Can't Launch System 7.5.3 01of19.smi

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

trevorpsy
Student Driver

Can't Launch System 7.5.3 01of19.smi

Post by trevorpsy »

I downloaded the 19-part System 7.5.3 files from the link provided in your instructions, and I was able to get Basilisk II to run. However, when I attempted to install System 7.5.3 by double-clicking System 7.5.3 01of19.smi, I got the following truncated error message: Unable to execute "System 7.5.301of19.smi. This file cannot be use on this file system. Copy to a Macintosh HFS or Macintosh . . .

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Trevor
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Can't Launch System 7.5.3 01of19.smi

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

It might be you skipped an important step in the instructions: After you boot from the floppy disk image and see the required disks on your desktop, you need to copy all installer parts from the Unix disk to the Installer Parts disk. You can not run them from the Unix disk, nor from the desktop.

If in doubt whether you correctly initialised the Installer parts disk, just go to the Special/Erase disk menu and initialise the disk again with Mac standard format. Then copy the installer parts from the Unix disk to the Installer parts disk again and retry the installation.

Best,
Cat_7
trevorpsy
Student Driver

Post by trevorpsy »

Actually, I solved the problem. I rebooted the computer and all was well. I don't know why that worked, but it did.

So, it is running well; however, I was unable to get it to recognize my Myst CD, which is the main reason I installed it in the first place :-(
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Which is your host system?
trevorpsy
Student Driver

Post by trevorpsy »

Mavericks on an early 2008 MacPro.

I also emulate Snow Leopard via Parallels Desktop. Snow Leopard in emulation, however, doesn't want to recognize my Myst CD.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Mountain Lion and later prevent mounting CD-ROMs in SheepShaver and BasiliskII. You will need to use a disk image created from the CD. See this section (under 'Mountain Lion') in the SheepShaver setup manual, it applies to BasiliskII also: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... own_issues
trevorpsy
Student Driver

Post by trevorpsy »

Thanks so much! Not only for the tip, but for your quick reply.

I'm going to sleep now, but will check out your link tomorrow.

Take care,

Trevor
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

May I say I envy you because of that beast? http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/m ... specs.html
You will know that you can run 10.6 (or 10.5) natively, which would allow a lot of backward compatibility.
Separate partitions for SL can be created with DiskUtility on the fly.
If you can´t or don´t want to restart your server frequently, 10.6 in VMWare should handle the optical drive for SheepShaver.
trevorpsy
Student Driver

Post by trevorpsy »

Hi,

Like everything else having to do with SheepShaver, it's been an adventure! I was able after careful reading of your instructions to get Myst running. The only fly in the ointment is that the sound tends to break up. I think that I read that this could be remedied by turning off virtual memory. I tried launch the memory control panel and managed to crash Sheepshaver. So virtual memory remains in whatever state it began with.

Do you have any suggestions as to my sound problem?

BTW, my version of SheepShaverGUI.app is a PPC application. Is there an Intel version?

Fortunately, I've maintained a separate Snow Leopard hard drive for just such occasions and was able to make the necessary changes via Sheepshaver on my Snow Leopard drive.

I am very happy with my Mac. I bought it about 2 and 1/2 years ago used, and have never had a moment's problem. I don't play high-intensity games or with with 3-D images in Photoshop, so I've never felt the need to upgrade the video card. (I have better things to do with $600 or so.)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

trevorpsy wrote:I read that this could be remedied by turning off virtual memory. I tried launch the memory control panel and managed to crash Sheepshaver. So virtual memory remains in whatever state it began with.
As far as I know, virtual memory does not work in BasiliskII, regardless settings.
Do you have any suggestions as to my sound problem?
Not really. Sound is weak in these emulators.
BTW, my version of SheepShaverGUI.app is a PPC application. Is there an Intel version?
See: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... f=6&t=7361
You ,may want to have a look at the other sticky topics at the top of this BasiliskII forum as well. There are several Intel only builds for BasiliskII available.
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

If you are running SheepShaver or Basilisk II in Parallels Desktop 9, then that is probably the cause of your sound problem. This choppy sound bug was introduced in version 9. All applications with sound running in the VM have this problem. Is Myst the only program that is having sound problems?