Appletalk on Linux

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

fatfreddie
Space Cadet

Appletalk on Linux

Post by fatfreddie »

Hi,

I'm trying to get my two (identical) emulations (MacOS7.5.4) to perform some filesharing via Appletalk in my home Wi-Fi network. Both run on Ubuntu 12.04.

Although I can access the internet (using the slirp interface) in both of them, they don't seem be finding each other, nor can they be found via Netatalk from Linux.

I'm currently trying to work out a solution along the lines of this http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/app ... heepshaver tutorial to set up Appletalk on OSX, but have a hard time figuring out what's what, since I'm rather clueless with regards to OSX.

As far as I understand, one has to set up a virtual interface with a static IP and then make Basilisk use that interface; the emulated Mac should then be given the same network configurations as the virtual interface.

So I tried setting up a virtual interface in Ubuntu using vlan, but failed so far. Setting up a VI seems to be more complicated than I initially thought and hoped. Since I'm not sure whether I'm on the right track at all, I'd be glad if someone could share some thoughts on this issue with me :)

EDIT: The project died before it started. There's no way to make AppleTalk work over a Wi-Fi connection except your router explicitly supports it, which seems to be rare, as I was informed here http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 377#p45377

On wired networks the sheep_net driver should be used for AppleTalk functionality.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Appletalk on Linux

Post by adespoton »

Apple's tossing another spanner in your works (sorta): OS X 10.9 and later won't support AppleTalk. They'll be SAMBA only.

You might have better results using the LPR, Postscript and NFS drivers for System 7 and skip AppleTalk altogether. Doesn't help for AppleTalk specific software, but I think there's usually TCP/IP versions of most of that stuff floating around.

For filesharing, you can also cheat and use the UNIX folder sharing feature, and share that folder from the host via NFS or SMB with your other host system (thereby having your UNIX drive shaved between both hosts and both guests). As a bonus, have a folder in there that pushes any .ps files found to your printer, and you can use the print2ps chooser extension to save documents to that folder as a print queue, to have them automatically print to any printer watching the queue. If you don't have a postscript printer, you should be able to get CUPS to handle the conversion for you.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Appletalk on Linux

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You mean the Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) will be retired. That is not the same as Appletalk, which hasn't been supported since 10.6. Our solution to provide Appletalk with the tuntaposx kext and IPNetRouter should still work for OSX, as should the sheep_net driver based Linux solution.

And as Apple finally (since 10.8) supports bridging ethernet interfaces, an Appletalk solution without IPNetRouter is also available.

Best,
Cat_7