Unix disk doesn't show up

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

junodog
Space Cadet

Unix disk doesn't show up

Post by junodog »

Hi,
I started working on Basilisk II yesterday to get it set up on my computer, following the instructions here and I've gotten to the point where I can open the program, but the Unix disk/shared folder thing is nowhere to be seen. I've been trying to find a solution and it seems like there is something I can do to fix this, but for whatever reason I haven't managed to find it yet.

Basic info:
I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.8 on a 4-year-old macbook with an Intel Core
This is what it looks like in my finder, in Basilisk II GUI, and in Basilisk II when I open the program:
http://i.imgur.com/ZQjILck.png
http://i.imgur.com/qr88o2x.png
http://i.imgur.com/4klG7SL.png

And finally, here's the content of the .basilisk_ii_prefs file:
disk /BasiliskII/DiskTools_MacOS8.image
disk /BasiliskII/MacOS753
disk /BasiliskII/InstallerParts
extfs /Benji/BasiliskII/Shared
screen win/800/600
seriala
serialb
ether slirp
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom /BasiliskII/1mbMacrom/PERFORMA.ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 67108864
frameskip 0
modelid 14
cpu 4
fpu true
nocdrom false
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit true
jitfpu true
jitdebug false
jitcachesize 2048
jitlazyflush true
jitinline true
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
Is there something obvious I'm missing? I'll continue looking but any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Unix disk doesn't show up

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Welcome! It seems you have basilisk installed in /Benji/BasiliskII and have the shared folder called "Shared" inside BasiliskII. If so, the path to the folder at the Unix root entry in the GUI it snot correct. Your username is Benji, and that user' home folder is actually inside /Users.
So the Unix disk entry should be /Users/Benji/BasiliskII/Shared

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
junodog
Space Cadet

Post by junodog »

I just tried loading it again with the unix disk entry at /Users/Benji/BasiliskII/Shared but it still isn't showing up.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Try something simpler first, like

/Users/Benji

and then, when that works, change the string to the folder that you want. But definitely start with something that works and that you know corresponds to a real folder on your disk. (Make sure to use "benji" if your account name is actually "benji" and not "Benji".)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,
Did you set the mac model ID and cpu correctly?
They should be: Quadra900 and 68040

And please don't forget to set the model ID back to the model that supports Mac 7.x after installation and before starting Mac OS 7.5

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Judging by the paths to the disk images in your prefs file and by the images you showed, you have put your "BasiliskII" folder at root level on your MacBook's HD. Then the path to the folder "Shared" in that BasiliskII folder should simply be: /BasiliskII/Shared
junodog
Space Cadet

Post by junodog »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Judging by the paths to the disk images in your prefs file and by the images you showed, you have put your "BasiliskII" folder at root level on your MacBook's HD. Then the path to the folder "Shared" in that BasiliskII folder should simply be: /BasiliskII/Shared
...Huh. Well, I did that, and it's showing up now so I think that's it. Thanks!

Edit: Just finished the setup and everything is running smoothly, and in particular the application I wanted to run is working so I am very happy at the moment (especially since my older brother is an IT expert and he didn't think I could do it). Thanks again!