Problems setting up Basilisk II for Windows XP

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Jack Reynolds
Space Cadet

Problems setting up Basilisk II for Windows XP

Post by Jack Reynolds »

Hello,

I'm currently setting up Basilisk II on my PC. I have been reading the following webpage to guide me through the entire process: http://emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup . I have gotten as far as the "What Else?" section, and have downloaded Stuffit Expander 5.5. To install the program, the guide says to open HFVExplorer, locate the file for the program, and drag it into the "install.hfv" disk image (called System 7.5.3) on the left-hand side. I have opened HFVExplorer, and have located the file for Stuffit Expander 5.5, but the disk image is missing from the left-hand side. All that's showing is the System 7 Boot disk and the folders for the A, C, and D drives. The guide says at one point that if an image you've created does not appear on the left-hand side, then you should click on "File" and "Open Volume" to find it. Using this method, I've found the "install.hfv" file, but I don't know if this is what I'm looking for. The guide also says that if you click the "Enable My Computer" box in the Volumes tab of the Basilisk II GUI, you can drag files from your PC to the emulated Mac without using HFVExplorer as the go-between. I've done this in an attempt to get around the problem I'm having with HFVExplorer, and I've dragged the file for Stuffit Expander 5.5 from my PC to the desktop for the emulated Mac. The guide is now telling me to boot the emulated Mac and locate "Aladdin Expander 5.5 Installer", but I can't find it.

Please can someone tell me if there's a way to fix the problem I'm having with HFVExplorer, and let me know where "Aladdin Expander 5.5 Installer" is located on the emulated Mac. Once everything's up and running, I'm going to need some help tidying up my PC desktop because I have files all over the place as a result of attempting to set up Basilisk II.

Thanks,

Jack.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Problems setting up Basilisk II for Windows XP

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You experienced what can happen when you try to move Mac files with Windows as go-between. The files easily get corrupted.
What is the name of the hard disk file you have installed Mac OS on as it is listed in the Windows folder in which you put your files? You should open that file in HFV explorer. Make sure BasiliskII is not running at that time. The disk contents should be shown in right pane when you select the disk.
Next, navigate to stuff-it expander as you did before and drag the file to the disk name on the left. Answer Yes/OK to any questions popping up. Close HFV explorer and start Basilisk. The stuff-it program should now be on the disk.

Best,
Cat_7
Jack Reynolds
Space Cadet

Post by Jack Reynolds »

Hello,

Thanks for replying to my message. I'll give what you suggested a try over the next few days, and I'll write back to let you know how things went.

Talk to you soon,

Jack.
Jack Reynolds
Space Cadet

Post by Jack Reynolds »

Hello,

What you suggested worked. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I've now set up Basilisk II. To finish, please can you help me tidy up my Windows desktop? Like I said before, I have files all over the place as a result of setting up Basilisk II. I'm willing to tell you the names of all the files I have so that you can tell me what to do with them. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Jack.
Jack Reynolds
Space Cadet

Post by Jack Reynolds »

Hello,

I've come back to the thread I set up to let you know that I've tidied up my desktop. I now have another issue with Basilisk II, so I'm going to set up a new thread and see if I can get some help.

Jack