also continue to "Verify Disk Permissions".
chelim78 wrote:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:You can download the 10.6.8 combo-updater and simply install it over the existing system.
This file cannot be opened, it's not recognized.
It is a normal .dmg disk image file with a regular installer package on it. Could the .dmg file not be mounted? Maybe the file was not downloaded completely?
Trying to reinstall Foxpro software on MacOS753, the installation begins and stops with "System error -51". According to this page :
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1618
its a file system error (rfNumErr Reference number invalid)
I had no difficulty to install it on older BII build.
The BII build should not make any difference. How did you do the installation? Where did you put the installer files?

Note that you should not run applications, including installers, from the 'Unix' volume. Also not when moved directly from the 'Unix' volume to the desktop, which will not copy them but just move them to the desktop of the 'Unix' volume. Applications must first be copied from the 'Unix' volume to another volume. That can be the system volume. Is the 7.5.3 system volume large enough for additional installations?
Moreover I kept a small game needing 800 Ko memory. It doesnot open anymore because "lack of memory" although RAM is 64 Mo.
The same here. Did you copy the game to the 7.5.3 volume?
chelim78
Tinkerer

Post by chelim78 »

Hard disk verification is OK, permissions too.

Sorry, I didn't remember installations could not be made on Unix disk. Foxpro is now installed on the OS disk and seems to run OK.

BII uses about 17.8 to 22.4 % of the processor. 9 threads. Real (?) memory : 83.8 Mo, Virtual mem. 116.2 Mo

CPU temperature goes up and down between 63 and 67 °C, the fan follows CPU temp. between 3000 and 4700 rpm, so I could not work without a cask on my ears ! Fan could not be heard with older BII.

Il allowed 30 Mo memory to Foxpro, as with older BII. Cache size is 2048 Ko. I put virtual memory on, is it a good idea ?

I did not try again to open

N.B. BII does not open, I have to open BIIGUI and click "start" to open BII.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

chelim78 wrote:BII uses about 17.8 to 22.4 % of the processor. 9 threads. Real (?) memory : 83.8 Mo, Virtual mem. 116.2 Mo
About normal values for BasiliskII. On my machine the 10.6 build and the 2009 build both behave similarly in this respect.
CPU temperature goes up and down between 63 and 67 °C, the fan follows CPU temp. between 3000 and 4700 rpm, so I could not work without a cask on my ears ! Fan could not be heard with older BII.
Temperature is not high enough to explain excessive fan activity. Does this excessive fan activity only happen while running BasiliskII? Which Mac model is your host machine?
I put virtual memory on, is it a good idea ?
Virtual memory does not work in BasiliskII. That is one of the reasons why one needs to set the RAM value to a higher value than the amount of physical RAM that one would need in a real hardware Mac.
I did not try again to open
The full link is http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?view ... cale=en_US
You need to click the link here or use copy link in the contextual menu. If you copy the link as text, you get the abbreviation (with ... in the middle) that will not work when pasted.
BII does not open, I have to open BIIGUI and click "start" to open BII.
Very strange. Double-clicking the BasiliskII icon should work just as well to launch BasiliskII.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri May 03, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Regarding the fans running at high speed:
If you tried the other things I mentioned, especially the safe boot (startup with shift key pressed), and still have the problem, you may need to do a SMC reset. Read about that here (French version): http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=fr_FR
chelim78
Tinkerer

Post by chelim78 »

Hello !

I have done the "Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1" update successfully.

I use a 2007 MacBook with 2 Go RAM. It's not supposed to support OS 10.7.

Now, when running Mail, TextEdit, Firefox and BII together, CPU temp. goes up to 67 °C and fan stands below 3700 rpm. With Firefox off fan goes down to 2550 rpm, which is the minimal default value.

So I guess it's not necessary to do a SMC reset.

Clicking BII in the Dock or in Finder still does not open it, but its not a problem since BIIGUI does.

I thank you very much for your so effective help. I'll be back if new problems would appear !

Have a nice week-end.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Did you drag a new copy of basilisk into the dock?

Best,
Cat_7
chelim78
Tinkerer

Post by chelim78 »

> Cat_7

Yes, I did...
09mai2013
Student Driver

Post by 09mai2013 »

how about a new user (administrative rights), on the same Macintosh, and re-installing UB 20091004, and then 10.6 and GUI 10.6, without any aliases to it, or docks, and booting up just system-70 on an 68030, and using a ROM that is not corrupt, just in case. (I hope there are no preferences in the /libraries because I cannot advise on them. And I would not install into /Programs but on Desktop but cannot advise on this.) And Starting BasiliskII not only from the GUI Start Button (Start required to write the preferences), but also by doubleclicking Basilisk-II (not an alias to it). If this still fails ...

P.
Last edited by 09mai2013 on Thu May 09, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
09mai2013
Student Driver

Post by 09mai2013 »

chelim78 wrote:Hello !

I have done the "Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1" update successfully.

I use a 2007 MacBook with 2 Go RAM. It's not supposed to support OS 10.7.

Now, when running Mail, TextEdit, Firefox and BII together, CPU temp. goes up to 67 °C and fan stands below 3700 rpm. With Firefox off fan goes down to 2550 rpm, which is the minimal default value.
I suggest no Firefox at the same time in a debugging situation. And Firefox does play movies (advertisements, for example, or other layout stuff), flash player uses a lot of resources.
chelim78
Tinkerer

Post by chelim78 »

Summary of problems and partial solutions.

mac HD verification : OK
plain hardware test : OK
extended hardware test : one error found : 4HDD/11/40000004:SATA(0,0)
I saw that people who have this error change for a new HD…

unable to suspend mac activity : temp. rises to 80°C, mac tries to read a CDR or DVD every about 30 s.

BII starts only if I click "start" button on BIIGUI (I mean BII clicked from the dock, from applications Folder or from BasiliskII folder).

Note that double clicking does not anything when trying to browse files in BIIGUI:Volumes:Add.

When BII is started, BIIGUI window disappears but this app. does not quit. I have to quit from the dock.

When running Mail + TextEdit + Firefox + a software with BII, I noticed that the % of process. used by WindowServer goes continuously up and down and up and down, and temp. and fan do the same. So I tried to reduce BIIGUY:Widow refresh rate from Dynamic to 30 hz. This caused some improvement. At 15 hz it was even better.

But the best of all is running BII without OS 10.6 extensions : fan runs at 1800 - 1900 rpm and I can keep Mail, TextEdit, Firefox (low intensive websites as wikipedia, dictionaries) all open together.

I have another question : is it possible to install in OS 753 disk a software from a set of floppy disks ? Do I have to declare those 9 volumes in BIIGUI:volumes ? Of course there is only one floppy disk at a time in the floppy driver.

Thank you everybody