No UNIX shared folder disk in MacOS Catalina guest.

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

MacDoodle
Space Cadet

No UNIX shared folder disk in MacOS Catalina guest.

Post by MacDoodle »

The guest starts and runs normally. Itʼs Mac OS 8.0. I can use the installed software and fiddle with the settings. Iʼve had the guest system for quite some time and used it on my old (2007) iMac for years. But since I had to upgrade to Catalina on this new iMac I bought early last year, the UNIX shared folder has disappeared from the guest desktop. The Shared folder has Read & Write permission for all options in the host. I would like to be able to share files between the guest and the host. Can someone help? :?:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: No UNIX shared folder disk in MacOS Catalina guest.

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The shared folder / Unix should work in Catalina. Have you checked the path to the shared folder in the prefs settings? Maybe you need to enter the path again. There is a new BasiliskII Prefs app that works in Catalina: https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... =6&t=10454
(It is not yet notarized, so you will need to use right-click or control-click to open it the first time.)

Catalina has a new security feature that protects access to certain folders (Documents, Desktop, Downloads, iCloud Drive, external drives). If that is the issue I would expect a dialog asking to allow BasiliskII access the folder.

Edit 1: Which BasiliskII version/build do you use?

Edit 2: Note that in Catalina (or rather with the new APFS file system) files that are moved inside BasiliskII to the Unix volume will loose their resource fork. They will need to be encoded to survive that route.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
MacDoodle
Space Cadet

Post by MacDoodle »

Basilisk II 1.0, SDL2 port
I have checked the Shared folder path in both the GJUI App and the configuration text file and they appear to be correct.
i had thought maybe Basilisk II needed permission to control the computer under Security & Privacy in Preferences, so I added it. I don’t know how to encode files to survive the resource fork, I thought it was done by the app.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

MacDoodle wrote:Basilisk II 1.0, SDL2 port
Which build (date)?

Did the shared folder work on the other host with the same MacOS 8.0 installation that you use now?

Where is your BasiliskII application located and where is the shared folder located?
i had thought maybe Basilisk II needed permission to control the computer under Security & Privacy in Preferences, so I added it.
Did that work?
I don’t know how to encode files to survive the resource fork, I thought it was done by the app.
By archiving in stuffit (.sit) format and/or encoding in binhex (.hqx) format as was customary to do in classic MacOS times before transferring a Mac file over a connection that could include a non-Mac file system.
MacDoodle
Space Cadet

Post by MacDoodle »

build: BasiliskII_notarized_20191209
app location: Macintosh HD/Applications
Shared folder location: Macintosh HD/Users/myuserrname/basilisk/Shared
Basilisk II worked on my old (2007) iMac since i first got it with Leopard, right up through El Capitan. It worked on this new iMac with Mojave, I think because Mojave still supported 32 bit apps. When i was forced to upgrade to Catalina the UNIX drive vanished.
Adding Basilisk II to the list of applications allowed to control this computer made no change.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Best update to the new 12 January 2020 build. It solves the 'Unix' shared folder issue with loss of resource forks on APFS files system macOS hosts.

I do not think that the Unix disk working for you in Mojave has anything to do with Mojave being able to run 32-bit applications. Did you use a very old 32-bit only SheepShaver?

Have you tried adding the shared folder again for 'Unix Root' using the 'Browse' button in the new BasiliskII GUI?
MacDoodle
Space Cadet

Post by MacDoodle »

I downloaded and installed the new 12 January 2020 build. No change
I tried adding the Shared folder again in the new Basilisk II GUI. No change.
Iʼve never tried SheepShaver, so I cannot answer to that point.
What should I try next? :?:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

MacDoodle wrote:Iʼve never tried SheepShaver, so I cannot answer to that point.
My mistake, I meant 32-bit BasiliskII.
What should I try next? :?:
I don't know. It's a mystery. So far, you are the only one who reported this issue with BasiliskII in Catalina.

Maybe you can post the content of your prefs file here, so we can see if there is anything in it that could explain this problem. To get the content of the prefs file, you can do this:

- Open your Home folder.
- Hit command-shift-. (command-shift-dot). Hidden files swill become visible
- Find the file .basilisk_ii_prefs
- Double-click that file, it will open in TextEdit
- Select and copy all content
- Before you close the Finder window, hit again command-shift to hide the 'invisible' files
- Paste the copied prefs content here in your reply
MacDoodle
Space Cadet

Post by MacDoodle »

disk /Users/j.c.coleman/basilisk/OS8.0.dmg
disk /Users/j.c.coleman/basilisk/OLD MAC.dmg
extfs Users/j.c.coleman/basilisk/Shared
screen win/1024/768
seriala
serialb
ether slirp
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom /Users/j.c.coleman/basilisk/performa.rom
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 67108864
frameskip 0
modelid 14
cpu 3
fpu false
nocdrom true
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit true
jitfpu false
jitdebug false
jitcachesize 8192
jitlazyflush true
jitinline true
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
keycodefile
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

MacDoodle wrote:disk /Users/j.c.coleman/basilisk/OS8.0.dmg
disk /Users/j.c.coleman/basilisk/OLD MAC.dmg
extfs Users/j.c.coleman/basilisk/Shared
Do you see what's different in the third line, compared to the first two? No forward slash before "Users". Try adding that and see what happens.
MacDoodle
Space Cadet

Post by MacDoodle »

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER! That did it. Thank you so much. God bless you. :cool:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Next time you add a shared folder (or the keycodes file, or a rom file) in the BasiliskII GUI application, do not type the path but use the 'Browse...' button (as I indicated above). The GUI app will enter the path correctly, with the leading forward slash.