System 7 smi invalid checksum

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

in3D
Inquisitive Elf

Re: System 7 smi invalid checksum

Post by in3D »

I would, but I don't know how.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

in3D wrote:I would, but I don't know how.
I presume you're admitting to not having time ;) It'll be a learning curve for anyone who attempts it.
in3D
Inquisitive Elf

Post by in3D »

Actually, because of my age, I have time. I just don't know where I would start.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

First step would be familiarizing yourself with how the build process works; taking the source from the site and building it locally. Then doing the same with ARAnyM. After that, you'd need to read through the source code to figure out in general what it's doing (this may involve a cheat sheet if you don't know the programming language).
in3D
Inquisitive Elf

Post by in3D »

Would this be possible for someone who's only coding experience is in HTML?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Sure... it would have a learning curve, but if you're intelligent enough to get these emulators running, you should be able to move on to learning how to build from scratch, then tweak the builds, then port some functionality, even if you never learn how to write something totally new. Learning how to write software takes a while to minimize your mistakes, but there's lots of free help available, and the result is very liberating :)
in3D
Inquisitive Elf

Post by in3D »

OK. Maybe I'll try it. I'm gonna need help though!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I am afraid adespoton makes it sound easier than it is.

Building the applications from source is not difficult. You can download the BasiliskII/SheepShaver source code from https://github.com/cebix/macemu ("Download ZIP" button at bottom right).

Our instructions for building the applications can be found here: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/com ... r_basilisk

Understanding the source code is more difficult. Go through the files in the BasiliskII and SheepShaver source and see if the content makes any sense to you.
in3D
Inquisitive Elf

Post by in3D »

If you just mean to look at the tree, yes I do understand the files. I assume cpu_emulation.h is what will need to be modified. (Last update of this component was 6 years ago!)

EDIT: .h is the extension for plain old C right? C is hard isn't it?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I am an expert user, not a programmer. This is as far as I can help you. Maybe others can help you further. But you will need to learn programming and you will need to learn how the old Mac hardware works to be able to put that in emulation code. I do not know how hard it is to learn all that.
in3D
Inquisitive Elf

Post by in3D »

Do you know of anyone who could help?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

What we need is a kickstarter campaign to hire an experienced programer to carry out the improvements that we want. :)
in3D
Inquisitive Elf

Post by in3D »

I'm not sure if that was a joke or not. If it wasn't, I think it's an awesome idea.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I think it would be wonderful to use a kickstarter campaign to pay one of the original developers of the emulators for their time. But not really feasible since the community here isn't terribly large.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Perhaps it would be interesting to ask the developers to describe a kickstarter-alike project aimed at fixing several issues they and we define.

Posting it at a crowsourcing or other site could bring our "problems" to a wider audience, and perhaps get some devs interested for a limited fee, appealing to his/her hobbyism. I would suggest letting one of our current devs do the negotiations and quality control ;-)

Maybe we can combine asking original devs with the recent interest from these two museum's digital preservation departments, asking them to donate. I guess that would be my first step when trying to set something up.

Best,
Cat_7