System 7 smi invalid checksum

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

in3D
Inquisitive Elf

System 7 smi invalid checksum

Post by in3D »

Hi, it's been a while, but I still like Macs! (Old ones... don't care for x64 ones.) Anyways, I can't seem to get System 7 to install, I followed the tutorial, but I always get an invalid checksum error. So, I tried clicking skip when it analysed the files, and then I got an unknown error.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: System 7 smi invalid checksum

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Running BasiliskII in Windows? Then disable the JIT compiler with BasiliskIIGUI.exe to solve the checksum issue.
in3D
Inquisitive Elf

Post by in3D »

Can I re-enable it later?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

As fas as I am aware, yes.
in3D
Inquisitive Elf

Post by in3D »

OK, it worked, but now I'm having other problems. I keep trying to install TCP/IP, but the installer says I already have it. I tell it to install it anyway, but it doesn't work. Also, the Apple menu control panel doesn't work.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

System 7.5.3 has both classic networking (with control panels Network and MacTCP) and Open Transport networking (with control panels AppleTalk and TCP/IP) installed. One is enabled, the other one is invisible. You can switch between the two using the Network Software Selector that is installed in the Apple Extras folder.

There is no Apple menu control panel. There is an Apple Menu Options control panel where you can set submenus in the Apple menu on or off. If that does not work, try removing Apple Menu Options Prefs from the Preferences folder in the System Folder and start again BasiliskII.
in3D
Inquisitive Elf

Post by in3D »

OK so the TCP/IP worked, but the Apple menu settings panel still won't open. And, this might sound dumb, but, how do you switch users?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You did try removing the "Apple Menu Options Prefs" file from System Folder:Preferences (drag it to the Trash), shut down BasiliskII and again start up BasiliskII?

Switch users? In System 7.5.3? Exactly what do you mean? There is no such thing as different users in 7.5.3.
in3D
Inquisitive Elf

Post by in3D »

I did try removing the Prefs file. It didn't work. I have a control panel called "Users and Groups." I made a new user with it, and I want to log in as it.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

"Users & Groups" is used to configure who can connect to your hard drive over a network under File Sharing. It is not simple to connect to the BasiliskII emulated machine from your network, if at all possible. If you want to try, study this guide: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/app ... er_windows
in3D
Inquisitive Elf

Post by in3D »

Oh. I thought it meant user accounts for logging in. So is there any way to fix the apple menu prefs issue? (Besides deleting its prefs file)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

It is strange that removing the prefs file did not solve the problem. The Apple Menu Options control panel was always problematic and its prefs file used to get corrupted easily. But removing that file used to always be the solution. After moving the prefs file to the Trash you need to shut down the emulated machine and start it again before you try the control panel again. A new prefs file will be created with default settings (submenus on, remember recently used items enabled, 10 each category).
in3D
Inquisitive Elf

Post by in3D »

Actually, a new prefs file didn't appear...
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Maybe something wrong with the control panel itself? The new prefs file will be created when the control panel is launched. It probably is an application disguised as a control panel, not something that is loaded at startup. But when it does not open... Strange. I cannot think of a possible cause or a solution.
Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

I’d recommend just trashing the buggy Apple Menu Options panel and go with a shareware panel like BeHierarchic.  It has more features, and the versions I know of are meant for the Classic environment (both B2 and SS, no problem).  (Note: the BeHierarchic host, octave.net is gone; available at the Macintosh Garden.)
in3D
Inquisitive Elf

Post by in3D »

Solved. I reinstalled it using the 7.5.3 installer. Now it works! Thank you for all the help. BTW, has anyone here tried to install Linux/m68k in Basilisk II?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I'd agree -- I always stuck with BeHeiarchic and Menuette back in the day; Apple's foray into that space was always somewhat buggy.
Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

in3D wrote:Solved. I reinstalled it using the 7.5.3 installer. Now it works! Thank you for all the help. BTW, has anyone here tried to install Linux/m68k in Basilisk II?
I once tried NetBSD on a real 68K Mac… that went nowhere; all that work just to type 'reboot'.

I could see if I could get Linux/m68k running in Basilisk II for you.
in3D
Inquisitive Elf

Post by in3D »

Oh no, you don't need to do that if you don't want to. I was going to try anyway.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Since the MMU is not emulated by Basilisk II, you won't be able to run Linux in the emulator. :(

Years ago, I once posted a link to this site:

http://aranym.org/

"ARAnyM is a software virtual machine (similar to VirtualBox or Bochs) designed and developed for running 32-bit Atari ST/TT/Falcon operating systems (TOS, FreeMiNT, MagiC and Linux-m68k)..."

http://wiki.aranym.org/afs/setup_linux

Which was too difficult for me to set up.

Feel free to start a new forum topic about Linux m68k.
in3D
Inquisitive Elf

Post by in3D »

Aww... I wanted to run it on a Mac... But there is in fact a chance that linux/m68k doesn't require an MMU. uClinux is a version of the linux kernel that is designed to run on microcontrollers that have no MMU, and it's been ported to 68k, and with the number of older Macs that don't have MMUs, it would only be practical for the Mac version of linux/m68k to not require one. I'm going to try it anyway.

EDIT: After reading the sourceforge page, you are indeed right ClockWise, it does require an MMU. :cry:

EDIT 2: So why doesn't Basilisk II emulate the MMU?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

in3D wrote: EDIT 2: So why doesn't Basilisk II emulate the MMU?
Because it would take immense amounts of time, effort, and knowledge to write the code, and the people who have the ability tend to prefer to do work that they get paid for. When a generous volunteer decides to do it, it will get done. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Question though: does ARAnyM emulate an MMU? The page references "some" compatibility with the Falcon, which used the MC68030 chip, which was the first one to use the MMU. The Atari TT also used the MMU. The ST, of course, did not.
in3D
Inquisitive Elf

Post by in3D »

It appears to. Why not borrow some of it's code and implement it into Basilisk II?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

in3D wrote:It appears to. Why not borrow some of it's code and implement it into Basilisk II?
The answer is that we don't currently have anyone modifying the actual emulation segments of the BII and SheepShaver code. If anyone with some spare time is willing to step forward and implement it (assuming no license conflicts), I'm sure the entire community would be extremely grateful.