problem with running basiliskii

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Are basilisk and Sheepshaver easy to install?

BasiliskII has a simple setup
50%
BasiliskII took a while to install
50%
Sheepshaver has a simple setup
No votes
Sheepshaver took a while to install
No votes

Total votes: 4
trogfield
Space Cadet

problem with running basiliskii

Post by trogfield »

Iv tried running this program on macOS 10.5.8, i got it to run for a half hour without using the system 7.5.3 files. My intention was to install the game realmz and play it, but i never got past launching basilisk. Now i will try to install and configure basilisk again and see how far i get. brb. let me also see if i could upload images.
i tried multiple endings for the floppy"os8.image" and the performa.image
i read the tutorial multiple times, have the 7.5.3 files, but have not configured them, and i did create a space for the hard disk and installer parts.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: problem with running basiliskii

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Your error "Unsupported Rom file" has to be resolved before Basilisk can work.

Please open the preferences editor, go to the Memory/misc tab and tell us what it says at ROM file.
Close the preferences editor.

I am assuming the volume "PERFORMA.image" is actually your ROM file. What is its size in the "Abasisk" folder? I guess 1 Mb.
If so, rename the file back to PERFORMA.ROM. Then open the preferences editor, go to the volumes list, select PERFORMA.image and click Remove. Next, go to the memory/misc tab and under ROM file select the PERFORMA.ROM file.
Close the preferences editor and start BasiliskII again.

By the way: I notice you use a folder called basiliskII/shared at the Unix Root setting, but use a folder called Abasisk for the disk images and rom file. Is this intentional?

Best,
Cat_7
trogfield
Space Cadet

Post by trogfield »

thank you for the help and reply. i will double check all of my links and reread the tutorial again.

the Memory/misc tab had the wrong location for the ROM file. i would think that it would update from the volumes window. i tried multiple file endings and locked and unlocked files for a long time. i guess trial and error does not work too well, and it would really help if i knew what i was doing.

the difference in names for the basilisk folders is because i tried 3 times to install the program in 3 different locations. i installed it finally on the hard drive in its own folder, so i wouldnt have to repeatedly search through the folders to find the location of whatever file i needed for the program. i think i am close to getting Basilisk running now. i am happy, i will finally be able to play realmz and any of the other good games of the time. thank you, once it does run.

here are new pics. i cant get the os8 floppy to run, and i dont know how to say this: the unix does not read the shared folder.ImageImageImage
trogfield
Space Cadet

Post by trogfield »

is there another post on this board where someone had the same problem?
i finally got the unix folder to load.
The folder can be anywhere it is convenient for you and it can have any name you like. However, this manual assumes that a shared folder in the BasiliskII folder called “Shared” is available. Prepare for installation of MacOS by creating the Shared folder in your BasiliskII folder.Image
i was thinking i should put the shared folder inside the basiliskll folder, but when i put it somewhere else, it worked.

now i need to see if the program is compatible with this system. maybe i need to use sheepsaver or find another program for the newer os.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. This is indeed not the type of software that you can get to work easily by trial and error. You need to follow the setup guide.

2. The path to the ROM file is not set in the volumes list (it is not a volume) as you discovered.

3. When you re-install the software and/or additional files in a different location, the paths to the files will be different from the paths as set in the GUI application, and will not work anymore. Either install the software in its original location or re-configure the settings in the GUI application.

(Re-installing BasiliskII is never needed. The application will not change while used so the new BasiliskII will be identical to the one installed before.)

4. The shared folder can indeed be anywhere it is convenient for you but, of course, its location and the path set in the GUI must match.

5. The message "The System Software on this disk is designed for starting up from a floppy disk only" is normal and can be ignored for the use in BasiliskII.

6. Your last screenshot looks okay. You now need to copy the 19 installer part to the installer parts volume, there mount the installer volume by double clicking the .smi file, then install the system onto the macOS7 volume you created, then shut down BasiliskII, then use the GUI to remove the DiskTools and installerparts images, and finally you can startup BasiliskII form the installed 7.5.3 system. See the setup manual.

7. It is possible to install and use MacOS 8 or 8.1 in BasiliskII, the DiskTools_MacOS80.image you used ("Disk Tools 1" on the BasiliskII desktop) is a MacOS 8 disk.

8. Apparently you also used an image of a different "os8 disk tools" disk that was not recognized. Where did you get that one?

BTW: Why did you make this topic a poll?
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: