Basilisk with Appletalk support; ML and upwards

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

Basilisk with Appletalk support; ML and upwards

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

NOTE: these are not our suggested BasiliskII builds and the links no longer work. You can find the suggested builds at:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... f=6&t=7361

CAUTION: Use these builds only when you need easy Appletalk support. These builds do not stem from the official source code repository and will most likely not be updated when the official source code changes.

The links below provide BasiliskII builds with greatly simplified support for Appletalk through the "etherhelper" (thanks to dsumorok!). This will only work in Mountain Lion and upwards. Appletalk will only work with WIRED ethernet connections. All builds also support "normal" slirp based networking. (source code at: https://github.com/dsumorok/macemu)

1. 64 bit BasiliskII with JIT, SDL-based, etherhelper.
http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/Bas ... 7-2013.zip

2. 64 bit BasiliskII, SDL-based (No JIT), etherhelper.

3. 64 bit Basilisk, XQuartz-based (No JIT), with extended support for the ASC (Apple Sound Chip), etherhelper.

4. 32 bit Basilisk, SDL and Ethernethelper, no jit.
http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads2/Ba ... er-SDL.zip

How to run these builds:
Appletalk support is achieved by bridging your WIRED network connection with a tap driver. This will only work in Mountain Lion or higher, as Apple only added support for bridging network connections from Mountain Lion onwards. If you don't run Mountain Lion or higher, you can refer to our Appletalk guide at:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/app ... heepshaver

1. Backup you current version of BasiliskII.

2. Installation:
-Install tuntap_20111101.pkg from the folder "tuntap_20111101".
(http://tuntaposx.sourceforge.net, created by Mattias Nissler <mattias.nissler@gmx.de>).
Install both the drivers and the startup items.
Note on Yosemite this updated tuntap packages is needed: https://sourceforge.net/projects/tuntap ... /20141104/

-Dowload the desired BasiliskII build from the links above. Rename the BasiliskII build in the download to "BasiliskII".
Please note that if you want to run the XQuartz build, you will need to download and install the XQuartz environment. This will happen automatically on the first time you run a XQuartz-based application.

-Use the BasiliskII GUI (BasiliskIIGUI) to set the required ethernet settings. Go to the Serial/Network tab and enter at Ethernet Interface:

"etherhelper/tap0/bridge0/en0" (without the quotes) (see below for correct determination of the last parameter (enX)

Explanation of the parameters:
etherhelper: signals Basilisk to use the etherhelper tool in the current package.
tap0: The tap driver supports 16 tap devices (from tap0 to tap15). You would normally only use "tap0".
bridge0: OSX supports multiple bridges between network connections. You would normally only use "bridge0"
en0: You need to find the OSX internal name of your WIRED ethernet connection. If you have a wireless connection, this most often uses "en0", so your wired connection would be "en1". You can find out the name of your wired connection by opening system information (about this mac -> more info -> system report) and clicking "Network". In the Active Services list on the right, find "Ethernet" and use the BSD Device name.

Save the basilisk_ii_prefs file by clicking "Save". This concludes the installation.

You can revert to normal slirp networking by entering "slirp" at the "Ethernet Interface". If you set TCP/IP to manual in the Mac OS TCP/IP Control panel, please set it back to using DHCP.

3. Running BasiliskII:
-Click "Start" in the BasiliskIIGUI (this will only work if your BasiliskII program is called "BasiliskII"), or start BasiliskII by double-clicking the application. You will then need to enter your password and click/press OK.

-Go to the TCP/IP control panel and either set Configure to "Using DHCP Server" or to "Manually".
If set to "Manually", set IP address to a free address in your network, set Subnet mask, Router address, Name server addr. to the same values your network uses. (See System Preferences/Network for the correct values)

4. Advanced usage: Connection a Basilisk and SheepShaver instance on the same machine through Appletalk.
SheepShaver doesn't support the automated setup of appletalk support. You can, however, start SheepShaver through the manual solution provided at http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/app ... heepshaver. By using a second tap device (e.g., "tap1") and manually adding it to the same bridge BasiliskII uses you can connect both through Appletalk.

5. Known issues:
-Sometimes the DHCP server in your network can get "confused". This results in a longer wait before the Mac OS desktop shows in BasiliskII. This, however, doesn't affect Appletalk working. A solution is to set TCP/IP to "Manually" (see above).
-If TCP/IP is not set to be always active, a system error might occur on start-up and shut down might hang. Set TCP/IP to always active in the TCP/IP control panel (first select user mode "advanced" and then use the Options button to uncheck "load only when needed"

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Basilisk for OSX Mountain Lion and upwards with Appletal

Post by Cat_7 »

NOTE: these builds are superseded by the builds in the first post.

