Using a virtual serial port

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ururk
Space Cadet

Using a virtual serial port

Post by ururk »

I'm having trouble getting a virutal serial port to show up under OS 7 using Basilisk II:

Host: OS X Sonoma
ROM: Quadra 900
CPU: 68040

On my host, if I create a serial port:

Code: Select all

Code:
socat -d -d pty,rawer,echo=0,ispeed=1200,ospeed=1200 pty,rawer,echo=0,ispeed=1200,ospeed=1200
2024/01/03 18:11:13 socat[24586] N PTY is /dev/ttys008
2024/01/03 18:11:13 socat[24586] N PTY is /dev/ttys009
2024/01/03 18:11:13 socat[24586] N starting data transfer loop with FDs [5,5] and [7,7]
I add /dev/ttys008 it to Modem Port or Printer Port (in Basilisk II GUI), but nothing shows up in system 7. Do I need to install an extension in OS 7? Or am I missing something?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Using a virtual serial port

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

As far as I am aware, no serial ports are available in current versions of BasiliskII and those settings are non-functional.

What do you want to use the ports for? Maybe there is a different way to achieve what you want.
ururk
Space Cadet

Post by ururk »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:35 pm As far as I am aware, no serial ports are available in current versions of BasiliskII and those settings are non-functional.

What do you want to use the ports for? Maybe there is a different way to achieve what you want.
I'm running macteminal on an SE (os 6) connected via serial to a python program running on a modern machine. With another person we have that setup working.

Rather than do my development with the vintage machine, I'd like to emulate it as close as possible, and do my final testing on the SE. Specifically, I need to test macterminal and how it behaves - ie, how it handles arrow key presses, backspace, and so forth.

Would I be better off with another emulator? I got the sense that Sheepsaver might pass through serial?
Last edited by ururk on Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ururk
Space Cadet

Post by ururk »

One other option - maybe. socat lets one define a TCP port for the byte stream:

socat -d -d tcp-l:5760 pty,rawer,echo=0,ispeed=1200,ospeed=1200
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

ururk wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:45 pm
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:35 pm As far as I am aware, no serial ports are available in current versions of BasiliskII and those settings are non-functional.

I'm running macteminal on an SE (os 6) connected via serial to a python program running on a modern machine. With another person we have that setup working.

Rather than do my development with the vintage machine, I'd like to emulate it as close as possible, and do my final testing on the SE. Specifically, I need to test macterminal and how it behaves - ie, how it handles arrow key presses, backspace, and so forth.

Would I be better off with another emulator? I got the sense that Sheepsaver might pass through serial?
You'd probably be better off with the SE version of Mini vMac which actually emulates a Mac SE(ish) instead of a Quadra 900; the catch here is that you'd have to build it yourself, as there's no pre-built standard variation.

The default build of Basilisk II only supports System 7.0 and up anyway; you'll need to either do a custom build with 24-bit addressing enabled, or just use a different emulator.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 2nWC9_t2w/ shows which emulators support which OS versions, and the Hardware Needed column lists which hardware the emulator "supports" - in quotes because very few Mac emulators actually accurately emulate specific reference hardware; they're usually trying to run particular OS versions instead.
ururk
Space Cadet

Post by ururk »

I was able to get a build of Mini vMac for an SE / System 6, installed System 6. I was able to install MacTerminal 3, but after which I found out Mini vMac doesn't support serial.
Last edited by ururk on Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.