System 7.5.3 01of19.smi file not recognized - help please

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

mmarinheiro
Space Cadet

System 7.5.3 01of19.smi file not recognized - help please

Post by mmarinheiro »

Hello everyone,

This is an already discussed subject but couldn't find a sollution on other posts so here goes.

I am trying to run basilisk on a powerbook G4 with OSX 10.5.8 and I can't get the 19 files of System 7.5.3 to be recognized. I downloaded them using this powerbook and tenfourfox browser and they look good on my host system (first one has .smi.bin extension and the rest have .part.bin) but on basilisk they all have the same icon and opening the first results in error "could not be opened because the application program that created it cannot be found".

A user went around this by using mini vMac to create the installer file but I don't know how to do this and the link he provided to the installer is not working anymore..

I am quite sure I followed the instructions on http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/bas ... _osx_setup to the letter, although my version (which is the latest, 2009) of BasiliskIIGUI does not have the JIT compiler tab so I assumed it was already pre-set and skipped that step

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your attention
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: System 7.5.3 01of19.smi file not recognized - help pleas

Post by adespoton »

.bin means the parts are all macBinary encoded; you'll need to decode them (Stuffit Expander is probably a good idea here) before you can do anything with the SMI. Since you're on a Mac, the resource forks should be preserved after the decoding (which is what the .bin does on non-mac filesystems).
mmarinheiro
Space Cadet

Post by mmarinheiro »

thank you adespoton that worked! but now, although the icon on the first part seems to be right when I double-click it it just seems to expand and immediatly collapse a window and no cd image appears on the desktop as the guide says.. any help with that?

Thank you in advance
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

double-clicking may have difficulties due to file associations being lost. Run it through stuffit expander instead; you may have better luck with this. Someone who has actually read the guide would probably be able to help better if this doesn't work.
mmarinheiro
Space Cadet

Post by mmarinheiro »

I already got it to work! I dragged all of the bin files at once to stuffit on my host OS which mounted the disk with the installer, which I then moved to basilisk and is installing now, hopefully will go well.

Thank you very much for your help!
henl4710
Space Cadet

Post by henl4710 »

I have this problem, and, unfortunately no easy access to a Mac. I've tried stuffit on the PC, but it doesn't recognize the .bin extension. I'm doing this project on a Win 7 box. I hate to ask, but would someone be willing to create the System 7.5.3 .dsk or .hfv and upload it?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

change the extension from .bin to .macbin or even .appledouble or .hqx if you want -- stuffit doesn't unpack based on file extension but on contents.

However, I think your problem is likely not with the extension being recognized, but the fact that the contents of the .bin file contain a resource fork -- which would be lost when expanding on a FAT file system. You could always do it in HFV explorer or via Mini vMac (stick it inside a disk image) or via an existing BII/SS install by dropping it in the shared folder and extracting from within the emulator.

You may also just need to upgrade to a more recent version of Expander (can't remember what company hosts it now) that will expand a multi-fork file into multiple parts on a FAT filesystem. All you should need is the data part (it contains the actual disk image), not the executable resource part (which contains the bit that mounts the image without using Disk Utility).