Stuffit 5.5 Only partially extracts SIT files.....Help!

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

toxee
Space Cadet

Stuffit 5.5 Only partially extracts SIT files.....Help!

Post by toxee »

I went through the whole Basilisk II windows tutorial and managed to get all the recommended tools and upgrades on my new volume. Fresh copy of MacOS 7.5.3 upgraded to 7.5.5. I downloaded a few files in .sit format from MacGarden and Stuffit went through the process just fine with no errors. When I opened the new folders though, only one or two random files extracted. From a 7.7mb .sit, I'd end up with a 6kb folder that only had one or two icons or random data files. This happened every time with several files.

I'm using Stuffit 5.5 and using the drag the sit over the the Stuffit icon method. Is there something I'm missing or are the sit files from that site and others made for newer versions of Stuffit? I was assuming a lot of people were successfully playing games from that site with the same setup.
Last edited by toxee on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Stuffit 5.5 Only partially extracts SIT files.....Help!

Post by 24bit »

I may be, that some stuff on MB was compressed with Stuffit 7 - or even with StuffitX.
Not a big thing in OSX, but troublesome on a Windows host.
Which are the problematic files in question?
Did you make sure to copy your files to the emulated Mac´s volume, not to the desktop?
Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

I think you mean 7.5.3 upgraded to 7.5.5.  The last time I checked, you can't drag documents onto apps without something like System 7.x+. (This kind of dragging is built in to the 7.x Finder so drag & drop—built-in to 7.5+— isn't necessary.)

As far as your question goes, yeah, you want to make sure your destination is on an HFS volume so the resource fork can develop properly.  Everything should develop adequately with B2's external file system using the .rsrc directory, but that's not the likely problem here.

StuffIt Expander may bail if an archive is bad or unsupported without any kind of error message.  I've had experience with Macintosh Garden where the downloaded archives are truncated— too short.

With MacGarden, they're probably in the older format; I'd say try the archive(s) with Stuffit Lite 3.x, where all errors are supposed to be displayed.  If that doesn't work, if it says it probably isn't a StuffIt archive, it's probably too new, and the file would have to be looked at with a hex editor to note things like exact length (to see if it's truncated) and starting signature.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

If all else fails, you might want to try the Windows-extraction trick:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ext ... in_windows
toxee
Space Cadet

Post by toxee »

I did use the HFV Explorer tool to add all the files. I actually got the files working by trying different CPU setups and I turned JIT compiler back on. When I was setting Bask up I had to disable to install 7.5.3. You were right Adam, forgot the 7, thanks! :razz:

Thanks all you guys for the help, the only problem now is I get a few random crashes before the games launch. I also noticed there is a a delay with the controls. Was trying to play a game but noticed the controls don't always respond. Prince of Persia 2 but Abuse runs near perfect.