I have prepared 4 new Basilisk builds for OSX Mountain Lion, based on the code by dsumorok. These all require you to have XQuartz installed. OS X will ask you to install XQuartz the first time you start any of these builds. These builds all seem much faster than the SDL based builds ;-)
All builds are 64 bit and can be used in place of the OSX builds based on SDL we normally provide. The BasiliskGUI can also be used with these builds.

1. http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/Bas ... 7-2013.zip
This is a Basilisk build with JIT.

2. http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/Bas ... Quartz.zip
This build includes JIT and the etherhelper for appletalk support (see first post for configuration of the etherhelper)

3. http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/Bas ... 7-2013.zip
This build includes only the etherhelper for appletalk support. No JIT.

4. http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/Bas ... 7-2013.zip
This build includes the etherhelper for appletalk support and supports sound for more games than the original BasiliskII. No JIT.

Happy testing, and please provide feedback.

Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

After installing XQuartz, I tested the first one under 10.8.4. It starts up quickly, but always in the smallest possible window, and in grayscale only. It ignores the windows size setting in the prefs file, and doesn't remember the settings I made in System 7.5.5 in the Monitors control panel.

Am I doing something wrong here?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Does it work if you pass parameters on the command line or use a sheepvm?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

In the XQuartz builds the screen size settings from the GUI seem to be ignored. At start the window size is what you set, but then the screen quickly jumps to the actual size set in Mac OS. But the resolution can then be set when using "Options" in the Monitors control panel. As can color/bw. Please notice that the option for Thousands of colours is absent. The developer disabled it, as it seems XQuartz doesn't support it.

In my 7.5 installation Mac OS settings for screen/colour are remembered, so that must be something on your end?

Did you try the 32 bit SDL build from my first post? Did you also try networking? It seems more stable through the tuntap device than with slirp. (You cannot use the first XQuartz build for that.)

What rom are you using?

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Basilisk doesn't support sheepvm's. And I never tried running from the command line.

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

NOTE: these builds are now available from the first post.

Three new builds, this time all 64bit and SDL based:
1. http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/Bas ... 7-2013.zip
Provides etherhelper and JIT.
2. http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/Bas ... 7-2013.zip
Provides etherhelper only. No JIT
3. http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/Bas ... 7-2013.zip
Provides basic BasiliskII for use with slirp networking. No JIT.

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Cat_7 wrote:In my 7.5 installation Mac OS settings for screen/colour are remembered, so that must be something on your end?

Did you try the 32 bit SDL build from my first post? Did you also try networking? It seems more stable through the tuntap device than with slirp. (You cannot use the first XQuartz build for that.)

What rom are you using?
I'm using a file named Performa630.rom. Haven't tried networking yet, but will try to get to that in the next few days.

The first of your new 64-bit builds works perfectly. Haven't tried networking yet (I don't have a wired connection where I'm staying this month).
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

How is performance compared to the XQuartz build?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Performance seems fine for both. In mavericks dp 2 the SDL builds seem faster than the XQuartz builds. But that doesn't tell us much yet.

Best,
Cat_7
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

Do these new builds have vasi's sparsebundle support?
sentient06
Mac Mechanic

Post by sentient06 »

Got an error. Unrelated to ethernet, though, is Basilisk's.

Code: Select all

Basilisk II V1.0 by Christian Bauer et al.
Reading ROM file...
Invalid thread_state flavor = 0. Not forwarding
BasiliskII(615,0xac4caa28) malloc: *** error for object 0x126a000: pointer being freed was not allocated
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
Segmentation fault: 11
Testing on OSX 10.8.0

Any clues?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I can tell, I don't have that error with the first 64 bit build (with etherhelper and jit) in Mavericks GM. I don't have a 10.8 installation anymore, but these builds were tested initially on 10.8.x

Best,
Cat_7
sentient06
Mac Mechanic

Post by sentient06 »

Aha!

Deleted .basilisk_ii_xpram. Looks like everything is fine now.

Good job guys!
jvj
Space Cadet

Post by jvj »

Thanks for these builds.

The XQuartz builds work the best for me - running Mavericks 10.9.1 on a MacBook Pro Retina. For some reason every SDL build I've tried causes severe mouse lag on my setup.

One issue I've noticed. I'm using bridge1 in the Ethernet Interface in the BasiliskIIGUI (etherhelper/tap0/bridge0/en2) since I already have bridge0 in use. In looking at the source code for etherhelpertool it appears to have been hard-coded to destroy bridge0 upon exit, rather than the bridge that was created on startup of BasiliskII (in my case bridge1). So what it means is that I lose bridge0 and have to manually destroy bridge1 from the command line after exiting BasiliskII, otherwise networking doesn't work on subsequent restarts of BasiliskII.

