Symbols not found error when building from source

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Symbols not found error when building from source

Post by emendelson »

I think this has been answered already, but I can't find the solution, and will be grateful for any help.

Following the how-to-build guide on this site, I successfully built BasiliskII on the command-line in OS X 10.6, and built SheepShaver with Xcode.

Now, I've gone back to the original source code, and followed the instructions to the letter, but when I try to build BasiliskII, the make fails with these lines:
"_SDL_ListModes", referenced from:
sdl_display_dimensions(int&, int&)in video_sdl.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [BasiliskII] Error 1
A search suggests that this may have to do with trying to build for the wrong architecture, but I can't figure out how to solve it. What puzzles me is that I did build BII correctly earlier.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'll be grateful.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Symbols not found error when building from source

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The SDL you build with should be built with the same compiler and bit size as Basilisk. Can you paste your build steps? Did you do a "make clean" for both?

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Symbols not found error when building from source

Post by emendelson »

Cat_7 wrote: The SDL you build with should be built with the same compiler and bit size as Basilisk. Can you paste your build steps? Did you do a "make clean" for both?
Thank you! You put your finger on the problem. I did do a "make clean" for both, but it didn't help. The problem was that I had installed MacPorts in this build environment (in order to build DOSBox) and installed some of the gcc compilers in MacPorts, probably with different bittiness. When I uninstalled all the ports and tried again, I built both BII and SS successfully from the command line.

It may be worth saying in the wiki that you're more likely to get good results in a clean build environment with only Xcode installed, nothing else.