Type 3 error when trying to go online

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Retrocore9
Space Cadet

Type 3 error when trying to go online

Post by Retrocore9 »

Im currently running basilisk II latest build on a macbook pro with system 7.5 installed. Using a mac ii rom with 64 mb memory selected.

Im able to see the unix folder just fine. After using open port connections and then setting tcp/ip setting with automatic dhcp as soon as it saves I get a type 3 system error. Opening any web browser like mac web results in a type 3 error and crash. Opening any program results in the same error which didnt happen before setting the tcp/ip

Ive tried trashing tcp/ip preferences with the same result. To get rid of the error i've had to recreate the harddrive and reinstall 7.5.

Any ideas how to get this working? Maybe a bad rom?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Type 3 error when trying to go online

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. Better use a ROM file that is known to work well with BasiliskII. If you search the web for "redundant robot" you will find a site that has a Performa rom file that will work.

2. You installed System 7.5, not 7.5.3?

3. Open Transport with TCP/IP control panel is not shown by default in those system versions. How did you get the TCP/IP control panel? When you write "After using open port connections" does that mean that you used the Network Software Selector to change the network software to Open Transport?
Retrocore9
Space Cadet

Post by Retrocore9 »

It was the rom file causing it. I used the Performa rom you recommended and everything worked perfectly.

I was using 7.5.3. Yes I went to Network Software Selector and changed the network software to Open Transport. I should have been more exact in my post but it was really late at night posting that.

So that's interesting the Mac II rom gave the type 3 error. I wonder if that was a common ethernet error with the old Mac IIs.

Wonderful program, thanks so much for your help!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Once upon a time I had two Mac_II with Nubus cards networked together via BNC with a PCMacLAN AppleTalk Server.
Never saw that kind of error, so I presume its an emulation feature. :)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Unlike many assume, the used ROM file does not make these emulators (BasiliskII and SheepShaver) emulate the machine where the ROM file comes from.
Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

The type-3 error (Mac OS, not an emulation feature) is the Illegal Instruction error, and sometimes occurs spuriously, along with the related type 10— Illegal F-line Instruction (or unhandled FPU op.).

These errors can pop up when using programs that call for better JIT emulation, where relaunching them can cause problems.

The older TCP/IP software can bring this stuff on.  I’ve not gotten Open Transport (or that 7.5.x version) up and running at all.

Sacrificing performance, you can reduce the chances of this crash by turning JIT off.