Any chance of getting this minor issue fixed with a new build please?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I forwarded your issue to the developer. Let's hope a solution will be forthcoming.

Best,
Cat_7
jvj
Space Cadet

Post by jvj »

Thanks Cat_7.

P.S. Couldn't find a way to edit my post above, but there is a minor typo - the parameters I'm using for the Ethernet Interface in the BasiliskII GUI are "etherhelper/tap0/bridge1/en2" not "etherhelper/tap0/bridge0/en2".
sentient06
Mac Mechanic

Re: Basilisk with Appletalk support; ML and upwards

Post by sentient06 »

Sorry, just double-checking.. this won't work in SheepShaver, will it?
I am trying to document SheepShaver preferences options and I realised the "ether" option is platform-specific, but maybe it shares code with Basilisk II (I didn't investigate), hence my doubt.

Thanks!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

No, this code in implemented in a specific build of Basilisk only.
I tried to persuade the developer to also implement it in SheepShaver, but I was unsuccessful.

Best,
Cat_7
diakonia
Student Driver

Post by diakonia »

i have a performa rom that appears to work but I'm having trouble getting a fully working Mac OS 6.x, 7.x, and 8.1 to install. The only one I found was some half-working 7.5.3 that was missing a lot of networking stuff. I actually have floppies and CDs for these but cannot seem to get them mounted - some of them are ones that came with a computer instead of retail versions. I'm wishing there was a "cubby bunny" version for basilisk II" that was more click and go
diakonia
Student Driver

Post by diakonia »

i was able to get basilisk to run with networking - it sees my old appletalk laser printer but I do not see my windows home server 2003 drives like I used to do on an old mac os 9 mac - guess I need to try to get sheep shaver to work to access it. I installed 7.5.3 thus far on basilisk ii - anyone have any ideas of how I can setup basilisk to have more afp protocol support?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

No; you have to go the other direction and get AppleTalk networking to function on your more modern systems. AppleShare IP isn't enough. netatalk will do it for you on OS X and Linux; not sure if there's a cygwin/mingw variant for Windows.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

At least on Windows Server 2003, appletalk support could be installed by means of the "Services for Macintosh". One could then designate a folder in which files coming from Macintoshes were stored.

If I remember correctly the initial question was how to combine files now stored separately on the server to be used again on a Mac. Do we not have some discussion/tools on the forum addressing this issue?

See this link: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 90929.aspx
from this post: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... f=1&t=7593

Best,
cat_7
diakonia
Student Driver

Post by diakonia »

i setup file services for mac on windows 2003 server and got sheep shaver and basiskii to connect to it - but it connects to them and does not surface the resource forks. i have some applications that are on there that are 68k or PPC apps with resource and data forks - and it only sees the data forks. I even tried opening the files in resedit and it says "no resource fork do you want to create one" or something like that. The icons I mount using appleshare in chooser say format of appleshare. I made sure when i created the shares that they were "Mac only" - no windows access to those share names but it still seems to be using samba i guess. does anyone have any ideas?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Did you check the macfile command?

This is a short instruction from http://flylib.com/books/en/4.487.1.193/1/

Using Macfile Forkize

The remaining command, Macfile Forkize, is much like a Swiss Army knife—it has several useful functions that aren't needed often but that are occasionally really handy. You use Macfile Forkize to do two things: change the type or creator code for a file or combine the resource and data forks of a file. Here's the command syntax:

MACFILE FORKIZE
/TARGETFILE:filepath
[/SERVER:\\computername]
[/TYPE:typecode]
[/CREATOR:creatorcode]
[/DATAFORK:filepath]
[/RESOURCEFORK:filePath]

The /TARGETFILE switch designates the full path to the file you want to forkize. If you're combining a data and resource fork, /TARGETFILE specifies where the resulting file goes. If you're changing a type or creator, it specifies where the file to be modified is currently located. As always, paths that contain special characters or spaces must be enclosed in double quotes.
The /TYPE and /CREATOR switches let you specify the four-character type and creator codes for a particular file. For example, to change a single file so that its type is TEXT and its creator code matches the code for Macromedia's Dreamweaver, you'd use this command:

macfile forkize /targetfile:f:\shared\html\welcome.htm /type:TEXT
/creator:DmWr

This is a quick way to fix up types and creators of existing files after you change the associations using the methods described earlier in this chapter (except that you can't use wildcards with the /TARGETFILE switch, so you'll need another way to process multiple files, like a short Windows Scripting Host [WSH] script).
The /DATAFORK and /RESOURCEFORK switches specify the locations of the files whose forks you want to join. FSM doesn't check whether your request makes sense or not, so there's nothing stopping you from welding the resource fork of Microsoft Word 98 for the Macintosh onto the data fork of a document, for example.